Draining the Swamp begins...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
What do you think he meant when he said "drain the swamp"?
He definitely didn't mean there would be 0% experienced cabinet members.

Term limits is one thing he's mentioned. He's outlined his plans for this on his site.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I believe a few members of his staff are going to jail. I don't believe there is evidence of his direct involvement, but it should shatter any chances of his ever running for President. However, to the extent that he can be useful, I would rather a Christie than a Palin find a place on Trump's cabinet.

Its not like he has a deep bench to choose from.
His staff members have admitted he knew all about it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
He definitely didn't mean there would be 0% experienced cabinet members.

Term limits is one thing he's mentioned. He's outlined his plans for this on his site.

he meant get rid of establishment politicians. instead his government will be full of them and lobbyists as well.

you really believe he is going to get term limits passed?

that's rich.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This is hilarious. Trump supporters mocking the other side for losing it. They always were losing it at the thought of Trump being president and that they knew Trump won't do a single shit he promised. Now that it has become a reality, they are merely pointing it out to the idiot supporters that they have been duped. But the Trump supporters have no recourse, have no explanation so they are just pointing and laughing that Trump haters are losing it. No - they are just, once again, saying that same thing they did before.

This guy is a liar and that he is just saying the catchy phrases to get in the office ("Build the wall", "Drain the swamp", "Make America great again"). Now is when we start to see it in front of our eyes that he won't do shit, Trump supporters have no way to defend that. The other side (people who didn't want Trump to win) already lost, now starts the long, slow and painful loss of Trump supporters when they realize that they got taken by a con man.
That's funny. Conservatives ever admitting they made a mistake? You should go on tour with that material. They still blame Bill for the 2008 recession. The real winners blame Obama for the 2008 recession.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
That's funny. Conservatives ever admitting they made a mistake? You should go on tour with that material. They still blame Bill for the 2008 recession. The real winners blame Obama for the 2008 recession.

Well you see, Obama's campaign made companies job creators nervous so they started firing people and...

Reactions: dank69

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Perhaps reminding yourself of how Trump defined "draining the swamp" is in order. What I've seen has nothing to do with who he appoints to the transition team or cabinet. That's not defending his choices but if you're going to criticize Trump for not living up to his "drain the swamp" pledge you should do so on the basis of what he actually pledged.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/trump-pledges-to-drain-the-swamp

QUOTE:

There is another major announcement I am going to make today as part of our pledge to drain the swamp in Washington. If I am elected President, I will push for a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress.

Decades of failure in Washington, and decades of special interest dealing, must come to an end. We have to break the cycle of corruption, and we have to give new voices a chance to go into government service. The time for Congressional term limits has arrived.

<snip>

It is time to drain the swamp in Washington, D.C.

That is why I am proposing a package of ethics reforms to make our government honest once again.

First: I am going to institute a 5-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government after they leave government service.

Second: I am going to ask Congress to institute its own 5-year ban on lobbying by former members of Congress and their staffs.

Third: I am going to expand the definition of lobbyist so we close all the loopholes that former government officials use by labeling themselves consultants and advisors when we all know they are lobbyists.

Fourth: I am going to issue a lifetime ban against senior executive branch officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

Fifth: I am going to ask Congress to pass a campaign finance reform that prevents registered foreign lobbyists from raising money in American elections.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Perhaps reminding yourself of how Trump defined "draining the swamp" is in order. What I've seen has nothing to do with who he appoints to the transition team or cabinet. That's not defending his choices but if you're going to criticize Trump for not living up to his "drain the swamp" pledge you should do so on the basis of what he actually pledged.

QUOTE:

There is another major announcement I am going to make today as part of our pledge to drain the swamp in Washington. If I am elected President, I will push for a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress.

Decades of failure in Washington, and decades of special interest dealing, must come to an end. We have to break the cycle of corruption, and we have to give new voices a chance to go into government service. The time for Congressional term limits has arrived.

<snip>

That is why I am proposing a package of ethics reforms to make our government honest once again.

First: I am going to institute a 5-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government after they leave government service.

Second: I am going to ask Congress to institute its own 5-year ban on lobbying by former members of Congress and their staffs.

Third: I am going to expand the definition of lobbyist so we close all the loopholes that former government officials use by labeling themselves consultants and advisors when we all know they are lobbyists.

Fourth: I am going to issue a lifetime ban against senior executive branch officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

Fifth: I am going to ask Congress to pass a campaign finance reform that prevents registered foreign lobbyists from raising money in American elections.
Sixth: I'm going to give all current lobbyists cabinet positions.

Feb 16, 2005
yea, newt gingrich, jesus christ, that bloated sack, back in power. draining the swamp, to me, meant he was going to purge it of all of the entrenched officials, bring in newer, fresher reps. His cabinet list reads likes something you'd scrape off the drain cover, rather than something you'd put in it after draining.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

QUOTE:

<snip>

and I'm going to do this by posting Beltway insiders, lobbyists and career politicians to positions of power.

I got a bridge to sell ya buddy

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
and I'm going to do this by posting Beltway insiders, lobbyists and career politicians to positions of power.

I got a bridge to sell ya buddy

The makeup of his cabinet is a valid concern but an entirely different one. Personally I don't see where something like passing term limits has any overlap whatsoever with who is in his Cabinet. For example, let's say he hires the "climate change denier" as the EPA administrator, is that somehow going to preclude him from passing term limits?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Colbert has the best line I have heard so far- It is exactly what he would expect to find at the bottom of a drained swamp.

Similarly, you don't scrape the bottom of the barrel to find the scum of the scum, you tip the barrel over and watch what crawls out from under it.

*Cue in Frank Sinatra's "I Did It My Way"

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The makeup of his cabinet is a valid concern but an entirely different one. Personally I don't see where something like passing term limits has any overlap whatsoever with who is in his Cabinet. For example, let's say he hires the "climate change denier" as the EPA administrator, is that somehow going to preclude him from passing term limits?
You are completely ignoring the spirit of his statements. They aren't ambiguous. His stated goal is clearly to get rid of the old guard. His first step is to hire the old guard.

Nov 25, 2013
You mean he's still got pieces of the wall ready for the auction block.

--
Now that I think about it, that bridge idiom should be updated to reflect the times.

It just occurred to me that I was fooled. He doesn't have multiple bridges, just one that he keeps reselling (and the rubes keep buying).

Reactions: agent00f

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
You are completely ignoring the spirit of his statements. They aren't ambiguous. His stated goal is clearly to get rid of the old guard. His first step is to hire the old guard.

Don't be silly, you're basically accusing glenn1 of being a rational thinker.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
A top tier businessman bringing in other top tier businessmen to ransack the treasury and make the middle class refill it over and over and over and over......who'da thunk?

I hate to say this, but sometime in the near future when Trump's full agenda gets exposed as being Bush&Cheney's Reach for the Riches Part Deux, the phrase "Trump's Chumps" is going to be used in a very nasty derogatory manner.

I'm just wondering how large of a tax cut Trump and his ilk will give themselves so these guys can really speed up the trickle down to us peasants.

Last edited:

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
yea, newt gingrich, jesus christ, that bloated sack, back in power. draining the swamp, to me, meant he was going to purge it of all of the entrenched officials, bring in newer, fresher reps. His cabinet list reads likes something you'd scrape off the drain cover, rather than something you'd put in it after draining.
Strawman arguments aren't a valid.

You make up what he meant by drain the swamp and hold him accountable to THAT. Hack.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
he meant get rid of establishment politicians. instead his government will be full of them and lobbyists as well.

you really believe he is going to get term limits passed?

that's rich.
He doesn't say he would get the amendment passed, he says he will push for it, I believe he will.

He didn't promise to have 100% brand new faces in his cabinet. You people are lying and blasting him based on that lie.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
This is hilarious. Trump supporters mocking the other side for losing it. They always were losing it at the thought of Trump being president and that they knew Trump won't do a single shit he promised. Now that it has become a reality, they are merely pointing it out to the idiot supporters that they have been duped. But the Trump supporters have no recourse, have no explanation so they are just pointing and laughing that Trump haters are losing it. No - they are just, once again, saying that same thing they did before.

This guy is a liar and that he is just saying the catchy phrases to get in the office ("Build the wall", "Drain the swamp", "Make America great again"). Now is when we start to see it in front of our eyes that he won't do shit, Trump supporters have no way to defend that. The other side (people who didn't want Trump to win) already lost, now starts the long, slow and painful loss of Trump supporters when they realize that they got taken by a con man.

I've mentioned that Trump's goal was always to enrich himself further like others of the ilk before, and it was interesting that I never get a counterargument to this.

So I can only conclude that as dumb as they look his supporters already know this despite whatever rationalizations to the contrary, and this vote was just an act of revenge against some bitch who has the same agenda as the successful black guy that was always rubbing it in their face, no matter the cost.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
He was an effective and tough prosecutor and a great mayor. It is unfortunate that as of late he has allowed himself to become a useful idiot, but political ambitions seem to do that to a lot of people

I've been a life time NYer (outside of college years in Western PA) and I thought he was a very effective prosecutor and mayor for NYC. Thought he did a great job.

His post-NY mayor political career has been pretty vile though. I'm very disappointed in what he has become the last 8-10 years.