Dropped 7k on furniture.... ouch

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Hehehehehe, you're paying retail for furniture? No wonder.

I've got nothing against nice furniture or your taste in it. But buying it from Crate & Barrel is akin to buying jewelry from a mall jewelry store.

:thumbsup:

Or in my case I just buy the wood and build it. 200Bf of Wenge should be coming soon for the bed and other bedroom items. :)

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003
If I recall my family spent about that when we moved. We got all new furniture (4 beds, new desks, chairs etc) to replace everything we had before moving since the old stuff was junk.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Triforceofcourage
Rooms To Go FTW!!

Rooms To Go is worse than Ikea. The construction is absolutely horrible. Entire couches weight less than some dinner chairs. It's great if you want to fill up a rarely used room with furniture and you want to do so on the cheap, but it's by no means quality furniture that should be in a proper family room, imo.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Raiden256
I spent $4K on my kitchen table.... That thing better last 50 years!
My kitchen table was free. Its >100 years old and was bought new by my great grandparents. It's a great table.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: virtueixi
If I recall my family spent about that when we moved. We got all new furniture (4 beds, new desks, chairs etc) to replace everything we had before moving since the old stuff was junk.

haha, you replaced a house worth of furnitre for that price. this guy got like a room and a half worth.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Kyteland
My kitchen table was free. Its >100 years old and was bought new by my great grandparents. It's a great table.

my parents have one my great grandfather made like 80 years ago. sure its a little beat up but its solid.

when my Father dies i get it (along with a few other nice items he made)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Crate and Barrel Furniture is way over-priced. The only time I'll buy their stuff is at their outlet store when they have quarterly furniture sales. Even then, I still think it's over-priced. $4.3k for a couch is outrageous.

In the Boston Area, there are a lot of less expensive choices for quality furniture (City Schemes, Boston Interiors, Jordan's Furniture and IKEA). After moving cross-country and back, I sold off the majority of my furniture. One because I didn't want to have to pay to move it but also, after several years of owning it, I wanted new and different stuff.

After dropping that much money on furniture, I hope you're still liking it 5 years later and don't want to replace it.

AlucardX

May 20, 2000
take it all back and go with IKEA or Value City Furniture (sounds more ghetto than it actually is). I got a pretty nice leather couch from the VCF for $600 with 7 year leather warranty.

sounds like a broken record in here. :beer:

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Kyteland
my parents have one my great grandfather made like 80 years ago. sure its a little beat up but its solid.

when my Father dies i get it (along with a few other nice items he made)
I've got a ton of stuff my grandfather and his friends made. It's great furniture. When mom's parents died she took their table, so I got dad's parents table which they had been using. It's a huge oak table that expands to seat 12, except that my apartment isn't big enough. :p

Rapidskies

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Originally posted by: everman
Originally posted by: Rapidskies
(got a huge discount too from Nebraska Furninture Mart stock holder sale). Furniture makes a home more homey but I wouldn't go into debt over it.

How many shares do you need to own? would one share of brk.b work? :)

Yes one share will do it and you don't have to be the one that owns it. My folks were the shareholders and only had 1 or 2 shares. They were allowed to give a guest pass to a family member which they gave to us so we could do our shopping. Take care.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
You are insane. $7k for furniture is ridiculous. I hope that you are still happy with it in 20 years.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: everman
(got a huge discount too from Nebraska Furninture Mart stock holder sale). Furniture makes a home more homey but I wouldn't go into debt over it.

How many shares do you need to own? would one share of brk.b work? :)

Yes one share will do it and you don't have to be the one that owns it. My folks were the shareholders and only had 1 or 2 shares. They were allowed to give a guest pass to a family member which they gave to us so we could do our shopping. Take care.

Sweet. I'm gonna have to look into that.

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
After dropping that much money on furniture, I hope you're still liking it 5 years later and don't want to replace it.

Yep, thats my plan... i checked so many other stores and i didn't like any other couch in terms of comfort... if i'm happy with it, i don't mind paying the premium...

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: virtueixi

haha, you replaced a house worth of furnitre for that price. this guy got like a room and a half worth.

lol, you said it.

rsd

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2003
2 years ago I bought a brand new but floor model, Italian leather sectional sofa. Very high quality (Decoro or Natuzzi I can't remember), but a higher end line of them. New it was $2800 and the floor model it was $2000. It's slightly smaller than the one you have but sorry to say that $4300 is WAY overpriced.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Where's a good place to check for sofas and other seating then? I don't really like anything IKEA sells. We have ValuCity here (it's where my current super-old couch is from), Banner (a local chain I think), Ashley Furniture, and then "Furniture Row" (Denver Mattress/SofaMart/etc). There's a La-z-boy too.

I am in dire need of a new couch. Mine needs new cushions badly and I think it's about 15 years old. I want something durable and comfortable, plus it needs to be fairly deep as I've got broad shoulders and like to sleep on it.

Hardwood furniture is easy - I just make it myself :D. Covered stuff is a lot harder.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
We got some decent leather furniture (couch, loveseat, chair, ottoman), kitchen table with 4 chairs and a bench, and a couch for $2300.

They're not top of the line or anything, but very comfortable, look great, and are a HUGE upgrade over the handed down crap we used to have.

Art Vandelay

Jul 30, 2006
Dude, don't worry about naysayers. Yeah, the couch is a little expensive but the rest seem ok pricewise. I actually saw that couch at C&B a few weeks back and its not a bad one, but I wouldn't pay that much for it. Maybe around $3K the most.

I also value my home and everything in it. I spend a lot of time relaxing in here, we might as well have the best we can afford. We spent around $18K on all of our furniture last year, but now I am moving to Paris for work and won't be able to enjoy them as much (will be flying back home once or twice a month) :(

chr6

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2002
nice, i usually spend whats in my means. i live in an apartment but i managed to get my black leather couch on craigslist from people who were moving. same thing for alot of my furniture.

all in all, under $1000 for me. but if you can buy the real nice crate and barrel stuff, go for it. thats really great looking, but id also go for comfort too.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Looks like that table and chairs would fall apart pretty easy. Let us know if they start falling apart within 6 months.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
How can you seriously complain when you're buying such expensive furniture? lol