DSL filter gone bad

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I have two phonelines in my office. Line 1 is for voice. Line 2 is for DSL, my fax machine, and for a second phone line. Line 2 is rarely used for voice, but I've noticed since the DSL was installed (about three years) that there is a lot of background noise on line 2. I used the DSL line filters that ATT supplied.

This week my fax machine could send but not receive-it would ring and then you would get a busy signal. After tearing my hair out trying to fix it all week, I replaced the DSL line filter and now it works. The line 2 background noise is also down appreciably with the new filter (but still very noticeable).

My questions-do those filters have a service life? Should they be replaced periodically? Also, are there better and lesser quality ones available-and if so, what are the best? Finally, I've used DSL in single phone line homes that had a lot better line quality than I'm getting on line 2-any ideas?

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
While I am no expert with having two phone lines (only had DSL on a single phone line with voice and data), I haven't had the experience of a filter going bad. Chances are you may have had a bad filter (i.e. a hardware failure) and it just happened to affect your particular filter(s). As for better quality DSL filters, again I'm no expert, so I am not sure if there are aftermarket or 3rd party manufacturers that make quality filters.

EDIT: On second thought, apparently there are such DSL filters, as indicated on this google market page:

http://www.google.com/products...roup&ct=title&resnum=8

I guess it would be a "take your pick" of what you would like. While I don't recognize some of the companies that are selling these, looks like Radio Shack may have some decent ones. Again it'll be a "take your pick" of whom or what product you will need.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Install a DSL splitter/filter at the box where the telco service connects to the building.
Every filter you add to the line will lower the quality of both the voice and the dsl. So if you have a lot of phones or fax machines then the best thing to do is install a filter at the telco interface. You would then have one pair of wires that goes straight to the dsl modem. The phone and fax would have their own pairs. This keeps it all separate . You can pick up the boxes for about $30.

http://www.thetelecomspot.com/...s-splitter-p-4860.html

cmetz

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2001
Thump553, there really isn't anything to "go bad" in the filters, but they're cheaply made, and, more importantly, they're the wrong solution to the problem. They're just a bad idea, and the only reason telcos send them to you is to save them the cost of a truck roll to have a service tech install a splitter.

Like Modelworks said, you need an ADSL splitter, which goes next to your NID. I won't say that a splitter is a cure-all, but when folks with DSL who are using filters have problems with the ADSL line or the POTS line, the splitter fixes the problem most of the time. It's possible that there's more to this problem, such as a defect in the cable plant, but the splitter is the first thing you need to do in order to address this problem.

ADSL splitters are like $10 and not at all hard to install. If you really push the issue, most ADSL LECs will send out a service tech on a repair call to install one for you.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
There are millions of cars on the road, some of them are Hot Rods. People who have Hot Rods are very proud of them, but if we demand that the Auto industry should switch manufacture Only Hot Rods many of us would Not be able any more to afford a car.

So I am pleased with my $19.99 DSL, and if it means that every few years I might need to put a New Filter it is fine by me.

After all every here and there I have to change Batteries in many Gizmos that I have. The Water Purifier need periodically filter too. My house is made of pure ceadar (Not Plastic) so it needs periodically painting too, etc., etc.

On the other hand if one enjoys Hot Rods it very nice. So by all means if you can, install a splitter and a separate line for the DSL.