drinking, using drugs and driving

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

I'm usually ready to jump in these threads and flame the sh!t out of granny two-shoes in here, but this thread is just pure crap.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Driving drunk makes the drive more interesting. All those targets yet so little time.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Statistically, drunk drivers and stoned people aren't as dangerous behind the wheel as people who get distracted easily by cell phones, their car stereo, or having other people in the car.

Im not saying driving under the influence isn't dangerous, because it is, but its not as dangerous as its made out to be and I think the recent push to a .08 BAC limit in most states is BS.

Also, I have been in the car with people who drive better after a drink or two than they do sober because they're paranoid about being pulled over. My friend Matt is like that. He drives this tricked out 3rd gen Camaro thats pushing about 450hp, and he drives like a total asshole when hes sober. Feed him a beer or two and he drives like my grandmother, cause he's afraid of getting pulled over while he has alcohol in his system.

AmericasTeam

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: nan0bug
Statistically, drunk drivers and stoned people aren't as dangerous behind the wheel as people who get distracted easily by cell phones, their car stereo, or having other people in the car.

Im not saying driving under the influence isn't dangerous, because it is, but its not as dangerous as its made out to be and I think the recent push to a .08 BAC limit in most states is BS.

Also, I have been in the car with people who drive better after a drink or two than they do sober because they're paranoid about being pulled over. My friend Matt is like that. He drives this tricked out 3rd gen Camaro thats pushing about 450hp, and he drives like a total asshole when hes sober. Feed him a beer or two and he drives like my grandmother, cause he's afraid of getting pulled over while he has alcohol in his system.

You are an fvcking idiot.

On average 41% of all fatal traffic accidents involve alcohol.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: AmericasTeam
Originally posted by: nan0bug

You are an fvcking idiot.

On average 41% of all fatal traffic accidents involve alcohol.

Alcohol-related fatalities are defined as fatalities that occur in crashes where at least one driver or non-occupant (pedestrian or pedal cyclist) involved in a crash has a positive (0.01+) Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) value.(1)

Note the part about .01 (no effect on driving. you can get a .01 from taking cough medicine) and PEDESTRIANS. That means if a drunk guy stumbles out in front of a car and gets killed it gets used in 'drunk driving' statistics.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the dangers of drunk driving. It's definately dangerous. However, theres a huge grey area on the lower end of the BAC spectrum. Some people with a .08 BAC can't even stand up straight. I don't even begin to feel a buzz until I'm up around 1.3 (and yes, I've tested with a breathalizer). Furthermore, most of the people who get in drunk driving accidents are well above the .08 limit, and I'd bet a nice amount of bank that a statistically signifigant amount of them are repeat offenders.

You can take the drink away from a drunk asshole and they'll still be an asshole.

Nanotech

Mar 10, 2004
Originally posted by: aircooled
depends on your tolerance to drugs or alcohol. some people can't drive well after a single drink, while other drive just fine after many drinks.

Precisely what I was thinking.

However, it should be noted that if you habitually smoke marijuania for an extended period of time and then stop for a month or more that individuals tolerance will never be near what it once was. Thus, an individual may be a safer driver during one stage of his/her life than at another. Similarly, some individuals can't drive well after a "one hitter", while others drive just fine after several hits of a "four footer".

Generally, the younger you are the more of a tolerance you have.

Quality of marijuania must also be taken into consideration!:)