Driver Settings Poll (forcing vsync)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I generally avoid V-Sync, because I run my vertical refresh rate at 85Hz, so it wouldn't do much for me anyway.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
edit: I let my emotions cause me to write this after reading a response, and I don't see how it helps anything, so I am taking it out.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Martimus
I generally avoid V-Sync, because I run my vertical refresh rate at 85Hz, so it wouldn't do much for me anyway.

I use anywhere between 85hz and 140hz depending on the resolution, and still find it essential.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: CP5670

I use anywhere between 85hz and 140hz depending on the resolution, and still find it essential.

I think I may start to use it on Open GL games, because I am noticing tearing on Prey. I had forgotten that was caused by a lack of V-Sync, since I hadn't seen tearing in a while. Reading these posts helped me with that, so I am greatful!

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
I always notice tearing, so I always force vsync. Your LCD can't display more than 60fps anyway - so who cares...

~MiSfit

FireChicken

Jun 6, 2006
Off always. I use a CRT so I dont have to worry about tearing. I wont move to LCD until LCDs can do higher FPS

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: FireChicken
Off always. I use a CRT so I dont have to worry about tearing. I wont move to LCD until LCDs can do higher FPS

CRTs have just as much issue with tearing as LCDs ... without vsync, especially at high framerates (its possible at any framerate though), it is easy to get part of more than one frame into the framebuffer before it is sent to the screen for drawing. this is regardless of the monitor used.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Sorry guys but what does screen tearing look like? Also what does an artifact look like?

I voted for "yes, sometimes" since mine is left at off unless the application needs it on.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
its linked from the wiki articles I listed... here is one specifically about tearing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_tearing

And artifact can look like anything, thats why it is called an artifact. It is a random corruption, it can be lines, dots, fuzz, whatever. Again, look it up on wikipedia.

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
I almost always force vsync ON when FPS >60 . 150 FPS on a 60Hz LCD tears like crazy.

And if FPS < 60, then I usually just leave it off if it hinders performance.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
An incomplete poll, so I can not answer. Forced on is not there, and I can ascertain you I do not let the application decide.

CRTs have just as much issue with tearing as LCDs

In all honesty, I can only assume you are legally blind if you honestly believe this. A 180Hz refresh rate display has SIGNIFICANTLY less issues with tearing then a 60Hz one. Yes, I have compared them side by side. LCDs are so painfully slow that tearing is a major issue, with a fast enough CRT it is a very minor one(FP2141 for example). Saying CRTs still have issues with tearing would be accurate, to say that they are on equal footing is absurd.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: DerekWilson
Originally posted by: taltamir
Force it off? I always force it on. :p

Same

The poll is REALLY biased. It should have been:
1. Forced Off
2. Forced On
3. I left it at the default (Application controlled)
4. I force it on or off depending on the game I want to play.
5. What?

Sometimes force it off? you force it off and then you dont force it off? well, maybe if you had a game where it was on by default and cannot be disabled in game, and another game where it was off by default and needed it badly, you could switch from force on to force off.

lol ...

my poll is not biased wrt to the data i am trying to obtain.

i'm not interested in whether or not people use vsync either in game or forced on in the driver -- that is irrelevant to issue i am trying to address.

the only thing i care about is what percent of people force vsync off in the control panel all of the time and what percent of people never force it off in the control panel.

no matter what you do with the setting, there is an option for you:

1) yes, always: when you install a new graphics card you flip it to force vsync off and forget it.

2) yes, sometimes: you change the driver settings on a per game or some other basis or it's just not always set to one thing or the other on your system. but sometimes you do force vsync off in the control panel when playing games.

3) no, never: you either: leave the setting default (app controlled) or force vsync on. but you never force it off in the driver.

4) cause who doesn't like a funny nonsense answer.

for my data collection purpose and focus, there is no bias here.

Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
An incomplete poll, so I can not answer. Forced on is not there, and I can ascertain you I do not let the application decide.

This is exactly the issue. Some people are not voting at all because their option, Force on, is not in the poll. I almost didn't vote myself. So when you take it as a percent of people who do so you are getting an inflated percent due to people refusing to vote in what they see as a biased poll.

It is like asking "Is <insert name here> the worst president the US ever had, just kinda bad, or do you not care". You are gonna get very skewed results because people will refuse to vote on such a poll.

On the other hand, if you want to know if people are forcing it off in the driver or in the application, then you are skewing it the OTHER way, because some people who force it on would answer "no never", when they should have not voted at all.

Ofcourse, I still don't know the specific reason you have for the poll, so those kind of things might be a non issue. I wasn't saying YOU are biased, just giving advice on poll question framing.

Nathelion

Jan 30, 2006
I ALWAYS force vsync on. Not having vsync makes me nauseous in most games, especially those using various iterations of the unreal engine. I also tend to lower the graphics details to minimum or close to minimum even if I have a powerful video card. I'm not sure why, but it seems to help a lot. I figure it probably brings up the minimum framerate, making the visual experience smoother.

PolymerTim

Apr 29, 2002
I realize at first glance the options might be confusing, but I have to agree with Derek that the options include everyone. It's very simple. He asked if you do something and the options are always, sometimes, never, and I don't know what that is. Of course there are different combinations of options that are also complete, but that doesn't invalidate this set. Obviously, the "no, never" option can be sub-divided, but there is nothing wrong with this option for the person that always forces vsync on since they, by definition, never force it off.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Force it off? I always force it on. :p

Same

The poll is REALLY biased. It should have been:
1. Forced Off
2. Forced On
3. I left it at the default (Application controlled)
4. I force it on or off depending on the game I want to play.
5. What?

Sometimes force it off? you force it off and then you dont force it off? well, maybe if you had a game where it was on by default and cannot be disabled in game, and another game where it was off by default and needed it badly, you could switch from force on to force off.

lol ...

my poll is not biased wrt to the data i am trying to obtain.

i'm not interested in whether or not people use vsync either in game or forced on in the driver -- that is irrelevant to issue i am trying to address.

the only thing i care about is what percent of people force vsync off in the control panel all of the time and what percent of people never force it off in the control panel.

no matter what you do with the setting, there is an option for you:

1) yes, always: when you install a new graphics card you flip it to force vsync off and forget it.

2) yes, sometimes: you change the driver settings on a per game or some other basis or it's just not always set to one thing or the other on your system. but sometimes you do force vsync off in the control panel when playing games.

3) no, never: you either: leave the setting default (app controlled) or force vsync on. but you never force it off in the driver.

4) cause who doesn't like a funny nonsense answer.

for my data collection purpose and focus, there is no bias here.

Originally posted by: BenSkywalker

This is exactly the issue. Some people are not voting at all because their option, Force on, is not in the poll. I almost didn't vote myself. So when you take it as a percent of people who do so you are getting an inflated percent due to people refusing to vote in what they see as a biased poll.

It is like asking "Is <insert name here> the worst president the US ever had, just kinda bad, or do you not care". You are gonna get very skewed results because people will refuse to vote on such a poll.

On the other hand, if you want to know if people are forcing it off in the driver or in the application, then you are skewing it the OTHER way, because some people who force it on would answer "no never", when they should have not voted at all.

Ofcourse, I still don't know the specific reason you have for the poll, so those kind of things might be a non issue. I wasn't saying YOU are biased, just giving advice on poll question framing.

you are missing one thing .. by making the poll his way - we have a very lively and interesting discussion going :p

Mine is ALWAYS OFF .. forced in the CP
.. i think Vista even knows better by now .. i'll go look right now ....

OMG ... i have been switching Video cards and drivers back and forth today ... for the FIRST time EVAR back in CCC - it says "Off, unless Application specifies" .. so that is "once"
:Q

How do i change my vote from "yes, always" ?
:eek:
[i switched it to 'off' in CCC quickly before anyone else noticed :p]

:laugh:

You guys take it Waaaaaay too seriously ... are we here to debate or learn
[both are cool .. as long as there is balance]

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Off in online games, On offline.

Usually will set it in the game options though.
I voted for Sometimes. But I should've selected "No, never".. because I always do it in-game. I do it this way since I do discriminate between online play and offline.. and I dont even bother most of the time in offline games unless i see noticable tearing.

App controlled ftw

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
Nice article. Now I know never to disable vsync in the control panel!

thanks ... hope that clears up why I made the poll the way I did as well :)

In case some of you don't know what he's talking about, I added a link in the OP to the page of my 9800 GTX article that explains why I wanted this info.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Nice article. Now I know never to disable vsync in the control panel!

thanks ... hope that clears up why I made the poll the way I did as well :)

In case some of you don't know what he's talking about, I added a link in the OP to the page of my 9800 GTX article that explains why I wanted this info.

Well i made a good start .. yesterday .. ahead of the article when i accidentally left it "application decide"
:Q

i guarantee it is 'application decide' - now, thanks Derek - nice discovery!
:D