DRD4 Gene, effects of having an abnormal variant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
There is a lie in the OP.

The OP is supposedly a conservative.
All conservatives must not believe in evolution to be conservative. Otherwise they're RINOs.
This theory is based on gene theory which is of evolutionary biology.
Therefore he must either not believe in the findings or is not a conservative.

And is therefore a WITCH!
monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
These studies and Moonbeam's studies are all garbage. Well, maybe not the studies, but the erroneous conclusions drawn from them. At least there is one against both sides now...

You must be a conservative. What I have presented and what cybrsage presents here are scientific studies. They may be garbage to an idiot know nothing, but they remain scientific studies that can or maybe won't be backed up by other observers as is the scientific way. What cybrsage makes out of the study or what I interpret them to mean IS possibly garbage. Here is some of one of the studies:

The human protein is coded by the DRD4 on chromosome 11 located in 11p15.5.

There are slight variations (mutations/polymorphisms) in the human gene:
A 48-base pair VNTR in exon 3
C-521T in the promoter
13-base pair deletion of bases 235 to 247 in exon 1
12 base pair repeat in exon I.[3]
Val194Gly
A polymorphic tandem duplication of 120 bp

Mutations in this gene have been associated with various behavioral phenotypes, including autonomic nervous system dysfunction, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder,[4] schizophrenia,[5] and the personality trait of novelty seeking.[6]

[edit] 48-base pair VNTR

The 48-base pair VNTR in exon 3 range from 2 to 11 repeats. The frequency of the alleles varies greatly between populations, e.g., the 7-repeat version has high incidence in America and low in Asia.[7] "Long" versions of polymorphisms are the alleles with 6 to 10 repeats. 7R appears to react less strongly to dopamine molecules.[8]

The 'DRD4 long' variant, or more specifically the 7 repeat (7R), has been loosely linked to a susceptibility for developing ADHD[9] and other psychological traits and disorders.

The 48 bp VNTR has been the subject of much speculation about its evolution and role in human behaviors cross-culturally. The 7R allele appears to have been selected for about 40,000 years ago.[7] In 1999 Chen and colleagues[10] observed that populations who migrated farther in the past 30,000 to 1,000 years ago had a higher frequency of 7R/long alleles. They also showed that nomadic populations had higher frequencies of 7R alleles than sedentary ones. More recently it was observed that the health status of nomadic Ariaal men was higher if they had 7R alleles. However in recently sedentary (non-nomadic) Ariaal those with 7R alleles seemed to have slightly deteriorated health.[11]

[edit] Novelty seeking

Despite early findings of an association between the DRD4 48bp VNTR and novelty seeking (a characteristic of exploratory and excitable people),[12][13] a 2008 meta-analysis compared 36 published studies of novelty seeking and the polymorphism and found no effect. The meta-analysis of 11 studies did find that another polymorphism in the gene, the -521C/T, showed an association with novelty seeking.[14] In any case, novelty-seeking behavior is probably mediated by several genes, and the variance attributable to DRD4 by itself is not particularly large.

[edit] Cognitive development

Several studies have suggested that parenting may affect the cognitive development of children with the 7-repeat allele of DRD4.[15] Parenting that has maternal sensitivity, mindfulness, and autonomy–support at 15 months was found to children's later executive functions at 18 to 20 months.[15] Children with poorer quality parenting were more impulsive and sensation seeking than those with higher quality parenting.[15] Higher quality parenting was associated with better effortful control in 4-year-olds.[15]
-----------
In short what the science does tell us is that about a third of novelty seeking may be genetic and a half the result of nurture. If those results spill over to the defective brain problems conservatives have there is great hope a decent childhood will be able to save millions of future conservatives from the nightmare they experience today.

The studies also tell us why liberals and cities go together, namely that early exposure to different kinds of people promotes tolerance and adjustment in the modern global village, just the very thing that is driving the worlds Taliban to distraction. My dear conservative American Taliban fundamentalists substitutes, please try to keep up.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I see two articles, one of which talks about issues such as fidelity and one which talks about liberalism. It's not stated to what degree there is overlap, nor in which direction.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I see two articles, one of which talks about issues such as fidelity and one which talks about liberalism. It's not stated to what degree there is overlap, nor in which direction.

It looks like he has taken what appears to be largely discredited assumptions about a gene variation effect and used a single one of the listed probably incorrect assumptions, novelty seeking, to link it to risk taking behavior and sexual fidelity. In short he has acted like a conservative. Liberals are more open to new experience and welcome novelty more than conservatives do. Openness can be equated to risk taking. Therefore liberals are sexual experimenters and licentious. Conservatives include in their analysis of what is moral three things that liberals do not do so much, and one of them is purity, notions of religious law, taboo foods, sexual and body regulations, stoning folk who deviate, etc.

Cybrsage is trying to say that liberals are devils and should be despised. Unfortunately the demonization of others is truly despicable, but another part of conservative thinking involves entitlement and karma, the notion that moral people deserve privilege that immoral liberals don't and that immoral people remain so because they are tolerated, cuddled by liberals and not punished for their sins. This makes moral sense to them so I am happy to oblige them here. This is why I inform conservatives that they are shit. They demonize people and this is evil and they won't stop until they are beaten into the dirt for it.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Cybrsage is trying to say that liberals are devils and should be despised. Unfortunately the demonization of others is truly despicable...
This is why I inform conservatives that they are shit. They demonize people and this is evil and they won't stop until they are beaten into the dirt for it.

I'm grateful for the titanium cladding on my newest ironymeter.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Strange how drinking, gambling, and unstable marriages are a product of the south (red states), while my home state of Massachusetts has the lowest divorce rate in the country (as are most blue states)

I will never visit another red state again if i can help it. I had the unfortunate displeasure of having to visit alabama, i swear to god, half the idiots on the road are drunking idiot rednecks.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm grateful for the titanium cladding on my newest ironymeter.

I didn't think you would see it any other way. This is the whole essence of the wisdom behind walk softly but carry a big stick. You must resist evil by calling it what it is. You have to shine a light into their dirty little world. It took a world war to stop Hitler because few had the moral clarity to destroy him early. His demonization of the Jews cost more than 50 million lives. I have no time sympathy for your need for logical consistency, that demonization of demonization is some sort of logical paradox. It fucking makes sense as a matter of morality, a morality you don't seem to appreciate. Pain and punishment for those who would bring pain and punishment to others. We are not talking about physical violence here but a war of ideas speech against irrational speech. Come into the house of God and knock over some money tables with me or maybe you'd rather cut off your nuts and eat them. I love you for your objectivity and reason and your dedication to your truth, but I think your truth is not as balanced as mine. Moral probity in a society depends on carrot and stick, not one or the other.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Strange how drinking, gambling, and unstable marriages are a product of the south (red states), while my home state of Massachusetts has the lowest divorce rate in the country (as are most blue states)

I will never visit another red state again if i can help it. I had the unfortunate displeasure of having to visit alabama, i swear to god, half the idiots on the road are drunking idiot rednecks.

No no no, those are my people. I love rednecks. You seen Starman, "Looks like a roadblock up ahead." You gotta learn to blend in. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have no luck atall.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I have no time sympathy for your need for logical consistency, that demonization of demonization is some sort of logical paradox. It fucking makes sense as a matter of morality, a morality you don't seem to appreciate.

The issue isn't demonization of demonization. I actually have no problem with that.

The issue is that you engage in just plain old demonization all the time. You do the exact same things you are complaining about.

In fact, this entire thread is in some ways a parody of the comments you constantly insert into threads attempting to claim a "scientific" basis for your hatred of all things conservative.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Moonie, looks like it's time to up your meds again. Whatever the dosage is on the meds, it ain't working. What a nutcase.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

All conservatives must not believe in evolution to be conservative. Otherwise they're RINOs.

lol:D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
CharlesKozierok: The issue isn't demonization of demonization. I actually have no problem with that.

M: Yes, but where we differ is how you do that. You are welcome to preach against demonization till the cows come home and I wish you luck with that. As I said, you can't see what I am doing because your morality may lack the dimension needed to see it. My moral compass is karmic, I want to charge those who demonize others by demonizing them. No free rides, no personal irresponsibility, an eye for an eye just as they believe because they can't be reached by reason. This is what they do and why Obama is helpless against them.

C: The issue is that you engage in just plain old demonization all the time. You do the exact same things you are complaining about.

M: Yup, I'm not tied in knots by logical inconsistency. I know exactly what I am doing and why. I demonize people who demonize others. They are scum. Everybody should have learned by kindergarten that if you let people kick sand in your face, they will do it all the time.

You see the suicides in the schools, the kids who are bullied who blow away their class or put a gun to their temple. Those who cause this need to be treated like the scum of the earth. You fear hate, your own hate that you see in me, but I've spent years and years getting to know it. I don't freak myself out like I used to. I have some warm feelings now for the monster in me and I don't hate others or myself nearly as much as I used to. But I know a monster when I see one, the ignorant un-self-examined idiot who projects his own hate of the world onto others and thinks hate is somewhere out there.

C: In fact, this entire thread is in some ways a parody of the comments you constantly insert into threads attempting to claim a "scientific" basis for your hatred of all things conservative.

M: Science deals in facts, The facts are as I have presented them to the best of my understanding. Only a fool would hate facts. If, in future, you see me make claims you think are incorrect, please state your objections and I will try to provide evidence.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I've noticed a contradiction in your post. You reference the concepts of "well-adjusted" and "conservative" as if they can occur simultaneously. However data collected over the past 10 years (Boehner, Romney, Palin, Issa, Bachmann, the entirety of Fox News, ATP&N) has proven that to be impossible, or at the very least highly unlikely and statistically occurring even more rarely than in person voter fraud which is the least committed crime in this country.

There are always outliers to everything. However, the normal variant, the one liberals do not have, is also the one that well adjusted people have.

I am just reporting what science has discovered.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

Crap, outed! YOU BASTAGE!!!!11!1! And yes, I turned Gingrich into a Newt...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What exactly is that supposed to mean?

I find language to have natural traps that don't seem to correspond to any reality I can identify. For example, I know I don't know anything but I don't think that knowing it makes me know anything. I am also intolerant of intolerance and I don't give a shit when somebody says I'm intolerant. People get all wound up over these things it seems to me, and point fingers accusing me of doing the very thing I condemn, or thinking the very thing I deny, but it's all irrelevant to me. I don't care what some logician thinks. I believe that reason is a wonderful thing but that truth takes a lot more than reason to perceive. I'm not much into thinking. I feel things. And because I have felt things that I couldn't have ever believed that I felt I see things that other people can't imagine. Also even though I don't know anything, the things that I've felt about secret places within give me the impression that I have wisdom that others do not have. So I think see what is invisible to most but I still know I'm a nobody. I'm not impressed with myself and I'm always suspicious but I'm also happy. I escaped from a prison from which there is no escape. Or maybe it's more like I got a peak through the door.

I read once that 'he who tastes knows, and I think I tasted just that.

I'm not troubled by egotistical certainty or egotistical doubt. Life is a wonder to me.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

To be honest, it seems the second article suggests that the variant leads to openness to new social situations which then leads to political liberalism, not that the gene itself induces liberal ideology. Essentially, people become more liberal when exposed to more and varied social situations.. who woulda thunk it?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Unfortunately a person's virtue or lack thereof, cannot be distilled down to one gene...

Good try though...

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
The DRD4 gene is a very interesting gene. If you have the normal variant of this gene, you are a well adjusted person who also happens to tend to be conservative and will not cheat on your significant other.

However, if you have one of the abnormal variants, you tend to be a liberal or tend to cheat on your significant other. An abnormal variant also tends you make you an alcoholic or addicted to gambling.

Support:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/weird/Scientists-May-Have-IDd-Liberal-Gene-105917218.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20024414-501465.html

Now that we know the cause, we can start working on a cure.

You often seem to post in favor of the Jewish cause.
Yet now you appear just as certain nazi doctors 70 to 80 years ago.