Driving with a CV joint that needs repairing? (Necro)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Originally posted by: hippy
Originally posted by: jonnyGURU
Originally posted by: m2kewl
if you're going fast, and it happens you might be in a world of hurt ;)

Actually, if a CV completely breaks, the car just stops moving forward. The differential in the transmission makes sure the other wheel doesn't keep spinning.

If a garage charged you more for a completely busted CV axle as opposed to one that was just "worn out" the only reason I can think of is that the axle was so trashed they couldn't use it as a core (about $75 to $100 typically.)

Actually Jonny, I have seen a few axles tear engine compartments to shreads when they break off from the outer joint shell at highway speeds.

Also, Replacing a joint alone is usually more expensive than replacing the the whole axle with a reman

Yeah. Certainlyu anything physically exploding into pieces isn't good for surrounding components.

I was going off of my own personal experiences, where the cages that hold the bearings are shattered away into nothing, not a ball bearing to be found, and the diff just spins and spins and spins. ;)

But I do agree... If things got so bad that the axle actually broke, or became seperated from the flange, that could be bad.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
well the cartalk guys would probably tell u to get it fixed asap.. cv stuff comes up pretty often

Kyana98

Jul 30, 2016
Honestly. Both of my cv joints are making a really bad sound every time I turn my steering wheel and have my foot on the accelerator.
Has been like that for over 7 months and I drive it often.
I replaced 1 cv joint and nothing bad has happened "yet".
Still need to replace the other one.
I say it's fine driving it for a while but it will come to a stage it'll become worse and when it does it'll be best if you get it fixed straight away.
You don't want to be on a express way and have your tyre fly straight off into another car and for your car to do summa sults

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
If it's only when the wheels are turned all the way to one side, it could also be the lower ball joint (i've recently had to replace the ball joint and CV's on my car, but in a random order)

A lower or upper ball joint can also be quite catastrophic when it decides to come apart at speed.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Sure it's safe... If it goes(breaks) you just will not be able to go anywhere... at least not in that car.;)

Sure it's safe :whiste::whiste: FAIL

vendor.2011.gorilla-axle.can-am-commander.stock-axle-vs-gorilla-axle.close-up.exposed.cv-joint.jpg

IMG_20151213_131308_267_zpsc4tmrntu.jpg

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Honestly. Both of my cv joints are making a really bad sound every time I turn my steering wheel and have my foot on the accelerator.
Has been like that for over 7 months and I drive it often.
I replaced 1 cv joint and nothing bad has happened "yet".
Still need to replace the other one.
I say it's fine driving it for a while but it will come to a stage it'll become worse and when it does it'll be best if you get it fixed straight away.
You don't want to be on a express way and have your tyre fly straight off into another car and for your car to do summa sults
I might be going out on a limb here, but I think it's pretty safe to say that at some time in the past 11 years, the OP fixed the problem.