Driver Heaven review 3870 vs 8800GT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Ackmed
Originally posted by: taltamir
I looked at that computer base review... firstly, it is in german... secondly. Why in the blazes are they comparing a 3870 and 3850 to 8800GTS? They should be comparing them to the GT, not to obsolete hardware.

Its funny that a lot of NV fans have discounted the site in the past, because its German. As if English reviews are the only ones that count. Computerbase is a very good site. Also, they do compare it to the GT. GTS obsolete? Heh, thats pretty funny. Especially since there is a newer version of it out, than the GT.

Sure the 8800GT is generally faster. Not by a lot though. It also costs a good chunk of change more too.

It does not cost more, read more threads, please.

trajan2050

Nov 14, 2007
In a host of reviews 8800 GT averaged 22% faster at stock and overclocks easily to 30%. and beyond. Nothing to sneeze at. With some diligence can be had for roughly the same money

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: superbooga
Tuteja, are frame rates at unplayable settings all that important? I'd rather have a card that's faster at playable settings and slower at unplayable than one that's slower at playable and faster at unplayable. A better way to look at it would be:

Playable, advantage HD3870:
Oblivion 1600x1200 8xAA/16xAF
Rainbow Six Vegas ? 1600x1200

Playable, advantage 8800GT:
Company of heroes 1600x1200 8xAA/16xAF
Gothic 3 1600x1200 16xAF
World in conflict 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF

I don't consider 40 fps to be playable for Bioshock, FEAR, and Prey.

I consider that playable as long as the min FPS doesn't go below 30, and the game is not a twitch shooter like CS.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
There are no other review sites I trust more than computerbase. I like the fact that they compare a wide range of cards, so you know how much of an upgrade you can expect if you still have an older card, and you can see which cards age well and which ones relied on marketing and IQ cheats. Moreover, this site was one of the few which ran tests with TRAA/AAA enabled, and with HQ texture settings on the 7-series cards, while other, less competent reviews just used the default cookie-cutter settings in blissful ignorance.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I looked at that computer base review... firstly, it is in german... secondly. Why in the blazes are they comparing a 3870 and 3850 to 8800GTS? They should be comparing them to the GT, not to obsolete hardware.

Its funny that a lot of NV fans have discounted the site in the past, because its German. As if English reviews are the only ones that count. Computerbase is a very good site. Also, they do compare it to the GT. GTS obsolete? Heh, thats pretty funny. Especially since there is a newer version of it out, than the GT.

Sure the 8800GT is generally faster. Not by a lot though. It also costs a good chunk of change more too.

It's always funny, isn't it?

1st bold: I don't recall this site being much of anything in the past, much less discounted. We'll need links to show NV fans discounting this site to back up your claim.

2nd bold: Why?

Last bold: Generally faster? Not by a lot? I guess this depends on the review site you choose to accept as factual. And a good chunk of change more than what? A FX5200? Surely you can't mean the HD3870's now that their being price gouged as well?

ManWithNoName

Oct 19, 2007
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

It's always funny, isn't it?

1st bold: I don't recall this site being much of anything in the past, much less discounted. We'll need links to show NV fans discounting this site to back up your claim.

2nd bold: Why?

Last bold: Generally faster? Not by a lot? I guess this depends on the review site you choose to accept as factual. And a good chunk of change more than what? A FX5200? Surely you can't mean the HD3870's now that their being price gouged as well?

Bravo Keys and thanks for saving me from a "Warning".

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: swtethan

It does not cost more, read more threads, please.

The 8800GT doesnt cost more than the 3870? You may want to take a look at newegg, as their prices agree with me. While both cards are all out of stock, the 3870's are defiantly lower priced overall. But since they are all out of stock.. it doesnt matter when comparing neweggs price. The lowest price 3870 on bestbuy's site is $65 cheaper than the lowest priced 8800GT. But again, they're both out of stock. Supply is lacking for both NV and ATi at the moment.

Originally posted by: trajan2050
In a host of reviews 8800 GT averaged 22% faster at stock and overclocks easily to 30%. and beyond. Nothing to sneeze at. With some diligence can be had for roughly the same money

You may not know this, but the 3870 can overclock too!

Originally posted by: munky
There are no other review sites I trust more than computerbase. I like the fact that they compare a wide range of cards, so you know how much of an upgrade you can expect if you still have an older card, and you can see which cards age well and which ones relied on marketing and IQ cheats. Moreover, this site was one of the few which ran tests with TRAA/AAA enabled, and with HQ texture settings on the 7-series cards, while other, less competent reviews just used the default cookie-cutter settings in blissful ignorance.

I agree. Sadly, some people are blinded by bias.

trajan2050

Nov 14, 2007
Review after review from Driverheaven to Anandtech to Hardocp to Trusted reviews show the same thing 20-30% faster than 3870 at stock. Hardly bias. US is the largest market at the moment so obviously the the most widely viewed sites are in English.
When ATI comes out with a superior product I'm sure these sites will happily report it.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Review after review from Driverheaven to Anandtech to Hardocp to Trusted reviews show the same thing 20-30% faster than 3870 at stock. Hardly bias. US is the largest market at the moment so obviously the the most widely viewed sites are in English.
When ATI comes out with a superior product I'm sure these sites will happily report it.

When did I say the 8800GT wasnt faster? In fact, I said it was. I would be hard pressed not to get one, if they ever get enough out, so that price gouging stops. I dont pay price gouge prices. Except for the Hannah Montana concert.. but thats different. ;) What I did, was tell you that the 3870 can overclock too. Why did I do that? Because you only pointed out that the 8800GT can, like its a feature the 3870 doesnt have.

I said some people are bias, because they think that just because a site is in German, it doesnt count. Thats an old excuse, that simply doesnt cut it. When in fact, thats the opposite of the truth. As munky stated, they've been doing things better than most, for a long time.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

When did I say the 8800GT wasnt faster? In fact, I said it was. I would be hard pressed not to get one, if they ever get enough out, so that price gouging stops. I dont pay price gouge prices. Except for the Hannah Montana concert.. but thats different. ;) What I did, was tell you that the 3870 can overclock too. Why did I do that? Because you only pointed out that the 8800GT can, like its a feature the 3870 doesnt have.

I said some people are bias, because they think that just because a site is in German, it doesnt count. Thats an old excuse, that simply doesnt cut it. When in fact, thats the opposite of the truth. As munky stated, they've been doing things better than most, for a long time.

In bold: Actually, he said this word for word:

"In a host of reviews 8800 GT averaged 22% faster at stock and overclocks easily to 30%."

This implied that he covered his bases. 22% faster at stock, AND can o/c to 30% easily. He did not restrict his comment to overclocking as you imply. And we all know the 3870 can overclock as well.

You need to consider a halt on your usage of the word "bias", as any member can tell, you have more than most here on AT. This is not an attack, just an observation that I thought needed to be brought to your attention. Because you use this term so frequently, I thought you should be aware what others may think of it when you use it. You know, the irony.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
On newegg they are BOTH overpriced...

On newegg the 3870 currently costs 5$ more then the cheapest GT... both of which cost 270+...

Which is utterly rediculous.
Dell.com sells the 3870 for 220$ + tax (if in texas, like me) with free shipping...
MSI OC 8800GT for 207 + tax (if in texas, like me) with free shipping (i ordered that, came out to 225$ total)
XFX for 225 + tax (if in texas, like me) and free shipping.

So the bottom line is that you can find on dell a GT for LESS money then the 3870... and for 207 to boot.. AND it is oced aswell.. I think it was to 660mhz (from 600).

Also, I wasn't discounting the site because it is german. I was saying that people here are gonna have a hard time reading it, so why even bother when there are DOZENS of english review sites that are good and can be sited and actually READ. Since we are all speaking english here it will make more sense... And I don't see how that makes me an "nvidia fanboi"

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
You have a good point. Although we have some translate bots to choose from, the words are translated, but the grammar leaves much to be desired. Not a show stopper by any means. We can still get the idea.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
On newegg they are BOTH overpriced...

On newegg the 3870 currently costs 5$ more then the cheapest GT... both of which cost 270+...

Which is utterly rediculous.
Dell.com sells the 3870 for 220$ + tax (if in texas, like me) with free shipping...
MSI OC 8800GT for 207 + tax (if in texas, like me) with free shipping (i ordered that, came out to 225$ total)
XFX for 225 + tax (if in texas, like me) and free shipping.

So the bottom line is that you can find on dell a GT for LESS money then the 3870... and for 207 to boot.. AND it is oced aswell.. I think it was to 660mhz (from 600).

Also, I wasn't discounting the site because it is german. I was saying that people here are gonna have a hard time reading it, so why even bother when there are DOZENS of english review sites that are good and can be sited and actually READ. Since we are all speaking english here it will make more sense... And I don't see how that makes me an "nvidia fanboi"

Yes, they are overpriced. However, both the lowest price for the 3870 and the 8800GT is $270 on newegg. Unless I missed a card, I see both at $270 for the lowest. Thats also the most expensive 3870, where as the 8800GT goes up to $330.

As far as Dell goes, yeah, thats a very good price. You have to pull some shenanigan to get them though. Its not as if you can just go to the site, and buy it. Best Buy had the 3870 for $215 yesterday, now its out of stock. That doesnt help me, neither do the Dell prices. Next week someone else will have some special, and this one will be over. Happens all the time.The fact is, the 3870 has a lower MSRP, and far more often than not, sells for less. Since both cards are so scarce right now, and price gouging is occurring, Im not buying either. Its a shame they cant meet demand, again.

Why read computerbase? Because as I, and others have said, they've been doing things better for years. They play at settings I play at. Who else used TRAA/AAA and HQ enabled years ago, or today for that matter. Nobody that I know of. They go for the best IQ possible. Instead of people running 3dmark at the lowest, to get a higher score, that is totally useless. I dont read them exclusively, but I do read them. Being German, it does help. I like lots of common hardware sites. Firingsquad is one of my favs. One of the very first to use 1920x1200, which is what Ive been on for going on three years now. I also like Hard's, and Rage3D's. However, none of these reviewers use the settings that computerbase use, which are the same that I use. So why not read from somewhere that uses the same settings as I do? Makes sense to me.

I also never called you a, "nvidia fanboi". Since you used quotes, you're saying I called you exactly that. I didnt. Please dont put words in my mouth again. I said that some NV fans in the past have discounted the site, simply because its in German. Which is pretty sad. And yes, that is being bias.

So for cliff notes I said;
3870 is generally cheaper (it is)
8800GT is generally faster (it is)
NV fans in the past have discounted computerbase because its german when they didnt like the info (they have)

If you have a problem with any of this, oh well. Its pretty cut and dry.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

I said that some NV fans in the past have discounted the site, simply because its in German. Which is pretty sad. And yes, that is being bias.

Do some ATI fans discount the site as well?

By the way, Newegg has the OOS price on the cheapest 3870 at 269.99. They also have the cheapest OOS stock clocked 8800GT at 269.99. And they actually have a 8800GT factory o/c'd version IN stock for 299.99.

So this comment:

"So for cliff notes I said;
8800GT is generally faster (it is)"

Is only 50% right. The 3870 used to be cheaper, but only for a short while. Just like the 8800GT, the prices already got ramped up. Now they are pretty much on equal pricing ground unless you want an o/c'd GT. But other than that, they are dead even in price now, and you know what that means.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005

I said that some NV fans in the past have discounted the site, simply because its in German. Which is pretty sad. And yes, that is being bias.

By the way, Newegg has the OOS price on the cheapest 3870 at 269.99. They also have the cheapest OOS stock clocked 8800GT at 269.99. And they actually have a 8800GT factory o/c'd version IN stock for 299.99.

So this comment:

Is only 50% right. The 3870 used to be cheaper, but only for a short while. Just like the 8800GT, the prices already got ramped up. Now they are pretty much on equal pricing ground unless you want an o/c'd GT. But other than that, they are dead even in price now, and you know what that means.

well put, sir. I had FOUR 3870s in my possesion, too bad i didnt have leet quad fire board!

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: tuteja1986
Originally posted by: ronnn
DH is one of my favorite sites and I like their nice attitude, but their reviews are not good. Didn't even bother reading this one, as the conclusion is generally a foregone conclusion. But as I said, great site if you want off the beaten track drivers.

You hated the site in year 2005.

Well that certainly is a lie. I always have liked that site, just never been thrilled about their reviews. Hell I won a x1900gt there, which is more than I ever got here. They have very nice driver support for creative cards and third party gpu drivers. Also they have driver cleaner and my favorite dh shutdown.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Driver Heaven, a site which in the past has been very favorable to ATI products:

Yes when they are in favour of something, it gets silly. They have a history of cherrypicking games and settings to support their case. Also they tend to get optimal results to support the cause. Anyways not a big deal, as any card you can find at mrsp is good.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

So this comment:

They are not equal in pricing by any stretch. Here the 8800gt is $40 to $60 Canadian more and much less available. Like who cares about newegg, when all they do is gouge? Also following one member around is silly.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: ronnn

So this comment:

They are not equal in pricing by any stretch. Here the 8800gt is $40 to $60 Canadian more and much less available. Like who cares about newegg, when all they do is gouge? Also following one member around is silly.

Then congratulations on being Canadian! That is good for you guys. Here, the playing field is more level. Here as in the U.S.A.

And bolded above: Do you really want to go there ronnn?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

So this comment:

I disagree with this. I spent a LOT of time researching 8800gt and reading every review I could find on 3870 before finally pulling the trigger on a 3870. While it is "possible" to pre-order an 8800gt for 220 or so, and perhaps in certain rare instances even "buy" one at that price, the VAST majority of 8800's that are IN STOCK and AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW are higher-priced than similar IN STOCK and AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW 3870's.

I looked at the dell deal on 8800gt, I followed the pny deal that anand has on his hot picks links on the main AT page, and all of them have cool little disclaimers like "limited availability", "usually ships in 1-2 weeks" or, my favorite, "Availability: Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your credit card will not be charged until we ship the item.
This item will arrive after December 24."

Let's face it, the msrp of 3870 is $30 lower than a low-end manufacturer 8800gt 512's msrp b/c the card is slower. Certainly not as much slower in some (mainly newer) games than others, and perhaps even faster in certain instances, but overall the consensus is that it is a slower card. A $30 lower msrp is designed to reflect that.

As far as overclocking goes, the 8800gt does slightly better with core but nowhere close in memory. MANY people have posted 860/1300+ numbers. I personally am running 860/1331 right now with no problems whatsoever. This is an 85 mhz increase in core and a 205 mhz increase in memory for about 12% core and 18+% memory. 8800gt obviously can go to 700+, usually 710-725 on most cards core, so say 20% avg. however, it is VERY hard pressed to get even a 100 mhz memory oc stable. swtethan got 780 on his core and even he is still running 1000 mem iirc. johnnyguru mentioned the other day his concerns about running the memory on an 8800gt over 1000, too, so this appears to be a legitimate 8800gt concern. When the limited 256 bit bus is taken into account, I think that the much greater memory oc makes up for the slightly lower core oc's available (without updating bios and whatnot which is a little bit scary for most users imho), giving 3870 a slight oc edge.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Let me just say this: if the 8800GT had a dual slot cooling solution like the 3870 that expels the hot air and I could get it for a little less than MSRP, I would be all over that. Do others feel the same way who are going for the 3870?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
the dual slot cooling that expells the air out the of the case was a big deal for me. I have an antec 900, which as we all know has the psu on the bottom. It's never been an issue before, but if I have a very hot-running graphics card throwing its exhaust at my psu...yeah, exactly. I've read articles on one or two 8800gt manufacturers who are planning a dual-slot cooling solution, though I don't think any of them are making one that exhausts the air out of the case. If you want that then you need to get a 3870 or wait for 8800gts 512.

There have been a few deals here and there for below msrp on 8800gt, just keep your eyes open. dell has/had one recently in the 210 range but the jury is out on when it will actually ship. the best offer I've seen where a lot of people have been able to acquire in-stock 8800gt's was a best buy deal in the $220 range. Realistically, you'll probably be able to get a deal on one btwn 220-240, but you will almost definitely not receive the actual card until sometime in 2008.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
But i need that dual slot cooling solution too :p Isn't it odd that they didnt use a dual slot solution?