Dual boot El Capitan & Windows 7 on my Macbook

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
I have a Macbook 7.1 (2.4ghz C2D) with 4gb of DDR3 and a 60gb Muskin SSD. I want to dual boot El Captian and Windows 7 but the Bootcamp assistant says I cannot because I don't have enough free space on my SSD to create the partition and install Windows.

I've tried manually partitioning the drive but Bootcamp still says I don't have enough space (it says it requires 50gb free on the main drive but I only have 40 something gig).

Is there a way around this? I'd love to dual boot but I'd hate to have to purchase a new SSD just to do it, however cheap they may be. Thoughts on this?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
You're going to need more space, unless there is some kind of hack to do it. You might be able to yank the superdrive and put a HD in there instead. I'm not sure if that's possible with your model but it's a cool idea for many Macbooks to drastically increase storage. ifixit sells kits that include the caddy for the SSD and everything else you need. You can the connect the removed dvd drive up as an external drive if you need it.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Might be possible to install to a mechanical drive if you have one, and then do a little clean-up to delete unnecessary files and clone everything to the SSD then swap? You'll still have very little wiggle room for personal files, though, so an upgrade is probably your best option.