Dragon Age inquisition GOTY - worth $30?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The GOTY includes a bunch of the DLC and is currently half off at both Amazon and Origin. But is it good?

I enjoyed DA:O though not as much as KOTOR, Neverwinter or Mass Effect 1. I prefer story-based RPGs to pure hack-n-slash.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I liked inquisition more then the other two,it's a mixture between the strategy fighting of part one that was too boring for me and the action only of part two that was also too boring for me.

It's worth $30 for the landscapes alone :p it's a beautiful game to just run around in... plus you get to fight dragons!
Personally I enjoyed the story although I was playing the story parts only every now and again in between the just running around enjoying the game.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
I enjoyed the game but never completed it

just be aware that there are a number of filler style MMO quests in each zone

so if you're the type of gamer that wants to do all content that's available, the game will get more monotonous due to those type of quests

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I would say for $30 including all the dlc it is a good deal as usually the dlc is $10 a piece and the decent, and trespasser(finished up the main story a bit) are fairly decent from what I heard. I have not had the chance yet to play the dlcs

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The GOTY includes a bunch of the DLC and is currently half off at both Amazon and Origin. But is it good?

I enjoyed DA:O though not as much as KOTOR, Neverwinter or Mass Effect 1. I prefer story-based RPGs to pure hack-n-slash.

I thought DA:O was as story driven as any of them, but unfortunately, DA:I is more hack and slash than prior DA games. It still has decent story, and good cut scenes, but they turned most of the combat areas into sandbox areas.

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
I really enjoyed DA:I. I bought the base game for $25 so I am sure the GOTY edition for $30 would be a good deal. I would advise you to not do all the sidequests at some are typical MMO fetch quests. I did the main quest and the main hub in each section.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It's definitely worth $30, especially with the DLCs. I bought it full price (prior to DLCs, on release day) and at the time I already thought that it was worth its price. And, indeed, the landscape / scenery alone is superb.

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I personally would jump on it, but I'm not certain the OP will like the changes in the latest DA game.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
With EA games, give it a few more months and it will be down to $15. If you aren't super hot about playing it right this minute, then give it some more time. I liked the gameon PS4, but didn't beat it. I'm waiting for a good deal on the GOTY edition for PC for the graphics. $30 isn't doing it for me.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The DLC isn't on the disc, you have to plug in a code and download it to diminish its resale value. I can get past that. What bugs me is that the DLC modifies the game so that it won't work the moment you don't have an online connection coursing through the PS4 for "check ins". The vanilla copy can be played offline with no hassle.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
fantastic game at that price. A little more actiony than DA:O, but it is solid

Aug 11, 2008
The graphics were very good, but the game just never drew me in like DA:O or the kotor/neverwinter nights games. Somehow, it just seemed like something was missing. Thirty dollars is decent with the DLC, but it seems a bit expensive.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
More hack and slashy than Origins for sure, so that should give you a reason to pause, but is $30 something you might feel super disappointed about potentially losing?

I enjoyed it lots and spent nearly 300hrs on just the base single player game...

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
The DLC isn't on the disc, you have to plug in a code and download it to diminish its resale value. I can get past that. What bugs me is that the DLC modifies the game so that it won't work the moment you don't have an online connection coursing through the PS4 for "check ins". The vanilla copy can be played offline with no hassle.

This is in the PC section so the changes to the PS4 version are irrelevant.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah i enjoyed it, just don't get bogged down on the first map. The DLC"s are pretty good as well. Jaws of Hakkon was pretty good and I heard Tresspasser is good although i haven't played it yet

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I didn't like the "twitchization" they did for this game, so I'm waiting until it drops to like $5 to play it. Dragon Age Origins was great, Dragon Age 2 was ok (except for the repeated maps and paratrooping mobs), but this one I'm not really excited about.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I got burnt out on it. I did not like the war table mechanic and, while I know it's an idiotic complaint, the game was just too big for my taste. I kept getting bogged down with all kinds of stuff (ending up in all corners of these giant areas) and lost track of the main story, so got bored an stopped playing. I also did not like the characters as much as I did in previous games. No real desire to go back at this point.

KT

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
In my personal opinion this game was just lacking something. Not sure if it was the iffy controls, or the horrible story, console like inventory system or the horrible combat but something really really turned me off. Anyway, I played it for about 5 hours and never touched it since.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I played on console and it seemed to me they tried too hard to split the difference between action and tactical combat and ended up with a stilted mash up. The tactical combat didn't feel as deep as DA:O and the action combat was clunky. If it had Divinity Original Sin combat then it'd be one of the best tactical RPGs ever.