DSL line keeps going dead........

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
After I connect via my USB 4060 speedstream, I can surf the net, play multiplayer games, download files, and post messages at AT, but not for very long. After a few minutes, my line will just stop working. The modem will not send or recieve any information even though I am still connected. When I disconnect, open my DSL Connection, and click connect, it freezes at "Dialing". When I cntrl-alt-del it takes about 10 seconds for the Task Manager to pop up, then I can cancel the "Not Responding" program.

Im running a KT7 raid, tbird 1.1, 512 mb pc133 cas2, win98 se.

At first I thought it was a problem with the USB port, but now I am not sure since my Intellimouse Explorer works fine.

Any ideas?:|

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
You should start by calling your provider. They're gonna be much more help.

Jac59

Oct 5, 2000
Dialing??? Never heard of a DSL connection needing to dial,it's an always on connection.:confused:

flippinfleck

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2000
Actually, most DSL providers require that you use their PPP software. You still dial up, but not in the same sense. Verizon, for example, uses Winpoet. Nasty little bit of software, crashes quite often. When I hooked up my Linksys router though, I was able to uninstall their proprietary software. The router connects for me. I haven't had to 'disconnect' very often, and when I do it is a problem on their side.
Grim, try this site, that's where I went whenever I was having trouble w/my DSL.

goldboyd

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
just call your provider and tell them the problem. they will in turn open up a trouble ticket with the clec.