"Drycleaned" vs. "Laundered" vs. "Butt-raped".....

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
So every once in a blue moon I treat myself to dry cleaning. I had 9 shirts today that are all semi-dress (think Dockers). All short-sleeve, some cotton, some rayon, some 50/50. I usually only do this during summer and they only get it every-other- wash.

So, over the last couple years I've seen it go from $1.25/shirt to $1.75/shirt to $2.00/shirt to (sometimes I don't know what they're chargin' me)

TODAY.........I go to this new dry cleaner to see if I can get lower rates.

Well, the gal starts separating my shirts into "dry clean" and "laundered". I'm like........WTF??? I'm at a "DRY CLEANERS" so I assumed ALL my shirts are getting "DRY CLEANED", no??

Total came to $23!!!!!!!! TWENTY-THREE F~$#~% DOLLARS!!!!!!

I paid in advance 'cuz I'm a puzzy and I work at Initech........;)

What's up??? Laundered?? Not ALL dry-cleaned??? Am I simply an ignoramuss?? :D

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I wouldn't dry clean a shirt that doesn't need to be dry cleaned.

When they launder your shirts, do they also iron them?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Some fabrics are cleaned & pressed while others are best dry-cleaned based on the care labels.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Mugs,

Yes........all are pressed........(about the only REAL reason I go to the cleaners anyway).

I like them sleeves pressed so you can cut an apple on 'em.........:p

(My wife just said my father-in-law gets his done for $1.25/shirt. Will have to find out where he gets his done) :confused:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
When I receive a dry clean only clothing item (typically as a gift) I just throw it in with the rest of the stuff. If the washer or drier destroys said item, I know that it wasn't mean to be.

Call me lazy, but I refuse to make special trips for clothing.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike
When I receive a dry clean only clothing item (typically as a gift) I just throw it in with the rest of the stuff. If the washer or drier destroys said item, I know that it wasn't mean to be.

:thumbsup:

Dec 10, 2005
The only thing I would dry clean is my suit. Otherwise, everything goes into the washer/dryer with no sort of special sorting. The only other time my laundry has something special is with a new t-shirt. I'll throw that in with like-colors because the first time it is washed, the colors will most likely bleed.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Sounds like either the last 3 posters are all unemployed or just work from home??

:p

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
last 4 posters unemployed or just work from home? who wears short-sleeved shirts?

anyway, dry cleaning is getting ridiculously expensive... just did a single shirt and trousers last week and it was 9$+... WTF~

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: thirtythree
Originally posted by: PingSpike

:thumbsup:

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: LS20
last 4 posters unemployed or just work from home? who wears short-sleeved shirts?

anyway, dry cleaning is getting ridiculously expensive... just did a single shirt and trousers last week and it was 9$+... WTF~

Someone who can 'cuz he calls the shots where he works! :p

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
If i bring regular shirts or pants that don't need dry cleaning, i bring it to get them pressed, because i suck at ironing.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Shirts = "launder"
"Dry Clean Only" (i.e. suits, etc) = "Dry Clean"

you never dry clean shirts man...

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Or you can just not get them dirty in the first place... and actually learn how to iron properly :p

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Most dress shirts are laundered. If you didn't know this, well, now you do. I have a few shirts that are actually dry cleaned but they're not your typical button down variety.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Oh yeah, and the price can vary based on what you bring that day which can explain the variable pricing you've seen. More shirts cost less per shirt. Also, if you work at a large company and go to a place near where you work they often give a discount.

<--wore a tie to work for 8 years

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
I pay to have them cleaned and pressed professionally because I care about my appearance. I do find your title "for the drycleaning-ignorant" to be a little funny since you expect your semi-dress (polos) to be dry cleaned.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
So every once in a blue moon I treat myself to dry cleaning. I had 9 shirts today that are all semi-dress (think Dockers). All short-sleeve, some cotton, some rayon, some 50/50. I usually only do this during summer and they only get it every-other- wash.

So, over the last couple years I've seen it go from $1.25/shirt to $1.75/shirt to $2.00/shirt to (sometimes I don't know what they're chargin' me)

TODAY.........I go to this new dry cleaner to see if I can get lower rates.

Well, the gal starts separating my shirts into "dry clean" and "laundered". I'm like........WTF??? I'm at a "DRY CLEANERS" so I assumed ALL my shirts are getting "DRY CLEANED", no??

Total came to $23!!!!!!!! TWENTY-THREE F~$#~% DOLLARS!!!!!!

I paid in advance 'cuz I'm a puzzy and I work at Initech........;)

What's up??? Laundered?? Not ALL dry-cleaned??? Am I simply an ignoramuss?? :D

yeah, youre an ignoramus
<------ spent 5 years as a drycleaner

due to cost of supplies, and shipping, prices have skyrocketed over the last 2-3 years, while business in many areas has gone down

my dad has owned a plant for over 20 years, and has been the busiest place in town for over half of that, and business has been awful the last year to where hes lost long-time customers (they didnt switch, they quit getting clothes cleaned) and had to cut his help :/

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Wait you have short sleeve dress shirts? Or are these polos

Engineer? :p

:D

Think........."Tommy Bahama" or something along those lines. Nice short-sleeve, button-down shirts w/ collar that can be worn tucked or untucked.

We'll getchy'all there eventually if we keep rightin' the ship! :p

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Dear OP,
Since the only shirts needing to be dry cleaned tend to be in the $100+ category and (since few of your work shirts fit into that category) you said you were mostly interested in getting them cleaned and pressed, try a new invention called full service laundries. They've only been around a few centuries and will launder, press and, fold or hang your shirts, socks and, underwear if you like. Also, they tend to charge by the pound. Full service laundries have the benefit of being found in all metropolitan areas across the US.

Note to self: Start an online school teaching basic life skills = profit!

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Wait you have short sleeve dress shirts? Or are these polos

Engineer? :p

:D

Think........."Tommy Bahama" or something along those lines. Nice short-sleeve, button-down shirts w/ collar that can be worn tucked or untucked.

We'll getchy'all there eventually if we keep rightin' the ship! :p

hahahaha, do they come w/ complimentary pocket protectors? ;)