DSL question...does a business require you to get a Business DSL package?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'm helping my friend setup wifi for his cafes, and I'm investigating what type of DSL is required. I'm shooting for around 512/256 speeds, but he wants to aim for $50 or less per month per location. Any ideas for recommendations? This is in Seattle.

Rob

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
It shouldn't matter IMHO. Usually business DSL give you things like more IPs and e-mail addys. There's no problem using "consumer" DSL for the purpose your friend requires.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Do keep in mind that consumer DSL usually cannot be held responsible for downtime, which might be painful if he wants to run a website or mail server.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Speakeasy:)

Speakeasy, even though he had previous connections with them (he used to have these old machines in his cafe called RainMail terminals), quoted him over $100/mo per connection. :|

I'm not super concerned about downtime, etc., as the website hosting (www.cafeallegro.com) is being done by me. :D

Rob

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
If it's at a business address they'll probably charge you business prices which are > $50/mo in S.FL.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
"Business" DSL in the ISP sense usually means more IP's, more e-mail addresses, official stamp of approval for servers, routers, etc.

On the line side of things it typically means faster response to outages, extended support hours (and better support), and sometimes guaranteed uptime.

Regardless, DSL is still a poor man's substitute for a leased line (T1+). It's not going to be as fast, as reliable, or as well supported.

But for $50 a month it's a hell of a bargain.

Viper GTS

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
"Business" DSL in the ISP sense usually means more IP's, more e-mail addresses, official stamp of approval for servers, routers, etc.

On the line side of things it typically means faster response to outages, extended support hours (and better support), and sometimes guaranteed uptime.

Regardless, DSL is still a poor man's substitute for a leased line (T1+). It's not going to be as fast, as reliable, or as well supported.

But for $50 a month it's a hell of a bargain.

Viper GTS

The connection is only to have a free wifi hotspot to attract some of the Law Students from across the street. 90% of the Cafes in Seattle seem to offer free WiFi now, and even though I've been telling him to do it for 3 years, he's finally jumping on the bandwagon. :D

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Entity
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Speakeasy:)

Speakeasy, even though he had previous connections with them (he used to have these old machines in his cafe called RainMail terminals), quoted him over $100/mo per connection. :|

I'm not super concerned about downtime, etc., as the website hosting (www.cafeallegro.com) is being done by me. :D

Rob

But this was most likely for business level DSL.