Downloads don't finish

HowardS

Jan 3, 2008
Lately I have tried to download a few programs and when they get up to about 90 percent finished, they stop. I get a message saying download failed - source file could not be read. Can you help?

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Are you using some kind of download program or just straight from IE or FF? DUN or Cable or DSL?

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com

I *assume* you're using Internet Explorer. If so...

Start running Firefox with the DownThemAll! addon.

End of problem... :D

HowardS

Jan 3, 2008
No download program. Also, it is a dialup connection. Happened with firefox as well. I tried to download again and it went ok. dont know why

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com

Sometimes file downloads gets corrupted during transfer - especially HTML downloads - and won't save to disk...

Download managers really help! I used to rely on FlashGot/FDM (Free Download Manager) but DTA (DownThemAll!) works just as good.

If a download fails, make sure to clear your browser cache before attempting to download it again, otherwise, the browser will just use the bad copy in your cache, instead of downloading the file from scratch. ;)

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Not to mention DUN can easily get line interference and disconnect or hang up the download. As mentioned try a download manager program.