Solved! dual boot win7 32bit and win xp 64 bit sp3 iso.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
my rig is asus p5ql pro,gt 730 nvidea.. 160gb harddrive having win7 32 bit, additionally bought another 160gb refurbished.. was using for just backup and silly stuffs..lately developed interest to dual boot ,i want to put up a win xp 64bit (sp3 iso) dual boot along with win 7 32 bit i have. did a bootable dvd,i chose a partition from second non os hardrive which i created from remaining space for 7gb and it loaded formatted well and copied and the problem started after restart. got a message -- operating system not found.. then corrected it to some extent ,then bcd boot 000f error came along..rectified it too.. now i am back to win7 32 bit... that was a hell of journey ! now i have win xp files in 7gb partitioned drive .. little idea would be helpful to achieve what i need here...thanks

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Maybe this can Help.

:cool:

P.S. I hope you are aware that Win XP was not updated for years and Win 7 get out of the Update circle next month. The issue us not much the Update per-se but the lack of Security updates that are part of it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, part of the issue I'm sure, is that XP uses "NTLDR" as the boot-loader, and Win7 uses "BCD" as the bootloader. Normally, you have to install the OLDER OS FIRST when doing a dual-boot, which would have meant installing XP (not sure about 64-bit, never used it) FIRST, and then install Win7, which installs BCD bootloaded, and then down-chains to NTLDR-style bootloader (which would then down-chain to Win9x-style bootloader, if Win9x was installer prior to XP).

Your best bet, OP, most likely is to install them independently, and thus, install them on their respective drives with all other drives unplugged, and then use the BIOS boot-loader hotkey to select between drives to boot. That's the way I do it, even today. Seems "cleaner" to me, no need to worry about bootloader for X OS drive being stuck on Y boot drive.

Reactions: RLGL

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
JackMDS yes ..i am aware :) just would use the win xp with out internet .. looks like have to go to win 10 soon.. with new hardrive .
VirtualLarry oh ya i did see that ntldr missing when i booted with just the second hardrive which i installed win xp...so i may have some hopes..thanks
yes i will unplug the win 7 now ... and see what to do with ntldr misssing... thanks for the idea...bootloader invidual drive..sounds clean and relief.
thanks ..merry christmas and a very happy new year..

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
here's how I dual boot:

1 hdd for OS 1
1hdd for OS 2

Use BIOS to choose boot drive.

I hate messing with BCD.

also win XP 64bit is actually windows server 2003 with lipstick on.

Reactions: corkyg

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I do the as Iron Woods using mobile racks. I have three of them. That way there are no conflicts, and I have ready backup drives should there be a failure.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
hi ..thanks all of you.. i found out what to do, i installed 32bit win xp thinking it was 64 bit(well was cheated by the website where i downloaded the iso file which said its 64 bit).. ok now.. i installed win xp in second hdd with first hdd unplugged which had win 7 32bit. then i plugged the first hdd .. loaded win 7 then used easybcd 1.7.2 to create boot from the selected drive in which winxp installed. then restarted .there was the dual boot.. win 7 then winxp.. never thought it would be so simple .thank you so much for your support guys. happp new year

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It is not Just simple, it is also the Best, and the Least cumbersome to use solution.

thums-upB.gif

:cool: