Driver Follows Navigation System, Crashes

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Driver Follows Navigation System, Crashes
Reuters
BERLIN (Jan. 16) - A 46-year-old German motorist driving along a busy road suddenly veered to the left and ended up stuck on a railway track -- because his satellite navigation system told him to, police said Sunday.

The motorist was heading into the north German city of Bremen "when the friendly voice from his satnav told him to turn left," a spokesman said.

"He did what he was ordered to do and turned his Audi left up over the curb and onto the track of a local streetcar line. He tried to back up off the track but got completely stuck."

The police spokesman said about a dozen trams were held up until a tow truck arrived to clear the car off the track.

Several German motorists have crashed their cars in recent months, later telling police they were only obeying orders from their satnavs.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Darwin at work. As long as they don't hit anyone else, let's hope they render themselves sterile one way or another, and remove themselves from the gene pool.

Beelziboss

Jan 11, 2007
lol..when the GPS tells you to turn its informing you that your turn is the next one..it doesnt mean immediately turn the wheel.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I'm not a fan of NAV systems myself...I can follow printed directions the old fashioned way...;)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Isn't there an insurance company commercial where a guy crashes into store b/c he turns too soon when going by his GPS? :D

Something like "Turn right............in 500 feet"