DSL -- difference between VDSL2 and ADSL2

Oct 30, 2004
I currently have crappy overpriced CenturyLink DSL at 1.5 Mbps down and higher speed is now available in my area. However, I was told that it's using VDSL2 and that my current DSL modem/router isn't compatible with it.

I've been doing some research, and I was wondering if someone could clear up the confusion I have between VDSL2 and ADSL2. Do those terms mean the same thing, as in, "A DSL modem that will work for ADSL2 will also work for VDSL2"?

Could anyone recommend an affordable VDSL2 modem? Is this one for VDSL2? It's specs seem to call it an ADSL2 modem: ActionTek PK5000

Last edited:

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
I currently have crappy overpriced CenturyLink DSL at 1.5 Mbps down and higher speed is now available in my area. However, I was told that it's using VDSL2 and that my current DSL modem/router isn't compatible with it.

I've been doing some research, and I was wondering if someone could clear up the confusion I have between VDSL2 and ADSL2. Do those terms mean the same thing, as in, "A DSL modem that will work for ADSL2 will also work for VDSL2"?

Could anyone recommend an affordable VDSL2 modem? Is this one for VDSL2? It's specs seem to call it an ADSL2 modem: ActionTek PK5000

Don't have any personal experience. But since VDSL2 and ADSL2 are goverened by two different ITU standards, I'd be surprised if your modem would work with both.

Best of luck,
Uno

Oct 30, 2004
Yup. I've done some further research and learned that ADSL2 is what I already have and that it's the common DSL modem-routers and is often capped at 1.5 Mbps. What I need is a special VDSL2 modem-router. Unfortunately these are hard to find outside of eBay, and it seems like the only manufacturer is ActionTec.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Several companies make VDSL2 modems. However, many are sold only to ISPs.

If your ISP is pushing VDSL2, then don't they have their own they're renting out?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
A lot of times, VDSL auth is certificate-based, and thus you cannot supply your own modem.

ADSL2 is the older standard and maxes out at 22mbps down per stream. Loop lengths are longer and it's a bit more tolerant of line issues.

VDSL is a newer standard and maxes out at 100mbps down per stream, depending on loop length. Distance from the DSLAM is much more important, but speeds can be much higher.

The two are not compatible, though there are some modems that support both.

Advances in hardened DSLAM technology has made it possible for telcos to deploy DSLAMs in RTs and pedastals, which significantly cuts down on the distance between subscribers and DSLAMs. This means that you can now have VDSL, where as before it was available only to those very near the CO. Some telcos are doing this with ADSL DSLAMs, too. For instance, I can get 18mbps ADSL where I live.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
VDSL2 is ethernet, ADSL2 is ATM on layer2
There are still some compatibility issues between DSLAM and different VDSL2 modems, putting a non-ISP modem on a VDSL2 line is not a guarantee for having sync.
There are modems that are compatible with different flavours ( I have VDSL2 service but my Sagem modem is compatible with ADSL and ADSL2+).

CenturyLinkHelp

Aug 27, 2012
Hey WhipperSnapper, this is B with the CenturyLink Help Team. We do offer VDSL2 modems for lease as well as purchase. If you need further assistance with your DSL service and/or account, please send me your information via this webform: http://bit.ly/IArNlt
Thanks,

B
CenturyLink Help Team

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
When I switched to CenturyLink's VDSL service recently, it seemed there really was no option to buy my own VDSL modem. They said I had to rent or buy their modem, which is an Actiontel Q1000.

Though the built in router seems terrible, so I need to get a new router.

throwaway79

Feb 11, 2013
Recently I noticed my service via ADSL was at 3gpbs when I was under contract for 5mps. I called and customer service verified this and gave me a reference number indicating that I was not getting my contracted speed. They scheduled an appointment for a tech to come out. I refused to be at home for this since this was their problem. The tech called me and explained that they have been upgrading to VDSL2 and that as more people switched it would affect my speed.

He informed me that to switch to the new VDSL2 I would need a new modem. Since they were unable to get me the 5mpbs that I was under contract for on ADSL, he said that I would be compensated for the price of the new modem. He asked me if I knew how to set it up, which I did, then he left it under my porch.

After configuring the modem, I noticed that I was getting 7mpbs. I called customer service and was told that I was also automatically upgraded to that service at the same price, with no promotional period.

For anyone in this situation, demand that you get compensated for the cost of the new modem.

This has been the first and only good experience I have ever had with any ISP.

Last edited: