DS3 3.3 > 2GB poor overclocking

mgutz

Mar 1, 2007
[oops wrong section, this should be in motherboards]

I should say it's not poor overclocking but underachieving.

After purchasing an e4300 CPU and more memory I was able to try different combinations with this board. My current setup is e6300, DS3 3.3, 4x1GB OCZ Platinum. Now that I'm a little beyond noob status in overclocking I wanted to see how far I could push this board. Here's something interesting, my board seems to have a limit at 3.0Ghz with 4GB. Here's the combinations I tried:

e4300 x 7, 4x1GB OCZ
e4300 x 8, 4x1GB OCZ
e4300 x 7, 2x2GB Patriots
e6300 x 7, 4x1GB OCZ
e6300 x 7, 2x2GB Patriots

I decided on Vista x64 so I bought memory to 4GB. When I initially put in 4x1GB of memory I had decrease my overclock, blaming the OCZ memory which I bought on sale for a good price at the time. (I APOLOGIZE OCZ, I CRITICIZED THE XTC PLATINUM AS POOR OVERCLOCKERS IN MY NEWEGG REVIEW) I was at 3.0Ghz on 2x1GB but had to settle on 2.8Ghz with my e6300. The DS3 seems to have a sweet spot 2.8Ghz for the e6300 and 2.7Ghz for the e4300. Everything is at stock voltage with the Vdimm raised pert the manufacturer. Anything more than that requires a lot of overvolting. The e4300 need 1.47 volts to get to 3.0Ghz.

No matter how much I increased the volts I hit a wall at 3.0 Ghz with all the combinations above. There must be something in the DS3 board that gets tripped up with 4GB of memory. The board simply refused to boot if I set the parameters to be greater than 3.0Ghz.

Since I had my case open trying out the diffent combos , I decided to see how well this board overclocks at 2x1GB. I'm at 3.4GHz (6300, 485 x 7) on air running memtest as we speak. My limitation right now seems to be cooling (i am considering water cooling). I'm only using 1.35 VCore. I have Big Typhoon on low RPM and stock heatsink northbridge.

I'm a software guy and don't know much behind the electronics in these boards. Is there anything related to 4GB and 3.0 Ghz? Since I am liking Vista x64 can anyone recommend a good overclocking board that works well with 8GB? I run lots of VMWare machines.

update: my computer just hung while testing 3.4Ghz, no doubt it's my cooling. I wont bother with increasing the volts more until I get better cooling. I'm amaze it even booted and ran 6 passes of memtest #5 successfully. i would try the e4300 with 2x1GB but tired of remounting this big heatsink.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I've heard about this from sever other members. Maybe DS3 has an issue with 4GB of RAM? Have you checked AT's review on DS3?

mgutz

Mar 1, 2007
The DS3 is rock stable with 4GB of ram (i'll try 6GB later) as long as you don't go over 2.8Ghz on an e6300. That has been my configuration for months. I thought going to two stick would give me better ocing but it didn't. I became envious others were getting really high oc with the chips I had with a DS3 so I had to get to the root of it. I"m not so envious anymore and I can sleep better :)