Question Driver Help | 2 AMD GPUs | Win 10

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Hey all,

My RX580 has been running Milkyway with no issues at all, so as all tinkerers do, I decided it was time to break things and get both cards up and running in one box...

I can get both cards to be recognized by the Device Manager, but can only install the drivers for one or the other at a time.

Is there a driver that might get both of these cards up and running at the same time for Milkway in Windows 10?

The HD5850 is no slouch - it was crunching WUs at a 2:20 pace - slower than my RX580, but only by about 25%. I'd love to have both running rather than let the old card sit in a box if I don't have to.

PC Specs:
Windows 10
BOINC Client (most recent version, but I can supply the version number if that will help)
Athlon II X4 635 @ stock speeds
4GB DDR2 RAM
Biostar A760G M2+
eVGA G2 750 watt PSU
RX 580 in PCI-E x16 slot
HD5850 in PCI-E x1 slot with riser card and USB 3.0 interface

Thanks! I'd love to get this frankenbuild up and running!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sigh. I don't think that this is possible. (Though I'd love to be proven wrong on that point.)

I think that you can mix respectively GCN and G N cards, with a GCN driver, and VLIW cards with VLIW cards and a VLIW AMD driver, but I'm not aware of a way to install both an AMD GCN and VLIW card in one system, under Win10.

Have you tried manually extracting the driver archives, and then manually installing the drivers in Device Manger using "Have disk..." option, and pointing them to the manually-extracted drivers?

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Have you tried manually extracting the driver archives, and then manually installing the drivers in Device Manger using "Have disk..." option, and pointing them to the manually-extracted drivers?

Oh, good call! I read somewhere that this worked for someone else. I did try it, but stopped because I wasn't sure where to manually extract the drivers from. I know - totally noobish to give up there, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone had another idea.

Do you know how to manually extract the drivers? Do I just use winrar?

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Posting an update:

No joy so far. I've found how to install the drivers using "Have Disk" and navigating to the .inf file, but each time I get the old 5850 drivers installed, the RX580 gets an error in Device Manager saying "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". It still shows the correct drivers being installed for the 580, but it won't work properly.

I've tried installed them in different orders, tried installing the HD5850 in the x16 slot, shutting down the PC, installing the RX580 in the x16 slot and installing it, then shutting down and installing both cards, as well as tons of other combinations, but can't seem to get past this error.

I've even turned off the Windows Automatic Driver Update.

I'm going to keep tinkering, but this may be a lost cause. If this doesn't work, I might have to try to get the HD5850 or RX580 to work in Linux with my 1070GTX. Stay tuned!