Drywall Gap question

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Hey folks,

I'm currently re-modeling my basement, and I had a question about drywall. Part of my re-model is to add a curb-less shower. The drain is going to be a linear drain at the right side of the shower at the bottom of the slop (see pic). I understand that when you hang drywall, you are supposed to leave a gap between the foundation and the drywall base (I used a 1/2" around the perimeter).

My question is, when I add tile to the shower (floor and wall), are you supposed to put a waterproof membrane all the way down to the bottom of the floor (thereby covering the drywall gap), or just to the edge of the drywall? I think the answer is put the membrane to the bottom, and when I combine the underlayment with the wall membrane it will be sealed off. I just want to make sure.

Any thoughts, tips are appreciated.

Model pics attached

Attachments

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
yes you need to waterproof your shower. I think i would use cement board and redguard. you really should not have drywall behind the tile or whatever your finish is at all.

Oct 15, 1999
Waterproof the shower pan and the walls. Don't use sheetrock anywhere in the shower. Hardibacker, wonderboard, goboard, or densheild will do the job.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Yup.. they will get moldy and break apart behind

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Alright noted. I am all new to this so any feedback is appreciated. What about the ceiling above the shower? I'm not putting tile on it, just the three surrounding walls. (Picture attached w/update).

I found a youtube video explaining the gap as well (stating the backer-board has that gap, and you fill the gap with the tile.

Attachments

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
When I first met my wife she was renting a room from a slumlord. The guy had converted a tub to a shower simply by adding a showerhead. The walls were still painted drywall. They were squishy.

ASK THE COMMUNITY