Question Dropped CPU on floor, chance that it is damaged?

LetoAtreidesII

Apr 6, 2017
I accidentally dropped my brand new Intel CPU about 4 feet onto my hard wood floor. It was in partial packaging - basically I opened the box, turned it upside down and shook it until the contents fell out, but instead of falling onto the table, it bounced off and onto the floor. Since it's a real PITA to install, test, and remove a CPU so if there's a good chance it's damaged, I would rather just replace it now than install it in my motherboard and remove it later.

It was in a very thin plastic clamshell which was itself in a small bit of cardboard (I think) when it impacted on the floor, so it had some padding, but not much. How likely is it that the CPU was damaged?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
What is the model number ? If its got no pins, then I am sure its fine.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
It's probably fine if it was still in the plastic shell. I think all of Intel's recent CPUs are for LGA sockets, so the pins are on the motherboard.

Reactions: Campy

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I accidentally dropped my brand new Intel CPU about 4 feet onto my hard wood floor. It was in partial packaging - basically I opened the box, turned it upside down and shook it until the contents fell out, but instead of falling onto the table, it bounced off and onto the floor. Since it's a real PITA to install, test, and remove a CPU so if there's a good chance it's damaged, I would rather just replace it now than install it in my motherboard and remove it later.

It was in a very thin plastic clamshell which was itself in a small bit of cardboard (I think) when it impacted on the floor, so it had some padding, but not much. How likely is it that the CPU was damaged?

The only pieces of computer hardware or related parts, currently today, one has to worry about if it were to fall are the following. :
  • Hard Disk Drive.
  • Laptop Screen ( Especially if its touch screen).
  • Any device or object that is made by Apple (High repair cost (from what I heard, I never personallly owned anything made by Apple), compared to buying a new one again).
  • Motherboard clock battery( If it leaks, the battery acid might damage some small portion of the motherboard).
  • An entire motherboard. (There couldbe a small crack, that might have disconnected one or more of the countless circuity tracks, of the motherboard).
CPU is not one of them, just like the others have stated, so you are safe.

LetoAtreidesII

Apr 6, 2017
Thanks all. I'm pretty convinced that my CPU is OK. I somehow thought it was more fragile than it is, probably, because it's sophisticated technology engineered at the microscopic level. Also, about 23 years ago, I dropped a hard drive onto my driveway and that clearly damaged it (no external damage evident but huge numbers of bad sectors immediately upon use). But different piece of hardware and technological progress I guess. Like Amol said, hard drive is on the list of things I'd have to worry about dropping but not CPU.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Probably fine. I dropped a new Ryzen 1700 when it first came out, rather, I somehow launched it across the room to my horror. Bent a bunch of pins in the process also, which I spent a lot of time in sunlight trying to bend back the right way ... which I eventually did. It worked fine.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It seems that several people in this thread appear to handle their CPUs rather haphazardly.

Y'all don't happen to work for UPS or Fedex in package handling by chance, do you? :p

I also hope you are giving the OP the correct info, because if not........ :cool:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had "Socket pull-out" with a Ryzen CPU and a stock heatsink. (MX-4 paste, maybe 6 months old, not even the stock paste which does kind of turn to "glue"). When I was prying the CPU heatspreader off of the heatsink. (Not a wise idea, I should have dissolved the heatsink paste with some isopropyl.) The CPU went flying, onto the carpet. Amazingly, NO BENT PINS. Worked fine afterwards. Maybe it was just the "five second rule". :)

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Probably fine. I dropped a new Ryzen 1700 when it first came out, rather, I somehow launched it across the room to my horror. Bent a bunch of pins in the process also, which I spent a lot of time in sunlight trying to bend back the right way ... which I eventually did. It worked fine.

LOL.. thanks having a crappy day after City are out of CL but I needed that laugh!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I had "Socket pull-out" with a Ryzen CPU and a stock heatsink. (MX-4 paste, maybe 6 months old, not even the stock paste which does kind of turn to "glue"). When I was prying the CPU heatspreader off of the heatsink. (Not a wise idea, I should have dissolved the heatsink paste with some isopropyl.) The CPU went flying, onto the carpet. Amazingly, NO BENT PINS. Worked fine afterwards. Maybe it was just the "five second rule". :)

Heatsinks are much easier to remove if you warm paste up for a little bit before doing it. Warm paste + a small twisting motion while pulling upward is where it's at.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Thanks all. I'm pretty convinced that my CPU is OK. I somehow thought it was more fragile than it is, probably, because it's sophisticated technology engineered at the microscopic level. Also, about 23 years ago, I dropped a hard drive onto my driveway and that clearly damaged it (no external damage evident but huge numbers of bad sectors immediately upon use). But different piece of hardware and technological progress I guess. Like Amol said, hard drive is on the list of things I'd have to worry about dropping but not CPU.

Not everyone was as lucky as I, but back in the day when CPU's didn't have a heat spreader took a chunk out of a corner of a Duron and it worked fine (well I don't think it ever ran correctly in ME, but 98SE and Win2k it was a champ so I am putting that down as a ME issue). Now I know I was lucky and probably just took out a chunk of the epoxy coating and not the actual CPU. But that's the point. Outside running a ton of voltage and frying the CPU internally, or bending pins to the point you can straighten them (or break it off), it is sooo hard to break a CPU by accident outside the computer.