DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

neonerd

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2003
I'm not too familiar with IRQ, but does anybody know what could be causing this error?

When the xp cd starts loading, right when it's loading xp setup i get a BSOD that says DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

thanks

Gentle

Feb 28, 2004
One thing I saw that caused this error was trying to use a device driver made for a different version of an operating system.

Don't know if this is your issue though.

Gentle

neonerd

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Gentle
One thing I saw that caused this error was trying to use a device driver made for a different version of an operating system.

Don't know if this is your issue though.

Gentle

not sure, i would hope microsoft only packages drivers made for the operating system on the install cd :p

don't think this is the issue, because i'm using the install cd and haven't even started installing yet

neonerd

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2003
Could it possibly be the RAM that's causing the issue? I just remembered that the RAM is Geil, but it was pulled from a dell system.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Full system specs in detail would help. Insufficient memory voltage and/or low-quality/inadequate power supplies are two frequent causes of this type of stuff.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
could be poorly written drivers for software you've installed . Is the behaviour new?

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: daniel49
could be poorly written drivers for software you've installed . Is the behaviour new?

At least thats microsofts contention. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293077
Others say:
6045 » Windows XP Home Edition issues DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error?

When your computer restarts after installing Windows XP Home Edition, you receive:

System has recovered from a serious error
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

This problem can be caused by:

1. A damaged Virtual Memory Manager Page file.

2. A faulty RAM (memory) module.

3. A RAM module that is NOT compatible with the computers chip set.

To resolve this issue, check your computer documentation or contact the computer manufacturer:

If the RAM is OK or changing it does NOT fix the problem:

01. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

02. Select the Advanced tab.

03. Press the Settings button under Performance.

04. Select the Advanced tab.

05. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

06. Select No paging file and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

07. Press OK, OK, and OK.

08. Shutdown and restart your computer.

09. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

10. Select the Advanced tab.

11. Press the Settings button under Performance.

12. Select the Advanced tab.

13. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

14. Select System Managed size and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

15. Press OK, OK, and OK.

16. Shutdown and restart your computer.

lastly heres some ideas from another fine fellow:
Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal And Irql_not_less_or_equal Fix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL AND IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

This solution helped me, but I do not guarantee that it will help you.
Also, there might be no way to undo this without reinstalling windows again. SO beware :).
First thing to do is to clock down your CPU to the factory default voltage and frequency.

Second thing is to make sure memory is not at fault. Use memtest86 (www.memtest86.com). You will probably have to leave memtest overnight to make sure every single bit is tested.

Next, DISABLE ACPI. Yeah, yeah it gives some nifty features like standby, but hell, do you want these errors gone? Then use Hibernate, which is very nice.
There are many ways to disable ACPI:
1. Simply go to device manager, open Computer, and change anything that is there (can be "ACPI compliant system", anything, containing ACPI) to "Standard PC by the method of "Update driver" and select advanced. Then on reboot go to bios and change ACPI to disable. The sequence is important, as failing to do so may render your pc unbootable (the data won't be lost, don't worry)
2. If your motherboard has ACPI Enable field accessible, disable it and reinstall windows. This is a hardcore way somewhat, but a lot of people prefer it, as it ensures anything works right.
3. If your motherboard does not support ACPI Enable/disable setting, then there still is a solution (are you already jumping from happiness?). Simply install Windows XP from the hard drive, by copying the full i386 folder to any place and running winnt.exe (smartdrv.exe highly recommended prior to this option). Don?t forget the important part :) : edit txtsetup.sif file. Replace the string ACPIEnable=2 to ACPIEnable=0. And then run smartdrv.exe and then winnt.exe from i386. Also note, smartdrv.exe is not included with Windows XP. It is widely available on the internet however, and on my dcc bot in #windowsxp on EFNet (red_dcc)
4. Personally I prefer to combine both steps 1 and 2, just to be absolutely sure it goes right.

Next step is to make sure that as few devices as possible are sharing IRQs. To achieve this, go to BIOS (this blue thing that you can reach by pressing DEL in most cases when memory count is being conducted), and set IRQs MANUALLY. If you are a proud owner of any Creative card, then it cannot share an IRQ with anything, so make sure it does not.

Also make sure you do assign an IRQ for AGP card (make sure it?s also not sharing it, just in case), and for USB, if you use it (if not ? disable it completely, it will free up an IRQ). If you have a RAID controller, they also don?t like sharing too much, but can handle it if there is no other choice (with the reservations made above, read SOUNDCARD AND VIDEO).

Rest should be fine, as most of the NIC?s share IRQs well enough; they can share it with USB, and other devices not listed above. If you cannot assign IRQs manually in BIOS, the only choice you have left is to try to move cards in the slots around.

Also, one quick note, ISA cards generally can NOT share IRQs, so either avoid them or avoid them . That?s what helped me, hope this will help you too.

Just one more thing, to be completely sure, I would also recommend to reinstall Windows XP with a modified txtsetup.sif file (found in i386). In this file change the line ACPIEnable=2 to ACPIEnable=0. Or if you still want to install the OS from the original CD, press F7 during setup (when it asks you if you want to install any third party raid or SCSI driver) and later, select "Standard PC" from the list of computers.

Oh yeah, forgot another important thing. Use signed (read WHQL) drivers. Yeah, they are not that fast, but I guess when you choose from stability and speed, the choice is obvious. At least for me. (Well, ok ok, I don't use WHQL drivers for my RAID controller, but Highpoint did a decent job in the last two releases, so they are ok to use)

Please feel free to pick and choose its a common error with no guaranteed solutions but one of these may work for you.
The hard part is when you can't consistantly get the error to reproduce but its just every once in a while. Then you have to decide if its annoying enough to go through all the trouble shooting.
good luck I am sure others will have more thoughts.