DRUDGE: Hillary May Now Be Using Own Funds To Finance Campaign

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
This is a breaking DRUDGE headline.

CLINTONS MAY NOW BE USING THEIR OWN MONEY TO FINANCE HILLARY'S RUN... When asked if Clintons were dipping into their personal wealth, communications director Howard Wolfson said: 'I don't know'...Developing...

Unbelievable...If this is true, Obama is even bigger than I thought.

She's putting her money into a depreciating asset, which is never a good investment.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
And how come we didn't know about this before Super Tuesday?

Kinda convenient, isn't it? She supposedly lent the money during the last week of January.

They don't call CNN the Clinton News Network for nothing....

and just look how photogenic she is...

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
And how come we didn't know about this before Super Tuesday?

Kinda convenient, isn't it? She supposedly lent the money during the last week of January.

It was super tuesday and subpar fundraising in Jan that caused it. They werent originally planning on having to campaign after Super Tuesday.

Its been confirmed she is using personal funds. Its also been confirmed senior campaign members are no longer getting checks.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: feralkid

Please.

How much crow can any one person eat, Pabster?

Shes not finished but shes definately in a bad postion. She could lose the next 7 states, some by large margins.

Obama has the cash in Feb, and will have the cash for March. At best Clinton can do is have the cash for March, but the Obama train will get a boost of momentum if it can sweep the next 7 states. 4 caucuses and 3 primaries. He'll win all three primaries due to the black vote. He should win all 4 caucuses, because hes won every cacucus but Nevada, but even in Nevada he won 1 more delegate than Clinton.

Obamas voter turn out machine trumps Clintons.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
I'm cheering for Clinton just so that Pabster will have his breakdown here, it will be mighty fun to read.

I don't know, I think a similar approach by the Republicans is what got us 8 years of GWB. Sticking it to the Hillary haters might be amusing for a short while, but at the end of the day, we'd be stuck with Hillary as the actual President...and that would not be quite so amusing.

Republicans hated Bill Clinton with a passion, Democrats hate Bush nearly as much, do we really need MORE than 16 years of that?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
In her own words, "best investment I've ever made".
Sounds like a pretty sound idea to me.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Please.

Shes not finished but shes definately in a bad postion. She could lose the next 7 states, some by large margins.

Obama has the cash in Feb, and will have the cash for March. At best Clinton can do is have the cash for March, but the Obama train will get a boost of momentum if it can sweep the next 7 states. 4 caucuses and 3 primaries. He'll win all three primaries due to the black vote. He should win all 4 caucuses, because hes won every cacucus but Nevada, but even in Nevada he won 1 more delegate than Clinton.

Yup... and don't forget the basic tenet of politics: Money follows the momentum. Everybody wants to be on the winning team. It's going to be even tougher for Hill to raise money after this. Meanwhile, Obama is raking it in hand over fist.

I'd never count her out though. Recent elections have seen candidates come back from the dead to win. Kerry last time around (borrowed money against his house to keep his campaign limping along) and McCain this election. The guy was road kill six months ago. And neither one of them had the machine that Clinton does.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Please.

Yup... and don't forget the basic tenet of politics: Money follows the momentum. Everybody wants to be on the winning team. It's going to be even tougher for Hill to raise money after this. Meanwhile, Obama is raking it in hand over fist.

I'd never count her out though. Recent elections have seen candidates come back from the dead to win. Kerry last time around (borrowed money against his house to keep his campaign limping along) and McCain this election. The guy was road kill six months ago. And neither one of them had the machine that Clinton does.

Those are general elections. This is a primary.

And McCain hasnt loaned his campaign money.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
They have alot more money where that 5 mil came from. It doesn't mean anything. Many candidates use their personal funds to finance their campaigns. Not really a big deal.

BTW, I predict HRC will be the next president. I am not happy about it though :p

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: spittledip
They have alot more money where that 5 mil came from. It doesn't mean anything. Many candidates use their personal funds to finance their campaigns. Not really a big deal.

BTW, I predict HRC will be the next president. I am not happy about it though :p

Many? Some do in a general election. A primary? Hardly ever.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

Clinton's fortune is estimated around 50 to 60 million bucks. Hardly wealthy enough to continue financing at 5 million a pop. Romney can do it, but she can't.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005

Clinton's fortune is estimated around 50 to 60 million bucks. Hardly wealthy enough to continue financing at 5 million a pop. Romney can do it, but she can't.

Hm... will be interesting to see what happens then. I figure she will just get more contributions shortly.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
is it fair to say Hillary is now the underdog in the competition between herself and Obama?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: aidanjm
is it fair to say Hillary is now the underdog in the competition between herself and Obama?

No.. I think as of now it looks as though in the future she will be the underdog. That is, she is going to lose a bunch of primaries before she supposedly makes a comeback in Texas and Ohio. Though I think the Giuliani effect may hit...

Right now I'd say dead heat. She has the tiniest of leads nationally but Obama has the money and schedule advantage to overtake her.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I wonder what Obama will do if he loses the race?

go back to being a senator, and probably run again in '12 or '16 (I doubt he'd run against a sitting democratic president in the '12 primary unless there was significant dislike of the POTUS).

if Clinton loses, she'll probably join Kennedy in the senate lifer club.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Please.

Those are general elections. This is a primary.

And McCain hasnt loaned his campaign money.

Um... what? Dean was killing Kerry in the polls and the Kerry campaign was out of money. Just before Iowa Kerry borrowed against one of his homes and managed to hang in there long enough to win Iowa. Then came the donations. Dean had his melt down and the rest was history.

Six months ago McCain was out of money and way behind in the polls. Now the money is flowing and it looks like he'll take the nom. I never said he dipped into his own money.

All I said was, based on that recent history, you can't count her out. She's in a virtual tie in the delegate race and if she manages to halt the slide and get a little traction she could still pull this out. I don't think she will... But it's possible.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Its going to go right down to the convention.
And you thought the Super Bowl was exciting. :thumbsup:

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481

go back to being a senator, and probably run again in '12 or '16 (I doubt he'd run against a sitting democratic president in the '12 primary unless there was significant dislike of the POTUS).

why is it so unclear re: who is actually in front at the moment? different sources seem to say different things about who has the most delegates.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481

why is it so unclear re: who is actually in front at the moment? different sources seem to say different things about who has the most delegates.

Some states are winner take all so it's easy to award delegates.

Other states (Like California) award delegates for winning in specific districts. In a lot of those districts the vote was very close. They are verifying the counts so they can award the delegates.