DREAM THREADRIPPER CONFIGURATION

wouterkcs

Feb 13, 2009
My plan is to build a DREAM Threadripper for 4K gaming, 4K video editing, photo editing, and like input what you think you like to have - what is the best -- performance, quiet, features??

1. CPU
2. Motherboard
3. RAM - ? GB, Brand, 2 or 4 channel
4. Case - Full ATX, EATX ? or mid Tower
5. PSU
6. WATER COOLING
7. GPU
8. M.2 DRIVES
9. OTHER....

Your input will help me to decide... you can be as precise (or general) as you like....incl. PCPARTPICKER ...

Thanks,

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
why are you shouting?

edit: you also might have better luck over in general hardware where these sorts of questions usually go. i can move it there if you'd like.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Look at pinned thread with the following advice - right now your question has a lot of things missing in it. video editing? what kind? it would influence your storage requirement is you have to store TBs worth of data. Gaming - what kind? what would be your monitor? what is your budget? what is included in your budget? etc

PLEASE when you POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

At the end of the day it's your money. There's only so much we can do

GoNavy1776

Jul 7, 2017
Just spend gobs of money on overkill everything. Done.

As strong as threadripper purports to be with 32 threads its not as fast in vid enc/rend as sli 1080ti. I would get 4 1080ti in SLI.

I would populate all your nvme slots with 1.2tb nvme.

Get 512GB if ECC Registered Ram if board sup.

Screw it just get an Epyc 32 core w 1tb ram. And buy a 40gbps iSCSI storage node with a few hundred TB of ....

We need to k ow specifics man. Otherwise its a moot point to make recommendations

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
It's really hard to make recommendations until things are actually shipping. Samsung 960 Pro in largest capacity you can afford for NvME. Memory, ECC or no will affect choice of RAM as well as possibly motherboard choice. I like Seasonic Prime PSUs, case is highly subjective (I like Caselabs - expensive), for water cooling you'll have to wait for CPU blocks - I expect Bitspower and EK at least, for rads there's Hardwrae Labs and EK, but you'll need to know the rest of your components before choosing how many and how big.