Driver install in Hyper-V

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I need a 32-bit OS to interface with an old Pronto universal remote. It connects through USB for changing the configuration using software provided. No 64-bit drivers were ever produced or ever will be produced.

I have Hyper-V in Windows 10 on my desktop up and running with a 32-bit version of Windows 7 running within it. In Device Manager, there are various devices that require drivers, the most important to me obviously are those that enable USB functionality. I am totally flummoxed on how to get these devices drivered up. My Google skills are failing me. How do I get these drivers installed?

For the sake of interest, I have been interfacing with the remote control through an XP VM running in VMWare Player but I want to do a clean install on the laptop it's running on and wished to move this rarely used process to my desktop using Hyper-V that is built in.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Just to update, I'm all set. I found the same version of VMWare Player I was using and downloaded it. I installed it years ago and had not saved the file. I copied the VM from the laptop to the desktop, pointed VMWare to it and after a few minor jiggles was up and running. Easy peasy.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Just in case someone comes across this, it sounds like you need to install the Integrated Services (similar to VMWare Tools)

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Just in case someone comes across this, it sounds like you need to install the Integrated Services (similar to VMWare Tools)
The list in Integrated Services populated with a few features that usually need to be enabled in Windows, not drivers, although perhaps they were included but not listed. Based on what was in the list, I did not install them.

I ran into a Catch-22. With no USB support, I was unable to install drivers from a flash drive. I burned them to a DVD, but the disk could not be read. I then burned a few drivers essential to my quest to a CD and once again the disk could not be read. It appeared the only answer was to update Windows 7 and we all know what a horribly time consuming process that is. I needed to do the update because the version of IE included in WIn7 was not compatible with the Asus site where I could have downloaded the drivers. Also, I had zero need for Internet access in this VM as I only needed a piece of software and some configuration files in place to interact with the universal remote. In other words, I had no interest in installing a slew of updates to get to a place where I could install drivers.

And, being fairly unfamiliar with using VM software and with no experience in Hyper-V, I was unsure if installing drivers for the motherboard would in fact work with Hyper-V.