DSL modem light blinking/keeps disconnecting

Scottee

Aug 25, 2002
First off, everything was working fine about a week ago. This setup has been solid with no problems for over a year now.

Here's the problem: Starting a couple days ago, AIM keeps getting disconnected every once in a while. Also, while web surfing, it fails to connect to the servers every once in a while. But then it's working again in a few seconds. So I think it's just randomly disconnecting, but only for a few seconds at a time. Then I noticed that the "ethernet" light on the DSL modem, which is supposed to always be solid, now kinda blinks every once in a while. It's as if it loses connection from the router for a second, and then reconnects. Here's the set up:

Speed Stream 5360 Ethernet ADSL Modem, running SBC Yahoo! DSL
connected to
wired SMC Barricade 4-port Router
which is what my computer connects to

The "DSL" light stays solid, so I don't think it's a problem with the DSL itself. It's the "ethernet" light that turns off for a second every once in a while. Could this be a problem with my router? Or a connection between the modem and the router? Everything on the router indicates that it has stayed connected to the DSL modem solidly for the last 366 hours. All of the indicator lights on the router have also been on solidly when they're supposed to. The only thing I've noticed different is the "ethernet" light on the modem not staying solid all the time.

Any ideas?