Drawing a sky

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
When I draw a sky with a standard No. 2 pencil, it looks more like night then day. What I try doing is make the heavy shading the farthest away. I also make light but heavy shading around the area where the sun is supposed to be. Since I finger shade, some lines that get shaded look darker. I don't have a pencil sharpener around my home and I think that doing the sky with a very fine tipped pencil could really make the difference. I use finger shading on all my drawings and I don't really get the results I want. How could I shade my drawings a different way? Am I doing something wrong to the drawing? I don't know, I tried looking on google for some ideas but none ever came. I got photographs instead of pictures, something I don't really use (because I don't have a printer and my computer area is really packed with stuff. That leaves out the idea of drawing at my computer.) If there is another way to draw a sky with all of it's beauty (sunset colors + the cloud formations, clouds on an overcast day, the sky on a overcast day, a clear sky, the sun's light, etc.) Thank you.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
If you want to draw a sky, you almost have to think of it in the negative, draw the land very dark, and then make the sky just very light shadings maybe pick up a 4H pencil..

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Smartass reply: Well, duhhh, you don't use a #2 pencil - black is night. You use a blue pencil.

Helpful reply: use the image search on google, search term: drawing landscape
Worked like a charm.
here

Just search through images til you find something that works for your situation.