Drudge blocked on congressional computers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
:rolleyes:

Any website can have host malware or viruses - if you think otherwise, you are delusional.

Yes, I well know this as I get malware on my home PC from time to time. And it sucks major ass when it happens, so I'm not likely to forget it. There are no 100% guarentees, but zero infections in 6 years of using the blocking software, 25 employees, that's not bad at all. At home, I've managed to infect my machine about 10 times in that amount of time, and I'm just one person. :(

- wolf

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Waah! I'm pissed that all I see on monitors in the public areas (cafeterias and such) at the base I work at is Fox News now instead of CNN. Should I have a hissy fit?

Feb 19, 2001
We use filtering software which is overbroad. If a website had malware in the past, or in some cases was rumored to have it, we're blocked. My employer takes zero chances of getting an infection on our network.

The subtext of all this, btw, is that the employer also doesn't want us doing a lot of web surfing during work hours.

- wolf

i got malware from Anandtech on a Friday night. I was beyond pissed. Instead of calling IT (because it was like 6pm and 90% of the people already left), I solved it on my own. Stayed an extra hour at least if not more running a Malware Bytes + Superantispyware scan.

perhaps AT should be blocked for you because it did have malware at some point? :D

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
i got malware from Anandtech on a Friday night. I was beyond pissed. Instead of calling IT (because it was like 6pm and 90% of the people already left), I solved it on my own. Stayed an extra hour at least if not more running a Malware Bytes + Superantispyware scan.

perhaps AT should be blocked for you because it did have malware at some point? :D

I stopped using the back key on this site ages ago. Some damn malware seems to be intercepting it. I go to the bottom and refresh the link in Forum Jump.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Waah! I'm pissed that all I see on monitors in the public areas (cafeterias and such) at the base I work at is Fox News now instead of CNN. Should I have a hissy fit?

Lawsuit! Force them to change it to Cartoon Network (CN).

Why not just buy your own universal remote, and change the channel yourself? If you need to be super-spy about it, wristwatches can be found with similar functionality.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Big deal. DoD only just recently started allowing sites like youtube and facebook, but still block plenty of questionable sites. I can't even get news stories linked to aolnews, because they block that!

It's not a conspiracy, it's probably just IT being over-cautious. :rolleyes:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
but of course they can watch the propaganda on the bottom of the honey bucket, cnn.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Sorry for the delay, I took the weekend off from the computer.
That's the 'not radical right' list, not the 'left' list. Z Mag yes, Time No. Daily KOS yes, CNN no.
Liberal enough for me.
Thom Hartmann, Randi Rhodes, Mike Malloy
These are allowed. So is Politico, Salon, and the Democratic Underground. She didn't look up any others, said she had to work. Government employees.

It's not a conspiracy, it's probably just IT being over-cautious.
Could be. I'll let you know if it changes.

Haven't you heard? If you're not with 'em, you're against 'em.
Wrong. It's enemy of my enemy.
but of course they can watch the propaganda on the bottom of the honey bucket, cnn.
As an aside, when the video of the Isreali troops boarding the blockade runner came out, Robin Meade of CNN said,"Here's the heavily edited video by the Isreali army." For some reason, the tossing of the soldier off the deck was cut out. Who edited?:\

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Drudge has or at least used to have a bunch of popups and crap. They should have blocked it a long time ago.

Even if he cleaned it up, if he was willing to put his user base at risk to make a quick buck in the past...I'm pretty sure he'd do it again.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Also, the article in the OP is from March 2010
Yes but it wasn't blocked until last Friday.

Either way, forewarned... I would rather be aware of incidents like this than not. Flip the coin, if when GW was the potus and a popular left site had been blocked, what would have been the response?

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007

Either way, forewarned... I would rather be aware of incidents like this than not. Flip the coin, if when GW was the potus and a popular left site had been blocked, what would have been the response?

oh gee conspiracies lol.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000

Oh, so Drudge is a right-leaning site...

:hmm:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
oh gee conspiracies lol.

You're right. Politicians and political parties, left and right, are all on the up and up and would never do anything to further their agenda. They are committed to the service of the people of the United States of America. YEAH.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Oh, so Drudge is a right-leaning site...

:hmm:
Public health news outlet.
Reported just today.
A Taiwanese woman has taken a sizeable bite out of Taiwan's mosquito population, and won a 3,000 US dollar cash prize, by catching around 4 million of the bloodsuckers in just one month.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
So of all the sites they right wing sites they could ban? Why Drudge..

It is because of the spam thing. I'm sure of it. That is why we blocked it.
Could be and I am not denying. I emailed them, let's see if they respond.