Drones should be banned from private use, says Google's Eric Schmidt

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t...ric_schmidt_cites_privacy_security_risks.html

Yes, driverless planes should be banned immediately, says the guy whose company is pouring millions into driverless cars.

Damn the dude, must of been reading what I wrote.... But not only does he want ban flying drones he wants to ban Automated Cars!!!

Yes, that's right. We are too much of a RISK to ourselves to be in control of a robot that can drive you around! What's next Automated Lawn Mowers?

Sheesh this guy is off his rocker!!! Talk about a paranoid fuck that wants a control us all. Shit, might start re-thinking google as a search engine and email! What else is this fool going to ban? Maybe my Romba is going to strap itself with a some C4 and let it loose in the white house.

Sheesh...

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Google/Schmidt is just doing what the government tells them to do, whether it is giving unwarranted access to your data or stating "opinions" on drone use.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
He also took guns off of Google Shopping after Newtown, so now us gun owners have to price-match through Bing. :p Guy has some wacked out politics.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So wait Google is worried about our privacy now :D

Who wants to bet that a law banning private drones would have an exception for Google?

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
Probably don't want people to easily compile maps and street views after pouring all that money into Google Maps and Street View lol

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I have no idea why people are worked up by a single citizen's opinion. :D He isn't in no position to implement such policies.

You don't like it? Ask the SCOTUS to overturn Citizens United.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I have no idea why people are worked up by a single citizen's opinion. :D He isn't in no position to implement such policies.

You don't like it? Ask the SCOTUS to overturn Citizens United.

He has money and is CEO of one of the most powerful corporations on the planet. He may not be a lawmaker, but don't think for a second he couldn't influence policy if he wanted.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
So, if I buy a remote controlled plane, he says it would be wrong for me to strap a miniature camera on it?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
He has money and is CEO of one of the most powerful corporations on the planet. He may not be a lawmaker, but don't think for a second he couldn't influence policy if he wanted.

I agree and the SCOTUS should overturn Citizens United.

(Edit: To be frank, my disposition on Citizens United changes bi-weekly)

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Lol at quotes.

“You're having a dispute with your neighbor," he hypothesized. "How would you feel if your neighbor went over and bought a commercial observation drone that they can launch from their back yard. It just flies over your house all day. How would you feel about it?”

Could I shoot it for trespassing in my airspace?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Yeah, signal jammer would probably be more effective and less dangerous. Not nearly as satisfying though. :p

no.

but I think theres a reason why AA shells tend to explode at certain altitudes.

something about it being f-ing hard to hit a flying object

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
no.

but I think theres a reason why AA shells tend to explode at certain altitudes.

something about it being f-ing hard to hit a flying object

Which is why you set up a short-range radar on the roof and start modifying model rockets...

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Do any of you realize how much you're coming off as nut jobs?

\I'm sure you don't see it....

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Do any of you realize how much you're coming off as nut jobs?

I'm not sure you get nerd humor.

The other day, a few fellow engineering majors and myself, while bored in a lab, created the following conundrum:

Your boyfriend/girlfriend has switched bodies with their father/mother. The only way to reverse it is for you to have sex with one of them. Do you sleep with your SO in their parent's body, or their parent in your SO's body?

We discussed the implications at length. Joking about modifying model rockets into radar-guided missiles to shoot down the drones of an annoying neighbor is mild. (although you have to admit, it would be pretty badass).

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Your boyfriend/girlfriend has switched bodies with their father/mother. The only way to reverse it is for you to have sex with one of them. Do you sleep with your SO in their parent's body, or their parent in your SO's body?

What if the boyfriend/girlfriend was trans-gender?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
They're both.

So they switch bodies with both parents at the same time? So you have to have sex with your SO in both of their parents bodies to switch back, or have sex with both of your SO's parents in your SO's body, and your SO's body has a weird dual-personality thing going on.

That would get... interesting.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It would only be ok for google to fly overhead.

Instead of shooting it. how about an emp?

Even better and more fun idea. Take up the hobby of model rocketry, especially the really cheap $5 pre-made ones that still take C engines. If the miss they come down on parachutes and don't mess anything up and they are rather cheap and disposable yet when you hit WIN!!!!! Heck, you were just teaching your kids about rocketry and other laws of physics like inertia and transfer of energy.