DPC latency with Geforce 10x0 series?

casiofx

Mar 24, 2015
This is the most serious issue for 10x0 series. If nvidia can't fixed this then 10x0 is finished.

So fourth flaw of pascal geforces, man nvidia really rushed this out.

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
So this is the fourth "design problem" then ?

Third design flaw

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics...-work-htc-vive/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium

In another tale of hardware not quite working as expected, there are reports that the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 Display Port doesn't work with the HTC Vive virtual reality headset. Nvidia markets both the GTX 1080 and 1070 as offering "innovative new gaming technologies and breakthrough VR experiences," so to have this compatibility problem exist, with the best selling PC HMD, seems like a bit of a blunder.

Second design flaw

https://www.techpowerup.com/223669/geforce-gtx-pascal-faces-high-dvi-pixel-clock-booting-problems

The second design flaw to hit the GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 after the fan revving bug, isn't confined to the reference "Founders Edition" cards, but affects all GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 cards. Users of monitors with dual-link DVI connectors are noticing problems in booting to Windows with pixel clocks set higher than 330 MHz. You can boot to windows at default pixel clocks, and when booted, set the refresh-rates (and conversely pixel clocks) higher than 330 MHz, and the display works fine, it's just that you can't boot with those settings, and will have to revert to default settings each time you shut down or restart your machine.

A user of a custom-design GTX 1070 notes that if the refresh rate of their 1440p monitor is set higher than 81 Hz (the highest refresh rate you can achieve with pixel clock staying under 330 MHz) and the resolution at 2560 x 1440, the machine doesn't correctly boot into Windows. The splash screen is replaced with flash color screens, and nothing beyond. The system BIOS screen appears correctly (because it runs at low resolutions). The problem is also said to be observed on a custom-design GTX 1080, and has been replicated by other users on the GeForce Forums.

First design flaw

https://www.techpowerup.com/222895/...edition-owners-complain-of-fan-revving-issues

VIDIA's decision to sell its reference-design GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card at a $100 premium over the SKU's MSRP of $599, is beginning develop cracks, with early adopters complaining of erratic default fan behavior. The GTX 1080 Founders Edition graphics card features NVIDIA's reference lateral-blower-type cooler, which didn't exactly blow us away, in our review of the card. Customers across the forumscape, including on NVIDIA's own GeForce Forums, are complaining of an issue where the fan of the cooler has a mind of its own, and revs up from 2,000 RPM to 3,000 RPM intermittently, and drops back to its idle speed. This, users complain, is particularly annoying if you're not gaming.

The users observe that these sudden and unpredictable spikes in fan-speed are not in response to rising GPU temperatures or clock speeds. Sudden variations in fan-speed are worse than gradual variations in response to legitimate triggers, as it also means sudden changes in noise, which is distracting. Users also observe that you can't even use third-party software (eg: EVGA Precision) to stabilize or override the fan-behavior, as the speed-spikes don't respect custom settings.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
This most likely is a driver issue, trying to hog as much resources as possible to squeeze a few extra frames out.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Oh boy, I'll take a look nao

OK I checked mine, I don't see any problems, it idles at 50 to 80 and stays around there in games and heaven benchmark peaking at times but never going over 500. Also I have a Gsync display.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

OK I checked mine, I don't see any problems, it idles at 50 to 80 and stays around there in games and heaven benchmark peaking at times but never going over 500. Also I have a Gsync display.

Are you running Win7?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
According to the GeForce forum thread this doesn't affect all (seemingly most) users but Nvidia is aware of the issue and is working on a fix.

"Thank you. No need to submit further survey feedbacks on this issue. We believe we understand the root cause and will provide a fix through a future driver. At this time I do not have an ETA but as soon as I have further information, I will share with everyone."

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
So this is the fourth "design problem" then ?
Funny how minor driver issues (not affecting all) are suddenly big "design problems" and are diligently added to lists as if pushing some form of agenda

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=38339620&highlight=#post38339620.

"Pretty funny these shortcomings don't get more press.."

Maybe because they do not affect all or in rare situations (raising pixel clocks on overclockable 1440p monitors). The overall user experience on Pascal so far has been positive and in virtually all reviews. Are design flaws for Nvidia while for AMD they are "teething problems"?

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Funny how minor driver issues (not affecting all) are suddenly big "design problems" and are diligently added to lists as if pushing some form of agenda

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=38339620&highlight=#post38339620.

"Pretty funny these shortcomings don't get more press.."

Maybe because they do not affect all or in rare situations (raising pixel clocks on overclockable 1440p monitors). The overall user experience on Pascal so far has been positive and in virtually all reviews. Are design flaws for Nvidia while for AMD they are "teething problems"?

Are we not supposed to keep count? Why not?

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005

Thanks for the feedback, do you mind listing your complete hardware specs? Hopefully other owners will report back.

I don't want to start a flame war here. I actually have a Zotac Amp Extreme 1070 on the way so I'm just trying to get as much info as possible. It was an impulse buy so I'm looking at reasons to refuse the delivery of the product :) $700 CAD (after taxes) is a lot to spend on a card with potential problems. I'm already miffed about the Vive issue.

I think I counted at least 10 people in that Geforce thread (probably more?) that are reporting the issue but it's hard to gauge how widespread the issue is. That's why I'm asking here as we have a lot of Nvidia and AMD fans.

It's cool an Nvidia rep was able to reproduce the bug. The issue looks to be with overly aggressive power savings so I'm curious how they'll fix it without negatively impacting the power usage of the card.

If anyone else can report in please do so. The more info the better.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Are we not supposed to keep count? Why not?

Its fine to count, so long as it isnt used to forward ones agenda. Which I guess would be ro discourage Nvidia sales because bugs are now, get this, design flaws.
Kinda sick.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Issue confirmed on my end with a GTX 1070 and latest drivers.

4790k @4.6GHz
Z97X-UD5H
Corsair H100i
16GB DDR3-1866
2x500GB SSD's
Zotac GTX 1070 Amp
EVGA Supernova 750w
Win 10 Pro x64

Although my cpu is overclocked all energy savings are enabled. My cpu throttles down both clockspeed and voltage and I'm running balanced power option. Tried max performance and results were little better but still unacceptable.

Was really depressing watching the graph bouncing around like crazy! Didn't take any screenshots of it yet but the 2 biggest offenders were dx??? and nv??? something.

Tried playing around to see if I could make it better but looked useless so I just gamed on.

Too be fair my install is getting kind of old anyways. Countless AMD drivers dropped on top of each other thru the last couple of months. I did use DDU to wipe them. Even tried a registry cleaner after seeing this thread.

On another note while playing FarCry Primal with the GTX 1070 it didn't feel as smooth as 390 CF although it had higher fps. Thought it was my imagination. Now leaning towards this issue as the cause.

I'm going to try a fresh install of Windows 10 and see how it goes. I usually do this whenever I change video cards anyways but was after some instant gratification.

I'll report back once I've done a fresh install and have had time to test it out. Possibly tonight as I can probably get base install done before work at least.

What's currently the best nvidia drivers?

Edit: On my rig the issue is somewhat intermittent as when I just woke it from sleep it's perfectly fine according to LatencyMon v6.5 which is allegedly compatible with Windows 10. Message was typed on my tablet originally.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Its fine to count, so long as it isnt used to forward ones agenda. Which I guess would be ro discourage Nvidia sales because bugs are now, get this, design flaws.
Kinda sick.

In the CPU world they call it a bug although it's the CPU causing the errata. Go figure!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Are my specs not showing up in my sig ? I can't tell I'm posting from my phone

You have no sig showing at this time.

On another note I just finished a fresh install of Win 10 Pro x64 with all available updates. The only drivers I've updated so far are the chipset, intel me, and the latest nvidia drivers.

Going to let the install settle a bit before I check again. Still got to install steam, etc when I get the time as I got to go to work now. Luckily my games are on 2nd SSD so it greatly speeds up that end of the install.

@madpacket....Zotac 1070 AMP is a nice card on the surface. Out of box good performance and very quiet. Don't like the led logo and lighting myself so I disable it with Zotac app. Jury still out on OC so far as I only got it late Friday night. Looks to boost at stock settings up to 1999MHz at times.

Last edited:

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
@madpacket....Zotac 1070 AMP is a nice card on the surface. Out of box good performance and very quiet. Don't like the led logo and lighting myself so I disable it with Zotac app. Jury still out on OC so far as I only got it late Friday night. Looks to boost at stock settings up to 1999MHz at times.

Thanks for the feedback on the latency and about Zotac Amp. Mine is supposed to arrive Friday so I have a few days to decide. I went with the Zotac as it wasn't much more than the other aftermarket cards (cheaper than FE's) and want something extremely quiet and cool, and this card seemed the best fit. Five year warranty is a nice bonus as well. It'll be going in a ITX case (Silverstone FTZ01) so I don't care about the look of the card or LED's (which I'll disable). To me the card is Fugly but I care more about performance, cooling, quiet than looks.

Hopefully Nvidia can fix this via a driver update. Please let us know your results if DPC still an issue with Windows 10. And if you get a chance to test the overclock that would be cool :)

I've no idea what the best Nvidia drivers are.

Last edited:

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Has anyone tried with and without GeForce Experience installed? I had a lof of latency issues with my GTX 1080 and working with audio in Ableton Live. Without the GTX 1080 installed, even my lowly i5 rig paired with an RME Babyface Pro worked perfectly fine as a DAW.

Using LatencyMon (http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon) I was able to identify nvlddmkm.sys as the source of the latency.

Re-installing the drivers without GeForce Experience helped somewhat. While it didn't being down the latency to a level that I thought was good enough for a $750 audio interface for working in Ableton, it may bring down the latency enough for general usage.

FYI - this is not a Pascal only problem. nvlddmkm.sys has been plaguing people who do audio work on their PCs for years, although, it doesn't seem to effect everyone https://www.google.com/#q=nvlddmkm.sys+latency

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
An interesting thought, I never install G. Experience and I also have low latency.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Looks good!

No news from Nvidia yet. Hopefully they release a hotfix soon.

Just wanted to let you know I didn't forget. Got off work late last night and didn't get a chance to even boot the rig up. Going to finish the install tonight and do some testing. Day off tomorrow so I'll have plenty of time to play around.

I think I'm going to use DDU to wipe the nvidia drivers with the disable windows auto install to get baseline results first.