Drinking and Driving...

stomp

Oct 9, 1999
I don't know why... I'm a horrible person. I drove home a few minutes ago under the influence. I can't help but truly regret my actions. I'm not drunk, but surely am not sober... probably at the legal limit for alcohol in my state. But nonetheless, I wonder about my motivation for driving... and it was strictly not to get in trouble with the 'rents. I did refrain from further imbibing because I wanted to be able to drive home... so I limited myself to 7 beers (friend had a keg between we three, practically cried when he trashed the rest)

Please PLEASE berate me for my actions, as I deserve some sort of retaliatory response for my stupid completely inconsiderate and dangerous performance. I am the very type of person I want to throw in prison... I am hypocrisy in the truest sense.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
You are an evil evil person who will rot for all eternity in the depths of hell.

<< ... so I limited myself to 7 beers >>

You call that a LIMIT?

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
If you are so against drunk driving, why did you allow yourself to do it in the first place?
What are you gonna do the next time you had something to drink? And the time after that?

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
<< ... so I limited myself to 7 beers >>

<<<You call that a LIMIT? >>>

Hey, that's just getting warmed up for some of us!:Q

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Personally, I find the system to blame in some sense. If you're underage, I think that the fact that you *illegally* consumed alcohol only encourages minors to drive while drunk (because if you have to call someone (like your parents) for a ride you might get in trouble [whereas you figure driving yourself is merely a 'gamble'].

Of course, driving while drunk is VERY stupid, and no one should do it. I am in no way excusing your actions, you put innocent people (and yourself) at risk. But preaching it and practicing it is quite different for some people.

The best thing is to have a designated driver, but those seem pretty rare in the teenage years.

Rankor

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2000
How can you look yourself in the mirror if you just happen to injure (possibly MURDER) someone as a result?

Junior year in college working on my first major.

Was an RA on campus in one of the dorms. My shift. Early Saturday morning, 1993.

3 am...

A roar of a speeding Toyota Supra, the screeching of wheels, the explosive crash of a head-on collision w/a Chevy Blazer. This happened on campus by the dorms. Both vehicles totalled. Occupants from both vehicles dead. Driver of Supra was intoxicated. Bottles of 3-40s were in the Supra, the speedometer needle stuck at the speed the now-deceased driver sped: 75 mph. The occupants from the Blazer who were just coming back are also dead.

No matter how &quot;buzzed&quot; or intoxicated you are, have a friend drive you or take a taxi home.

Dealing with law if you're caught will be the least of your troubles if you injure or kill someone.

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< I drove home a few minutes ago under the influence >>

This is just plain wrong. You obviously know this is wrong. If you can limit yourself to 7 beers, you can also limit yourself to NOT driving after you've been drinking!

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you were truely repentant, you would have driven to the Police HQ and turned yourself in.

I will not give you the pleasure of berrating you....as you are just like the rest of us!

Besides, most drivers drive exactly like they are drunk...you just fit in nicely.;)

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Give me your parents names and phone number and I'll see if i cant do something that will make you think more next time :)

CinderElmo

Jun 23, 2000
Most parents who truly care about their kids will probably be mad at first that you got intoxicated, but if you call them and say you are &quot;borderline&quot; intoxicated and &quot;just don't want to take a chance&quot; driving so could you please come get me...they should get over it pretty quickly and commend you for your responsibility. (maybe they ground you...is a week or two of grounding worth possibly saving a life (lives)?)

I don't know any parent that would rather send their kid on a &quot;gamble&quot; drive home instead of going to get them personally. Damn, at the very least you could say the car wouldn't start and you are spending the night at your friends. If they really don't want you staying they will come get you!

The mere fact that you questioned your motives for driving home means you are headed in the right direction for the next time this situation comes up. Just play it smart.

What's done is done, the question now is - are you (and others) going to learn from it???

Good luck!

PS - it helps if previous to letting them in on the fact that you drink (or might be drinking) just casually ask if they would be pissed if you called if &quot;the situation ever came up&quot; that you might need to call them for a ride home. Do it in the light of day in a nonchalant way...so they are at least aware that you are thinking of your own (and others safety).

Just my US$0.02 worth.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I remember in my HS health class, our teacher handed out a &quot;contract for life&quot; which we and out parents were supposed to sign. Basically, it said, we could call them anytime we had been drinking, and they would come get us, tuck us safly into bed, and not bring it up until morning. Of course, they could punish us however they pleased in the morning, but that wasn't stated in the contract :) Here's a link to it. Course, your parents may get the hint, but you can deny you've been drinking now. That won't be as easy if you get arrested or hurt someone.

BTW - I had three friends get caught drinking underage. Being stupid and drunk (those two go hand in hand) they were waiting for us (minor car accident kept us sober kids from meeting them, another long story) in the bowling ally parking lot when the police stopped by their car...One was over 18, the other two were both 17. The 18yr old had $750 in fines, plus a 72hr course he had to attend, which cost him another $500. The two 17 year olds were under house arrest for 30 days (over HS graduation too), lost their licenses for 6 months, with work privleges, and are on probation for the same time period. My friend's sister bought the alcohol for them, and she ended up with a weekend in jail.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
stomp

Your post kinda reminded me of the attitude a friend had when he cheated on his girlfriend and half-caringly said &quot;I'm a bastard, I know it&quot; - but he didn't care. Perhaps you'll care when you T-bone a young family next time. Bastard.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
stomp, let me know the results of your test. How many of those who kicked your a$$ here said Bush's episode was a no biggie.

Spindler

Oct 3, 2000
if we go out drinking, we all meet up at someone's house, take a taxi to the club/bar and take a taxi back and all crash the night together at that person's house.

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
While you're ripping the sh*t out of him, did anyone notice he was sorry? :|

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Sorry just is not good enough unless he is sorry enough not to do it again...By his words I have a feeling that he isn't sorry enough; perhaps I'm wrong.

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
as long as he's sorry enough to NEVER DO IT AGAIN

I just don't think this will be the case.