Drop out of high school

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Dutchmaster420
i barely finished hs...my school was a joke it sucked though b/c i coulnt play sports cause i didnt do anything

i making about 2000-3000 a week cleaning carpets right now so im cool

going back to college in fall though reluctanly but thats why i started the job to save for it

So you're going back to college when you currently make $100,000-$150,000 a year?

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
It's a brilliant idea. Don't listen to anyone here.

Most nursing schools do not even look at your high school degree - only your freshman college GPA (unless it is a 2 yr program).

If you are going to community college there is absolutely no reason to finish high school unless you enjoy it.

ajscottsr

May 9, 2006
What if something happens and she doesn't finish her nursing degree. Then she is left with a GED as the last completed education.

I did this. I dropped out of high school at 16 with a near 4.0 GPA. I immediately started college and went for 2 years (4 year program). I fell in love and since I knew everything and my career was advancing at the fast food joint (promoted to shift manager), I quit school.

Boy did I regret that. I spent 10 years trying to find the opportunity to go back. 2 years ago that happened. So here I am, 30 and studying pre-law. 3.92 GPA after 2 years in college. Not bad but not a road I would recommend. Tell her to slow down and take her time. A lot can change between now and then and she never knows where she'll be when one of those changes happens.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Scourge
A friend of mine has a little sister (16 years old, going into her junior year of HS) that is thinking about dropping out, getting her GED and going to community college this fall. She has a 4.0gpa through school so far, and is pretty intelligent. She is considering getting a two year nursing degree and getting a job when she is 19 or so.... I've heard about people doing this before, but is is realistic? Will your employer care if you have a GED so long as you have the college as well? Other disadvantages?

Uh..I just don't understand the reasoning in leaving HS early, just to get a GED then go to community college.

She should just graduate HS, then get her associates degree. She could still get a job at 20 or so.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
i barely finished hs...my school was a joke it sucked though b/c i coulnt play sports cause i didnt do anything

going back to college in fall though reluctanly but thats why i started the job to save for it

How does one make that much money cleaning carpet? That doesn't sound typical at all.

ones3k

Banned
Aug 21, 2005
A friend of mine has a little sister (16 years old, going into her junior year of HS) that is thinking about dropping out, getting her GED and going to community college this fall. She has a 4.0gpa through school so far, and is pretty intelligent. She is considering getting a two year nursing degree and getting a job when she is 19 or so.... I've heard about people doing this before, but is is realistic? Will your employer care if you have a GED so long as you have the college as well? Other disadvantages?

This actually could work decently, but only if she could get in a solid 4 semesters at a community college (3 at the min) before her highschool class graduates. She'd need to pass the GED asap, then enroll at the local community college and get STRAIGHT A's. After two years, and with excellent grades, she'd most likely get into a very solid 4year university for nursing, and hopefully would graduate with a B.S. by age 20. Nurses are in high demand, so it isnt necessary to get into Harvard if you want to be a nurse.

Still, there could be pitfalls. What if she doesnt like nursing? Trouble transferring credit to a 4-year school? What if her grades slip because shes too immature and doesn't have good work ethic yet?

I say stay in school

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Special K

How does one make that much money cleaning carpet? That doesn't sound typical at all.

Rich people often have delicate carpets that need to be cleaned by an expert.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Dissipate

Rich people often have delicate carpets that need to be cleaned by an expert.

Even still, I can't believe that it can be that difficult to train someone to clean carpet. Doctors go to school for years to learn how to diagnose and treat illness, yet cleaning carpet commands nearly as high a salary? That just doesn't maks sense to me.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000

They say most people that drop out are really smart and just get bored ...

FTW!

franksta

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
Nursing school is not for the weak. Also a 2-year degree from a community college is a career limiter.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: us3rnotfound
Don't be a fool, stay in school

Fixed. But really with her GPA and such is there not an option at that school to graduate early?

I owuld rather hold a high school diploma than a GED, but depending on the job, I don't know if it would really matter in the long run.

Does the girl hate her family or something? She needs to get an account and come on here to talk to all the old farts who would have loved to have an extra year of college life. Myself included ;)

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
if she has such a great GPA, she can take college and highschool classes at the same time

infact a friend of mine started full time college in 11th grade, classes were free, books were free, and the classes counted towards highschool and college credits (he was smart as hell) until he threw it all away with pot and meth

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Why not go post secondary? (PSEC)

It still provides the high school diploma, but the coursework is most/all college credit towards a degree.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Sorry, I didn't read the thread, so some of this may be repeated. Potential pitfalls that I see (whether they apply will depend on circumstances which you haven't given us information about):

[*]What if she drops out of nursing school too? Will nursing school be so different that she'll not want to drop out of that? If she drops out of both, all she'll have is a GED and college debts. In most cases, she'll never make much and the college debts are therefore that much more of a burden.

[*]Say goodbye to most scholarships. Depending on the schools this could be be a massive financial hit.

[*]Transferring from community college to another school usually means a lot of wasted courses. That means more costs and more time to graduate. Of course, this isn't always true - just 90+% of the time it is true.

[*]Think of her life as a whole. She is already going to be working 50 years before retirement. Why oh why would she want to make that long tedious carreer into 51-52 years?

[*]Loss of the intangible benefits that high school has. Socially and financially this is her time to be free. She won't get it back until she is 70. What is more fun, free time at 17 or at 70? Even if her answer is 70, what if she never lives to be 70 to enjoy it?

[*]High school courses are often free. College courses cost money. Why pay for the course in college when you can take it free in high school? Just have her take courses that count for both. Result = same early nursing school graduation with much lower overall costs.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Even still, I can't believe that it can be that difficult to train someone to clean carpet. Doctors go to school for years to learn how to diagnose and treat illness, yet cleaning carpet commands nearly as high a salary? That just doesn't maks sense to me.
Garbage men and sanitation workers make pretty good money with essentially zero training, the money is good because it's a job that most people don't want to do.

purepolly

Sep 27, 2002
Originally posted by: franksta
Nursing school is not for the weak. Also a 2-year degree from a community college is a career limiter.

True, nursing school is tougher than most people think and getting into a program is just as tough. 2 year CC programs typically take a bit longer than the stated 2 years. Around here is is not uncommon for top students to complete all the prereq requirements and then get wait listed for entry into the nursing portion of the program.

Also I don't believe any nursing degree is a career limiter due to the shortage. Once you have your license most hospitals are more than willing to foot the bill for further education. So it could be a wise move to let them foot the bill.

Axoliien

Mar 6, 2002
Originally posted by: 6000SUX
Originally posted by: 6000SUX
Originally posted by: waggy
hmm didnt think nursing programs allowed a GED.

They do. It is not a stupid plan; she's granting herself extra years of professional life. (On an unrelated note, I was able to achieve six-figure earnings with a G.E.D. and no college degree in a white-collar job, not sales.)

What job was that?

Software development. I got in during the Internet bubble and survived many RIFs before winding up at Raytheon, a really stable company. I realize this is an oddity (especially as computer work is sort of the "un-profession" as it lacks stringent certification requirements), but I still meet people in every walk of life who are doing well without even a high-school diploma.

There's no question that schooling helps, but a G.E.D. is just as good as a high-school diploma.

Hmmm, big difference between learning software development on your own and going to college to learn how to care for the lives of living beings. I can give you some insight that yes you can in fact get a nursing degree with only a GED, however in the end it may hinder more than help.

My girlfriend just graduated with her nursing degree, and she and all of her friends have in fact found jobs. Except one. The one left did not graduate high school and it is always asked why she dropped out instead of staying in school. It's a catch 22 because if she says she wanted to skip the lowly high school then she is looked at as a slacker who will do only what she wants and cut out the lowly jobs. There's really no good answer, because if you say personal reasons or family problems then you aren't dependable either. Given the chance to take someone younger and less mature with a college degree and no diploma, or someone who stuck through it all, I can understand why they have passed her by so many times.

Just stick with it, there's no reason to drop out early for a medical profession.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Stay in school, take AP classes if possible, and get a real degree at a public university. Stay in the top of the class, perhaps intern/coop to get experience, and get a good job.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: everman
Proof positive that 4.0 does not always = smart.

If I had to choose between hiring a nurse with a 4yr degree + nursing school (whatever that entails), and a HS dropout...well you know the rest.

Ummm nurses are in terrible short supply right now. She would get a job, but she would probably have a tougher time moving up in the field.

Stay in school.

**EDIT**

Plus nursing school isn't the easiest thing to get into anyways. Unless she is going to choose relationships/family over career, this isn't the wisest move, although it will give her earning potential earlier on and she won't have to pay for student loans, so for the first few years she will be better off, but after that who knows.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: CitizenDoug
It's a brilliant idea. Don't listen to anyone here.

Most nursing schools do not even look at your high school degree - only your freshman college GPA (unless it is a 2 yr program).

If you are going to community college there is absolutely no reason to finish high school unless you enjoy it.

I agree. If she's in a public high school all they're doing is modeling mediocrity. If she's ready for the next step she should by all means go for it. Its also possible that she wouldn't even need a GED to get into a 2 year program, and her work at the college level be recognized by the HS and they give her a degree. In wisconsin she can even make the school district pay for her tuition and books.

reverend boltron

Nov 18, 2004

Ask her why she's so ready to start life and stop being a kid. Seriously, she's 16, Tell her to enjoy her youth, and to not get preggo. If she can maintain the latter, I think she'll be okay.