drinking, using drugs and driving

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
As everyone knows, drinking and driving is bad because your motor skills are impaired when you consume alcohol. If you have difficulty walking, you cannot reasonably expect to be able to command a vehicle through traffic without incident. You are unable to respond as quickly in a crisis and your vision may be blurry. Driving drunk is thus stupid and it is clearly dangerous. Nevertheless, many argue that smoking marijuana is NOT detrimental to coordination and therefore that we should not feel uneasy about allowing pot-smokers to drive. These people contend that since marijuana makes you paranoid, pot-smokers will pay even closer attention to the road than they would while sober, and that therefore they may even be BETTER drivers while high than otherwise!

some idiot told me this: While on the subject of accidents, intoxicants don't necessarily cause them. Some drivers out there simply do not belong on the roads. The focus should not be placed on intoxicants, but rather the drivers themselves. I've seen people drive better drunk or high compared to other people who are perfectly sober.

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
There have been studies conducted on the effects of marijuana on driving. I believe one such study came up with numbers that showed the average stoned driver drove similarily to a driver with an 0.04 BAC, with both driving better than tired drivers. I'm too lazy to find links though, look it up yourself.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
depends on your tolerance to drugs or alcohol. some people can't drive well after a single drink, while other drive just fine after many drinks.

ArmenK

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
<Bill Hicks>It's not a war on drugs it's a war on personal freedom,
is what it is. Keep that in mind at all times OK?</Bill Hicks>

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Two men are driving towards stop signs. One is drunk, and one is stoned. What's the difference between their reactions?

The drunk runs the stop sign, the stoner waits for it to turn green.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n
Two men are driving towards stop signs. One is drunk, and one is stoned. What's the difference between their reactions?

The drunk runs the stop sign, the stoner waits for it to turn green.

sadly, i've done that more than once.

i have also:
stopped at a green light and waited for my turn to go.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I took a defensive driving class and everyone in the room went around the room and the 5 questions were what'd you get pulled over for, how many traffic violations have you had, how much has it cost you, and how many times have you driven drunk.

Well, almost 85% of the people in the class had driven drunk more than 5 times in their lives. Keep in mind this is a bunch of everyday people like you and me. Number kind of surprised me considering how against it most people you talk to seem to be. I figured the #s would be like 10%.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MegaWorks
As everyone knows, drinking and driving is bad because your motor skills are impaired when you consume alcohol. If you have difficulty walking, you cannot reasonably expect to be able to command a vehicle through traffic without incident. You are unable to respond as quickly in a crisis and your vision may be blurry. Driving drunk is thus stupid and it is clearly dangerous. Nevertheless, many argue that smoking marijuana is NOT detrimental to coordination and therefore that we should not feel uneasy about allowing pot-smokers to drive. These people contend that since marijuana makes you paranoid, pot-smokers will pay even closer attention to the road than they would while sober, and that therefore they may even be BETTER drivers while high than otherwise!

Did you actually have a point to make? Or are you just spouting useless conjecture?

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Yes.... as a matter of fact, my pants are on.

Driving drunk is illegal and dangerous. Don't do it. Weed is illegal. Don't do it.
Any questions?

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Did you actually have a point to make? Or are you just spouting useless conjecture?

I'm giving my opinion, if you hate it don't read it and plz go away

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1
I took a defensive driving class and everyone in the room went around the room and the 5 questions were what'd you get pulled over for, how many traffic violations have you had, how much has it cost you, and how many times have you driven drunk.

Well, almost 85% of the people in the class had driven drunk more than 5 times in their lives. Keep in mind this is a bunch of everyday people like you and me. Number kind of surprised me considering how against it most people you talk to seem to be. I figured the #s would be like 10%.

Well, I guess you don't think people tend to enjoy their personal freedom?

Truth is that when people drink they tend not to focus their thoughts on things like how drunk they are or how they are going to get home. This is one of the problems with drinking. It impairs your ability to make good decisions.

I've driven after having a drink or two. In fact, I did it last night. My wife and I went out to dinner with some friends and we consumed one bottle of wine between three of us (my friend's wife didn't have any). I felt fine to drive home and I did.

Some people go waaay beyond this though and the results are sometimes injury and death. That said, I think the drunk driving laws in this country border on excessive for the casual drinker and there is no way to measure tolerance which is a HUGE factor in your ability to control a motor vehicle or use good judgement.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

Truth is that when people drink they tend not to focus their thoughts on things like how drunk they are or how they are going to get home. This is one of the problems with drinking. It impairs your ability to make good decisions.

I've driven after having a drink or two. In fact, I did it last night. My wife and I went out to dinner with some friends and we consumed one bottle of wine between three of us (my friend's wife didn't have any). I felt fine to drive home and I did.

Some people go waaay beyond this though and the results are sometimes injury and death. That said, I think the drunk driving laws in this country border on excessive for the casual drinker and there is no way to measure tolerance which is a HUGE factor in your ability to control a motor vehicle or use good judgement.

I actually agree with you...

I was just saying I was a little surprised considering how against drunk driving most people are.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Well, I guess you did make a point about driving drunk but when you started driveling on about marijuana you definitely were not making any sense and you did not make a statement of any kind.:beer:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I actually agree with you...

I was just saying I was a little surprised considering how against drunk driving most people are.

I guess most people are hypocrites.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

This isn't an opinion, this is undirected, pointless rambling. I could post and tell you if I prefer my desk black or wood, but no one would really care about that would that? Same thing applies here.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i would have to say driving high is easier than driving after drinking, not even drunk just buzzed even. just my 2 cents, from personal experience.

they are both BAD ideas, but i'd say you are much more likely to do something dumb from alcohol. the paranoia from being high makes you much more aware it seems.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A stoned dude crossed the center line and ran head-on on into me back in 1975, when I was delivering pizzas, so I'm against stoned drivers.