Dragon Age has Day One Paid DLC

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Are people honestly bitching about this? I'm 15 hours into the game now, and out of the 3 treaties I have to get, I only got one so far, from the Dalish. There's 2 more I need to get, and I've only discovered 30&#37; of the land. This game will easily give 50 hours of play time, yet people bitch about DLC, because Bioware also could have put it in there for free?

Sure Bioware could have, they also could have made the game 5 times longer and have given us 250 hours of playtime instead of a measly 50 hours. What are they thinking, right?

Also, I've yet to test, but afaik playing as a dwarf or elf commoner will give a different storyline then playing as a human magi (which I am now). This will increase playtime even more.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Maybe when I was younger and broke things would have been different, I'd have gotten the $39.99 version and no DLC then. But I'm a little older now and I'm not gonna sweat the $67 I spent on CE + DLC. I do understand why some people won't purchase it just on principle alone, I get it. But for a "sequel" to Baldur's Gate there's almost no price that's too high. $99 would not have stopped me from purchasing...

For what it's worth, I completed the Warden's Keep quest first thing after reaching camp and I thought it was fun as hell. Some good fights to be had, though mostly at the start. The crazy mage was neat and offered some interesting choices to be made, and the Keep had some nice atmosphere. Maybe it's just me but I love snowy fortresses with a sordid past and this fit the bill. It wasn't worth $7 but again, for a quality game like DAO that's not an issue to me. I'm all in regardless.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I don't mind paid dlc. It is kind of bullshit knowing that they had extra content finished and ready to go that could have been in the game to begin with though.

For a single player game it's not that bad. But if it where for a multiplayer game.. like an mmo.. where half of the players have an unfair advantage because they paid for dlc then I'm pissed. I don't want to feel 'forced' to pay for additional content to keep a competitive edge with other players.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
But for a "sequel" to Baldur's Gate there's almost no price that's too high. $99 would not have stopped me from purchasing...

the american mantra- don't let money get in the way of something you want.

hearing someone say they'd pay $100 for a copy of a game disc seriously makes me sick. just hang a big neon 'open' sign over your butt.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
the american mantra- don't let money get in the way of something you want.

hearing someone say they'd pay $100 for a copy of a game disc seriously makes me sick. just hang a big neon 'open' sign over your butt.

Some people pay millions for a car. It's none of your business what people will pay for things, it's how capitalism works.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I find it funny that some people here think game development on this scale is as simple as continuously cramming in content before going gold the next day and releasing a few days later. There is much, much more to it than that. Here is a quote from a Bioware dev busting the Warden's Keep myth:

No, we most definitely could not "quite easily throw Warden's Keep onto the discs at this point in time." The content of the game was pretty much locked down in the spring, with the time between then and now spent polishing, optimizing, and bug-fixing. Time was also spent making sure that Warden's Keep content didn't break anything in the base game. The content of the discs was finalized and locked down. At this point, the game was given over to localization to ensure that all the different language versions were completed.

Once that was done, the final game was sent off for publisher and hardware certification, a lengthy and involved process where any big failure means fixing a bug and restarting the entire process from scratch.

If anything is added to the disc at this point, we would have to go through not only a few weeks of testing time, but perhaps a few weeks of localization as well, and definitely another month or two of re-certification. This does not include the amount of time needed to get all the content on the disc re-rated by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board. These are not arbitrary decisions, and DLC is not base game content removed only to re-introduce it for money later. DLC is bonus content that is not required in order to finish the game. There is no magic "make it so" button.

If after reading that you still believe it was pulled to make money, then I don't what else to say to you. Keep bitching & whining and continue to delude yourself into believing in the conspiracies. While you do, those of us with a brain will enjoy the game and the additional content that would have never been finalized and released if it weren't for the dlc system.

Edit: Here is the source for that quote.

Last edited:

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
Some people pay millions for a car. It's none of your business what people will pay for things, it's how capitalism works.

you're right, it's not my business, as i have neither the money nor the interest in italian supercars or barrett jackson auctions.

i do, however, play video games, so yes, large economic shifts in the gaming industry based on public stupidity are indeed my business.

Last edited:

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I lied when I said I'd pay $99 for DAO, I'd easily pay more. How about $120? In a heartbeat. But only for a game like DAO that I know will deliver an absolute ton of content and gameplay to sink my teeth into. As the spiritual successor to one of the greatest games of all-time, I was sold at any price because I'll still get my money's worth no matter what.

On the other hand, I wouldn't spend more than $20 for almost all of the other big releases this year. Madden '10 for Xbox360? No thanks at $60. Halo 3 ODST for $60? Um, no. COD4:MW2 is a tough one because it'll be great, but 8-10 hours of awesomeness still isn't worth $60 to me, and I'm not interested in COD multiplayer anymore.

But a Baldur's Gate 2 successor for $67? In a heartbeat. For the number of hours of gameplay I'll get out of it, I win big time at that price point.

Last edited:

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
i hate to bump this stupid thread again, but i just want to say duly noted.

i have a feeling this game is not for me- i'm more a fan of kotor, jade empire, and mass effect. BG and NWN never really interested me. but i can see why you'd be willing to pay more than $50-60, the game's probably great if you're looking for a successor to BG.

my objection was never really with the game but with the example it set. i'm not mad at you, i'm mad at people who simply have an attitude of 'i want this game, charge me as much as you want' (especially with regurgitated crap like halo and madden, for sure). as soon as one company figures out they can charge more than the going rate for something and people will still line up for it, everyone will want to charge the same. i don't want to have to be even poorer than i am because of inflation based around consumer gullibility.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
as soon as one company figures out they can charge more than the going rate for something and people will still line up for it, everyone will want to charge the same. i don't want to have to be even poorer than i am because of inflation based around consumer gullibility.
Honestly, I think you're looking at this backwards because you're not considering product quality in the discussion. Companies SHOULD figure out that they can charge more for a really great product (DAO) with a ton of content then they can for a mediocre product. To put it another way, uniform pricing is bad for both the consumer and the supplier. Any transaction is a positive gain in utility to both parties and uniform pricing reduces the number of transactions and therefore the total utility in the system.

The best thing that could happen to gaming would be gamers lowering the amount they are willing to pay for low quality IP titles such as The Force Unleashed and raising the amount they are willing to pay for really well done games like Uncharted 2.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
I lied when I said I'd pay $99 for DAO, I'd easily pay more. How about $120? In a heartbeat. But only for a game like DAO that I know will deliver an absolute ton of content and gameplay to sink my teeth into. As the spiritual successor to one of the greatest games of all-time, I was sold at any price because I'll still get my money's worth no matter what.

On the other hand, I wouldn't spend more than $20 for almost all of the other big releases this year. Madden '10 for Xbox360? No thanks at $60. Halo 3 ODST for $60? Um, no. COD4:MW2 is a tough one because it'll be great, but 8-10 hours of awesomeness still isn't worth $60 to me, and I'm not interested in COD multiplayer anymore.

But a Baldur's Gate 2 successor for $67? In a heartbeat. For the number of hours of gameplay I'll get out of it, I win big time at that price point.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, and I never played BG/BG2. With two play-throughs I'll likely have put 120+ hours into the game - more than worth the price of admission.
I've enjoyed all of my 20 hours so far :p.
That's not to say I'd pay literally anything, but for a superior product you'd naturally be expected to pay more. This isn't generally how gaming works - better-reviewed games don't necessarily cost more - but I've spent $57+tax for all content in this game (-$10 Amazon game credit). This is hardly outlandish.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
This pretty much seals the deal: I'll pass on Dragon Age until next year when they release a GotY edition.

Same, but I was going to wait anyways, despite this being the next big game for me. I still have The Witcher and the 2nd expansion pack of NWN2 to play. I just finished Mass Effect, going to play through PlaneScape: Torment again, this time with the high resolution mod.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
This game is soooo good, you guys are missing out! But I hear ya, it's a lot of money for the DLC, I had to save up for months to make sure I could get it.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Why the hell has my game not come in yet?

It shipped Nov 1st, so I thought it would be here by now..

The tracking hasn't had an update since the day it shipped D:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Although I don't mind DLC, it's annoying thinking that a GoTY edition will be around the corner 9-12 months later with all the DLC FOR FREE!

It used to be that the GoTY editions included the original edition, expansions, and sometimes fan content (like new armors, mods, etc) but if you bought the original editions and expansions along the way, you had the same functionality. Now, your original game is almost inferior to the versions released, because you don't the DLC included.

DLC is OK, but some of the DLC is $7 for an hour or quest, and that seems a little silly to me. I would pay up to $20 for some serious added content, but not just for a few extra quests/items.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Why the hell has my game not come in yet?

It shipped Nov 1st, so I thought it would be here by now..

The tracking hasn't had an update since the day it shipped D:

I mugged the UPS guy and ate your package. It was delicious.

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Although I don't mind DLC, it's annoying thinking that a GoTY edition will be around the corner 9-12 months later with all the DLC FOR FREE!
Notably, if Bioware is actually legit on the "we're gonna keep releasing DLC for two years" thing, that might not be the case.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006

It used to be that the GoTY editions included the original edition, expansions, and sometimes fan content (like new armors, mods, etc) but if you bought the original editions and expansions along the way, you had the same functionality. Now, your original game is almost inferior to the versions released, because you don't the DLC included.

DLC is OK, but some of the DLC is $7 for an hour or quest, and that seems a little silly to me. I would pay up to $20 for some serious added content, but not just for a few extra quests/items.

The Dragon Age DLC -edit- isn't -edit- all it's cracked up to be. None of the current DLC is game changing or adds anything of importance to the story. Aside from a place to store your massive hord of useless junk, if you never used any of the DLC you would never want for it.

Last edited:

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
In another lifetime, I did pay $80 for Final Fantasy 3 for the Super Nintendo, and that game was WELL worth it. I still have very fond nostalgic memories of it. Hell, I think I have one or two orchestrated music tracks on my mp3 player.

So why do I feel as though I'm being cheated by paying $65 for DAO? I've long realized that as a PC gamer who dates back to the good old X-Com and Tie Fighter days of gaming, I think I'm naturally spiteful and distrusting of ANY game that is a cross-platform release...

The weird matchmaking services, the odd "points for DLC that would be free on a PC", the lack of depth or complexity to game storylines; all the swill that that console users lap up gleefully from horrible publishers like EA... I just can't do it and it's made me despise the modern gaming industry. I see that shit for what it is, and I can't blame the consolers, because they were never exposed to the glory days of PC gaming.

Edit: Note that I did purchase DAO for $65 off Steam, and I'm enjoying the first few hours I've put into it. Still, time will tell if it's really a good game, or lacks the depth it boasts it has (Decisions really matter!).

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I too remember buying Final Fantasy 3 for $77 back when it was released and it was worth every penny. Loved. That. Game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
what defines if a game is 'worth the cost?'

what if half the content was removed to be used as DLC? if the game was still good, you wouldn't care, just because you didn't know what you were missing?

ignorance truly is bliss, i guess.
Well, the only way to not be ignorant is to buy it. Then you still have to pray you like it, cuz if you dont, you are fucked. No fun and no money.
When it comes to modern gaming I'd rather stay ignorant of how much a title sucks ass and instead keep my money.
I want assloads of reviews not only from professional review sites, but tons of gamers as well. And since theres always plenty of fools willing to shell out 50-60 bucks on release day, thats never been a problem.

As for me: I will wait a year or so until theres a gold edition or whatever. Or maybe if they have it 1/2 price on STEAM.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
I'm glad someone brought up the price of games back in the day, I totally forgot about that. How do people EVER complain about prices when over 10 years ago we paid $100 for Earthbound for SNES.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm glad someone brought up the price of games back in the day, I totally forgot about that. How do people EVER complain about prices when over 10 years ago we paid $100 for Earthbound for SNES.
WE did not pay 100 dollars, YOU did. Quit lumping me in with your stupidity.

I must have had special pricing in Minnesota or something but I only paid 25-35 dollars on average for a NES game. The one notable exception was Dragon Warrior 4 at $40 and that price only lasted a few months during initial high-volume sales.

For the SNES, average was 35-45. With ONE notable exception, Final Fantasy 2 at $75. Again that was only for the first few months and prices came down quickly. Final Fantasy 3? Forty-five fucking dollars.

All you idiots who paid 100 bucks for ANY game were fucking raped. I dont know how the rest of the country could possibly have been paying so much for games back then, but I sure as hell did not.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

I didn't pay that much, and the vast majority of games were far less.