Drove the new Jaguar I-PACE

tweakmonkey

Mar 11, 2013
tweak3d.net
First all electric from Jaguar. It's kind of a big crossover "car" thing / short SUV.

Sorry not a lot of photos here but I tried.

IMG_0872.jpg

(sitting in off-road mode, there's a switch to change the ride height)

I drove it around town for about 10 minutes. First thoughts - it's very nice inside like you'd expect from a $70k+ Jag. The Head-Up display works great and is very simple. It just showed the speed and speed limit.

The instant torque is incredible. The car makes sounds through the speakers that make it sound like a traditional V8 Jaguar... which you can turn off, but it's actually kind of cool. I have driven a lot of XJR/XKR/S Type R etc. and they sounded just like this.

Then I got to try it on an autocross course. HOLY MOLY. this thing is SO nimble for a big car. The power is amazing 0-60 or 10-50 and so-on, which makes it a total monster in a tight twisty situation. I think a big part of it is the way the electric motors front and rear are controlled by software. It feels more nimble than a Macan to me.

IMG_0871.jpg

Weird carbon wheels..
IMG_0873.jpg

I don't have any plans to buy one, and haven't tried a Tesla Model 3 yet to compare, but this thing sets a pretty high bar for everyone else (especially gas cars!). In some colors it looked really cool, too.
New-Jaguar-i-Pace-Electric-SUV-silver.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Awesome looking electric car...:D But gotta ask uhm how much for the one you just drove...?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
And this is what a Tesla should be for the price they charge. The tech is there plus the styling and luxury and build quality.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
iPace is actually not that big. It's about the same size as the Tesla Model 3. So it's not a big car. Model 3 actually has more room inside than iPace. Here's picture of iPace and Model 3 parked side by side.
lLEZUdT.jpg

Reactions: Kaido and bigi

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Oo is it possible I saw one of these on the road already? Saw some bizarre Jag last weekend (north nj), wasn't the F-Pace or a normal car.

Looks nice on the road for sure.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Model 3 looks better than this. Even the eggish looking model X looks better. Imho

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Yeah the front 3/4 view is nice for an SUVish thing. The butt looks horrid. If it hustles an autocross that's a feat. I'm sure the negative sidewall PZero's don't hurt.

Nice to see some top level competition for Tesla. Porsche is coming soon too.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Waymo placed orders for 20,000 iPace so most of the first 2 years production will be going to them. I say bring on the competition. Competition will benefit consumers and Tesla.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
iPace is actually not that big. It's about the same size as the Tesla Model 3. So it's not a big car. Model 3 actually has more room inside than iPace. Here's picture of iPace and Model 3 parked side by side.
lLEZUdT.jpg

so, it's a hatchback.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
so, it's a hatchback.

its more classed as a Xross Over...

Its not a real competitor of a Model 3.
Its more of a competitor against the Model X 75D

To be honest tho, its made by Jaguar, and well, lets say they are not well known to make the most reliable of cars.
TaTa motors is definitely not on my top 10 list, and i would never buy a Jaguar or Range Rover...
Lease... definitely... but NEVER a buy.
The one thing Jag does have over Tesla tho is the interior....
I really hate the spartan minimalist approach to tesla's interior.

You can see the complaints on jaguar here:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jaguar.html

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Cool, I wonder what kind of batteries it has? Most manufacturers are using prismatic/pouch cells except for Tesla who are still all-in on cylindrical formats. When someone wraps one of these around a tree maybe we'll get some A+ quality cells available in the secondhand stream.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
And this is what a Tesla should be for the price they charge. The tech is there plus the styling and luxury and build quality.

Agreed. The Model X is surprisingly spartan for the price. Lots of little things missing that should be in there for the price. I mean, overall, amazing as car, and they are making progress (the new white seats are pretty nice & surprisingly durable & easy to clean, and I think are some version of non-leather leather that is somehow more comfortable than leather, instead of being 'pleather').

I do like Tesla's stealth styling though, they don't really stand out unless you look for them.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Cool, I wonder what kind of batteries it has? Most manufacturers are using prismatic/pouch cells except for Tesla who are still all-in on cylindrical formats. When someone wraps one of these around a tree maybe we'll get some A+ quality cells available in the secondhand stream.
When I read that, I thought you were saying we'd get some quality AA cells available on the secondhand stream (instead of A+, I saw AA). My brain was picturing a bunch of rechargeable NiMH batteries spilling out into the street.