Drove another Mustang today

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
1968 GT 390 Notchback with the C-6 3-speed automatic.

Somebody please explain to me why they don't make cars like that anymore. Good heavens the thing was so much fun to drive. Power absolutely everywhere in the rev band and that wonderful lumpy big block V8 sound. If Ford could re-release one of these monsters and I could walk into a showroom and buy it brand new, I'd be first in line with a big ol' wad of cash.

ZV

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

Somebody please explain to me why they don't make cars like that anymore. Good heavens the thing was so much fun to drive. Power absolutely everywhere in the rev band and that wonderful lumpy big block V8 sound. If Ford could re-release one of these monsters and I could walk into a showroom and buy it brand new, I'd be first in line with a big ol' wad of cash.

ZV

cuz ppl are to concerned about gas mileage to realize that even with SUV's they are still getting better mpg than ppl ever dreamed of back then.

MIKE

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1

ZV

cuz ppl are to concerned about gas mileage to realize that even with SUV's they are still getting better mpg than ppl ever dreamed of back then.

MIKE

safety/emissions mainly i guess...

MIKE!

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: dug777

ZV

MIKE

MIKE!

DUG

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001

ZV

MIKE

MIKE!

DUG

SYNTH

icejunkie

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: dethman

ZV

MIKE

MIKE!

DUG

SYNTH

DETH

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: icejunkie

ZV

MIKE

MIKE!

DUG

SYNTH

DETH

ICE

daclayman

Golden Member
Sep 27, 2000
I heard about sumthin called a C6; seems to have a 400hp V8 and a suspension that matches cars twice its price. It has it's negatives though; it's not a ford :disgust:

edit: I can't spell

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

ZV

MIKE

for some reason i don't think that a 4wd escalade gets better mileage than a 3000 lb mustang

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If the knuckleheads had bothered to put that drivetrain in their Marauder, it might have been my very first new car purchase. As it is, all they got was a big yawn.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Shawn
Originally posted by: icejunkie

ZV

MIKE

MIKE!

DUG

SYNTH

DETH

ICE

PUSSY

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Power all over the rev band, ha, I bet if it was stock-ish it had nothing up high.

And with that 3 speed auto.... uggghhh :(

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: daclayman
I heard about sumthin called a C6; seems to have a 400hp V8 and a suspension that matches cars twice its price. It has it's negatives though; it's not a ford :disgust:

"C-6" is the factory designation for the 3-speed automatic that Ford used in heavy-duty applications (i.e. behind the big block engines) during the 1960's and 1970's. Not terribly sophisticated, but it pretty much never breaks.

As for the guy who commented about nothing up high, when the redline is 5500 RPM, you don't need anything "up high". :p And with 430 ft-lb of torque, trust me, you never notice that it's a 3-speed.

As for fuel mileage, yeah, 16mpg highway isn't very good, but the car's worth it.

ZV

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

"C-6" is the factory designation for the 3-speed automatic that Ford used in heavy-duty applications (i.e. behind the big block engines) during the 1960's and 1970's. Not terribly sophisticated, but it pretty much never breaks.

As for the guy who commented about nothing up high, when the redline is 5500 RPM, you don't need anything "up high". :p And with 430 ft-lb of torque, trust me, you never notice that it's a 3-speed.

As for fuel mileage, yeah, 16mpg highway isn't very good, but the car's worth it.

ZV

he was referring to the C6, the vette.

and for that person referring to an SUV vs. todays stang, your right, but vs. those of the 60's? those things ate gas for all 3 meals.

MIKE

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

ZV
he was referring to the C6, the vette.
I am aware of that. Just educating him on the older and more proper use of the term.

ZV