dpreview.com review of the Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT/ Kiss n Digital is up.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
You laugh but its an arms race.

I buy expensive DSLR, she buys more expensive handbag, etc. etc.

No one really wins but the arms dealers.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
You laugh but its an arms race.

I buy expensive DSLR, she buys more expensive handbag, etc. etc.

No one really wins but the arms dealers.

:laugh:MAO!!!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: dartworth
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: CheapArse
Originally posted by: Staples
Damn it!

Dear Valued Customer,
We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order xxxxxxxx and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 05-05-2005.

I have a feeling they knew this a while ago since Cheap Arse got that ETA date a week ago.

Yea...with SO many orders for the black XT im thinking even the 5th might be pushed back. IMO its worth it b/c the black body is just dead sexy.

I just picked up my 28-135 IS from JulesMaximus this afternoon...it looks beautiful...can't wait to plop it on the XT and start shooting.

:thumbsup:

B&H Photo has the black XT back in stock now. I was thinking of upgrading recently but decided to get a super wide angle L series lens rather than buy the new camera (which is why I sold the 28-135).

Did you end up getting the Canon 17-40L?

Samples?

Yes, I did get the 17-40 f/4 L. I've shot a bunch of pics but most of them are of my son. He wasn't feeling well this weekend though so I haven't been playing with it much.

Alternex

Oct 9, 1999
What would be a good lens to walk around with for this camera? w/o tripod

That's a loaded question.... dpreview forums would be better than AT for that.

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Alternex

Well, I just bought a 28-135 IS...heavier than I expected but I can't wait to use it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Where did you buy it?

Local camera store. I got them to come down $50 and they didn't charge me tax so it was actually not too much more than B&H Photo prices.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I hope the camera ships on the 25th like Dell says the ETA is. Ordered a few weeks ago. I didn't get the 18-55mm cheap ass lens with it but I ordered some other ones from B&H and they came in today. Hopefully it ships out of Austin so I will get it the next day since I am so close.

which lenses did you go with?

The Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 and the Canon 35mm F/2.0 (everyone seems to be getting the cheap 50mm F/1.8 but the build quality is supposed to be terrible). I need a long zoom in the future. I think I may just get theCanon 70-200 F4 L since it really isn't that expensive. We'll see, I could not afford it anyway right now.

I'm curious, what you think of that lens. I have a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 lens but I don't like it. First of all, when using it at the 70mm end with the on camera flash the lens is so big it casts a shadow into the frame of the picture even with the digital 1.6x crop factor. Perhaps a flash that sits up a little higher would be okay, certainly a hotshoe flash would be fine, but that coupled with the fact that the lens is so large (82mm filters) and heavy made me decide to unload it.

It's going on ebay next week...which is where I bought it coincidentally. The autofocus is also slower and noisier than the Canon USM lenses and when zooming out it binds a bit.
Well my disclaimer is that I don't have the camera yet and this will be my first SLR. I read a host of great reviews on it, some even compare it to the L series when stopped down to F4.0. Glare is also supposed to be very low compared to other lens. I have not used it yet since I do not have a camera to go a long with it but I am sure I will love it. It came down to this lens or the 17-85 IS for $600 but I finally just decided that the price on this lens was just a better deal. I compromised wide angle for it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I hope the camera ships on the 25th like Dell says the ETA is. Ordered a few weeks ago. I didn't get the 18-55mm cheap ass lens with it but I ordered some other ones from B&H and they came in today. Hopefully it ships out of Austin so I will get it the next day since I am so close.

The Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 and the Canon 35mm F/2.0 (everyone seems to be getting the cheap 50mm F/1.8 but the build quality is supposed to be terrible). I need a long zoom in the future. I think I may just get theCanon 70-200 F4 L since it really isn't that expensive. We'll see, I could not afford it anyway right now.

I'm curious, what you think of that lens. I have a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 lens but I don't like it. First of all, when using it at the 70mm end with the on camera flash the lens is so big it casts a shadow into the frame of the picture even with the digital 1.6x crop factor. Perhaps a flash that sits up a little higher would be okay, certainly a hotshoe flash would be fine, but that coupled with the fact that the lens is so large (82mm filters) and heavy made me decide to unload it.

It's going on ebay next week...which is where I bought it coincidentally. The autofocus is also slower and noisier than the Canon USM lenses and when zooming out it binds a bit.

the reason there is a shadow as you suspect is because teh flash isnt high enough, it happens with a lot of lenses, hell it happens with the D70 and kit lens

DeafeningSilence

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2002

I love the Tamron! Unfortunately I had to send mine back because there was a black piece of debris inside the glass... and the place I bought it from is now out of stock. Even with the defect, however, the picture quality was awesome -- equal to or better than my Canon 70-200 f/4L.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Well, I just bought a 28-135 IS...heavier than I expected but I can't wait to use it.

uhh nice, thinking about getting that one as well since I find the kit lense to be mostly useless, need more reach

btw, how large is it compared to the kit lense?

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Czar

uhh nice, thinking about getting that one as well since I find the kit lense to be mostly useless, need more reach

btw, how large is it compared to the kit lense?

Not that much bigger than the kit lens...just a little bit longer and it has a larger diameter. For those looking for a bag, my local circuitcity had a "SLR Kit" on clearance. It was intended for film SLRs b/c it comes with 3 rolls of film, a mini tripod, a lens cleaning kit and the Canon Gaget Bag 2200. For $20...its worth it for the bag alone.

Dec 4, 2002
Ouch! reading over at FW...some people have a ship date of 6/12/05 :Q:Q:Q

you get yours yet CA?

nope :( They tell me it should ship by the 5th of May...but I have a feeling they will be pushing it back. :|

Dec 4, 2002
Well, its the 4th....should be shipping tomorrow. If it does, I probably won't get it until Monday. No emails yet about delays...keeping my fingers crossed. Im so freakin excited though!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Well, its the 4th....should be shipping tomorrow. If it does, I probably won't get it until Monday. No emails yet about delays...keeping my fingers crossed. Im so freakin excited though!

What did you pay for it from Dell if you don't mind my asking?

Edit-I carried my camera around all day at the San Diego Zoo on Saturday. It felt a little heavy to me at times and I switched shoulders frequently. Might have to look into getting a more comfortable strap for it. That would make a huge difference.

I took some nice pictures but I really wish I brought the 70-200mm lens. That would have been a better choice, I didn't realize the animals would look so far away on my pics. Oh well, lesson learned. I had never been to the San Diego Zoo before.

Dec 4, 2002

What did you pay for it from Dell if you don't mind my asking?

Edit-I carried my camera around all day at the San Diego Zoo on Saturday. It felt a little heavy to me at times and I switched shoulders frequently. Might have to look into getting a more comfortable strap for it. That would make a huge difference.

I took some nice pictures but I really wish I brought the 70-200mm lens. That would have been a better choice, I didn't realize the animals would look so far away on my pics. Oh well, lesson learned. I had never been to the San Diego Zoo before.

I love the SD Zoo...been several times. I paid $707 from Dell including tax & shipping....thus the reason I don't mind the wait. ;)

Post any of your zoo pics?

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Oh yay,

We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order xxxxxxz and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 05-12-2005.
Please be aware that due to Federal Trade Commission rules, we must have your consent to continue with the order despite the delay.

Anyone else get this notice? This delay will bring the order to a month.

Dec 4, 2002
Oh yay,

We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order xxxxxxz and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 05-12-2005.
Please be aware that due to Federal Trade Commission rules, we must have your consent to continue with the order despite the delay.

not yet...mine still says the 5th...fingers are still crossed. My beautiful 28-135 is just sitting here all lonely... :(

;)

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Oh yay,

not yet...mine still says the 5th...fingers are still crossed. My beautiful 28-135 is just sitting here all lonely... :(

;)

Where do your Dell orders usually ship from? Any idea? You ordered after me still you may get it before I get mine. I wonder if you ordered from a warehouse which didn't get so many orders as the Austin warehouse.

Dec 4, 2002
Oh yay,

;)

Where do your Dell orders usually ship from? Any idea? You ordered after me still you may get it before I get mine. I wonder if you ordered from a warehouse which didn't get so many orders as the Austin warehouse.

Pretty sure all of mine come from TX. They don't drop ship so Its not coming from Canon.

Dec 4, 2002
Oh man, reading over at FW...some people who ordered mid April are getting delayed until June...

Also, Staples, from what I read...if you don't reply to that email they will auto cancel your order.

I guess my fate will be decided by tomorrow...ill either get a shipped confirm email or a delay email.