Driver problems - MSI G4 4200

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I booted my computer up yesterday and it told me it had detected new hardware - a MSI G4 4200. This is the card I had been using all along (new computer, about a week old).

It steps through the instalation process but errors out right at the end with a message that it can't find a file.

I tried using MSI Live Update and grabbed the latest driver (.30). Same problem.

Even with the error, when I right click and look at properties, it shows the information I would expect and 3D games work fine. As soon as I reboot, I get the same error.

Any ideas what to do?

I have tried uninstalling the card and it reboots as a VGA device. I then get the exact same problem when the new hardware is detected.

The last file it appears to be trying to copy is generic.tvp.

It does not prompt me to reboot after the driver instalation errors out.

Michael

ps - no overclocking of the system or the video card. P2.4, MSI 845 Ultra ARU motherboard

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001
I have the MSI GeForce4 4600, I've never used the MSI drivers because they are always a few versions behind. Try the reference detonator drivers which can be downloaded here (for Win2K/XP).

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Same error with the NVIDIA drivers and the MSI drivers. MSI is now current - they have the same driver #.

Michael

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I ended up doing a system restore to a couple of days ago and the problem went away. I suspect that something I installed messed up a file that was needed for the drivers to install properly and enter into the registry.

I went back to the 28.90 version of the drivers and then upgraded to 30.00 with no problems. MSI does not suggest using the NVIDIA reference drivers for my card because of the TV out. They're current with NVIDIA so there's no reason to use the rference drivers.

Michael