Dr. Laura?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SexEPid

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2000

<< yeah cuz shes so for homosexuality. /end sarcasm >>

eakers- I wouldn't be surprised if she was.

Pid, TYRP

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
SexEPid - Dr. Laura lost many advertisers because she made Pat Robertson-like comments on her TV show about gays.

SexEPid

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2000
Sorry
Guess I should read the facts before posting. :eek:

Thanks for the correction.

Pid, TYRP

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
She is a total nut-job. I too am amazed that she has established such a large fan base.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
While I sometimes disagree with her abrasive style on the radio some of the things she says make sense.

Why do some of the people who call her have to be told that screwing around with married women/men is wrong?

Why do some of the young women who have babies need to be told that the child comes first?

Why do men who have fathered children need to be told that the child is their responsibilty?

Why do women need to be told that having a drunk, abusive, husband in the house isn't good for the kids or themselves?

I think it's because we as a society have forgotten our moral center. For too long we've been told, and tell our children that it's OK to do whatever we want as long as we feel good about it. We've become a very selfish society. If we stopped and thought about what effect our actions had on others before doing something irresponsible or destructive maybe Dr. Laura wouldn't have an audience.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999

<< How the hell did she become syndicated? Do people like abuse? >>

Russ... you'll find your answer on the Jerry Springer show:Q

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
GirlFriday, All I know about her is that she is very critical of other people, always telling them about their morals and actions. It was kind of interesting when they got those pictures of her romping with a married man.

I almost puked when I saw those nude images in an email. Yuck... :disgust:

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I can't stand her. Funny thing was...I was in Hallmark the other day buying a card for my girlfriend. Before paying, my eye caught a picture of Dr. Laura. When I turned back, there was a display with like her book or a calendar or something. I just said &quot;Holy Sh!t,&quot; and three older women gave me the look. I thought Hallmark was supposed to be a caring place. Dr Laura???

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
heard that half the channels that synd her show pushed it to the killer midnight slot or somthing, too bad for her,

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
She gives conservatism a bad name - I'm afraid any good in her message is lost in a sea of stupid, vituperous attacks, nonsense, and hypocrisy.
For those of us with a conservative viewpoint, the saying &quot;With friends like these...&quot; comes to mind.

BTW - did anyone see the &quot;West Wing&quot; rip on a fictional Dr. Laura clone? Funny stuff...

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000

IMO, conservatism has been getting a bad rap for some time.

At one time I was a Rush fan (not the band), when I realized that his reality was way to narrow. And that people who need absolutes in their life flocked to him and the Republican party. As time passed, I realized that there are few absolutes in life, and that pushed me farther to the left.

But Newt, Rush, Laura... In the end they cast a bad light on the Repubs. Though perhaps funny/entertaining, they often border on the offensive, and therefore push more people away than rally them to the Repubs banner.

Not to mention that all three are gross hypocrites. The repubs would do better with moe, larry, and curly advocating their positions rather than those three wannabees.

But I also can't stand leftist commentators either. I'm rather for impartiality, and that can only come by doing your own research, and not for trusting what you see/hear/read from one source.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
DaBoneHead - both sides have their own set of nutjobs :)
But right now being liberal is more &quot;hip&quot;, thanks to the media. Ah well...

As someone who wrote a research paper on the censorship issue and the media, I was just amazed to see the exact same artists and media personalities that had lead the fight against the Gores (esp. Tipper), now slapping Gore 2000 stickers on everything...

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Red - is good old H8tank even still around? I haven't read one of his tirades in a long time...

Your right - it fits, though. :D

kassy

Sep 13, 2000

<< It was kind of interesting when they got those pictures of her romping with a married man >>

haha, when someone puts themselves up on a moral pedestal their pompous self-righteous a$$ usually gets shafted by the same pedastal they preach from.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's amusing to see critics of Dr. Laura with little grasp of the facts. If it makes you feel good to bash someone based on misinformation and blatant inaccuracy, feel free. At least acknowledge that it makes you appear quite stupid, however. I suspect most people posting here have listened to at most five minutes of her show.

She has been forthright about her past, but she is equally open about the fact that her past no longer reflects her current beliefs. If anything, it makes her a tad more credible since she has some experience to draw on -- in effect, &quot;she's been there&quot; and realizes now why it was wrong. She also had a profound religious conversion a few years back and is not even remotely the person she was in the nude photos.

As for her degree, who cares (it's in physiology, BTW)? The advice she dispenses is based on common sense morality and Judeo-Christian religious thought, not psychological theory that tends to encourage such wonderful practices as dispensing ritalin to children who &quot;act out&quot;, as if children haven't done that since the beginning of time. If you listen to what she says, it's patently obvious where she's coming from, and it's not her post-graduate work.

Tiger hit it squarely on the head. Dr. Laura says the things that are so painfully obvious about the way people are living these days. If more people subscribed to what she says, then our &quot;moral decline&quot; in this country would not be nearly as steep as it is. Since when is it a mystery that the most important aspect of your life is your child if you are a parent? Dr. Laura's emphasis, above all by far, is on children and their well-being and proper upbringing. However, given the state of youth and the family in this country, that's a tremendously radical point of view, sadly enough.

One point I find interesting is that people tend to critisize her for taking others to task for their actions. Excuse me, that's why they call. Only an absolute moron would fail to realize that they risk being told the brutal truth by Dr. Laura when they call to ask if they should dump their girlfriend because she just slept with the entire town. Further, I applaud Dr. Laura for stating how she sees the situation instead of the namby pamby feel-good crap that comes from the psychological community on dealing with such situations. There are certain actions which are wrong, like it or not. At least someone is actually saying so.

I don't agree with all of her positions and haven't listened to her recently. She is also fallible and doesn't claim to be anything but. She is fairly consistent, however, and has the courage to voice her convictions.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Although i agree with many of her views on morals, parenting, and personal responsibility i can't stand to listen to her. She is one cold hearted bitch. People call her that are in obvious emotional distress and she just rips them a new one. Granted they may be doing it to themselves but you would think that she could be a bit more compassionate in pointing that out to them.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Well, I think I'd do a MUCH better job than she does...

And when the nude pictures of me come out, I'll just laugh and say &quot;So?&quot;

Anyone know a good agent?

;)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< only falling on deaf ears >>

Trust me, Red -- I have no illusions about your deaf ears. :D

Also, keep in mind that her format leaves her little choice but to cut to the chase rather than taking a &quot;let's all hold hands and cry&quot; sort of approach with her callers. Plus, you really do have to be quite a moron not to expect it from her. Her delivery doesn't subvert the accuracy of the message, however. Perhaps that's what these people need, a swift kick in the ass -- after all, they volunteer for it.