Downloading Songs over the Internet is TOO easy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: tasmanian
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
OP, where do you live? I don't feel like buying a new car. I'll just take yours.

God you anti pirate people are retarded. Downloading somthing for free is not like stealing a car.

Hey, I'm not the thief.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
OP, where do you live? I don't feel like buying a new car. I'll just take yours.

God you anti pirate people are retarded. Downloading somthing for free is not like stealing a car.

Hey, I'm not the thief.

Cat burglar (in the sense of being really lazy)?

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006

Hey, I'm not the thief.

Neither am I. I have never put a gun to someone and taken their cds. I have however downloaded a copy of a cd.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Hey, I'm not the thief.

Neither am I. I have never put a gun to someone and taken their cds. I have however downloaded a copy of a cd.

i didn't know a gun was required for robbery?

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006

Hey, I'm not the thief.

Yup... And it is also not intellectual property theft because no one downloads a cd and says "its mine!"... People that download albums actually help promote the band by praising them and letting friends etc know about them... So this whole argument is stupid

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

Hey, I'm not the thief.

Some states require that one use a gun for robberies. Little known fact!

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: FeuerFrei

Hey, I'm not the thief.

Name one. Just one.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Hey, I'm not the thief.

Never heard of that at all either, what state?

also those that say crime X is nothing like crime y are usually a bit biased as they are the ones commiting at least one of those crimes and would rather not see a penalty for it.

Stealing is stealing whether one believes the item is worth a penny or a few thousand bucks.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
My argument isn't that it's too hard to buy the music. It's the stupid DRM attached to the songs on many of the sites. Amazon is pretty good though. Lots of selection, you can get the songs for 89 cents a pop and can copy it to as many cd's, mp3 players, computers as you want.

iTunes, what a royal pain in the ass there. Girlfriend got a new laptop and has to go through a whole friggin export/import process to get her mp3's to load into iTunes on the new laptop. Friggin' stupid. I'm telling her to buy her music from Amazon from now on. iTunes will eat it hard and be forced to ditch DRM to compete.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Calculator83
audio quality is the most important and that requires some tweaking while ripping. Most of the iTunes amazon stuff are terrible , I can in fact tell the difference between 256 kbps and 320 Kbps , I can also tell the difference between ABR/CBR , 2 pass vs 1 pass , and I can tell u for sure the stores don' t put in the measley efforts at consistently. for some reason audiophiles/possibly pirates on torrents do the extra mile. Thats just on quality.

The torrent setup is fool proof since PNP is universal for most router defaults.

Use utorrent if ur having problems.

At Amazon.com, the distributors provide the music to be sold. Amazon.com does no ripping of anything.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
amazon is best option so far. so i support it.

the only thing i don't like about amazon is that you can't redownload the music you bought if you should lose it somehow, like in a HDD crash.

I'm not sure if the other sites allow this or not as I've never used them, but thats a big issue.

As was said, be responsible and backup your data.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: eos

the only thing i don't like about amazon is that you can't redownload the music you bought if you should lose it somehow, like in a HDD crash.

I'm not sure if the other sites allow this or not as I've never used them, but thats a big issue.

thats a given, but if you paid for it, you should be able to download it again. if they can do it with video games (D2D, STEAM, etc), i don't see why they can't do it with music.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: eos

thats a given, but if you paid for it, you should be able to download it again. if they can do it with video games (D2D, STEAM, etc), i don't see why they can't do it with music.

They can. However; it's not necessarily what you have purchased. If you don't agree with the licensing model, don't buy the song.

villageidiot111

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2004
Its easier to walk into a convenience store, grab a candy bar, and walk out with paying too.

How often do you do that?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: gorcorps
I find it easier to hit 'checkout' from amazon/half.com compared to installing a torrent app, setting up the router properly, etc... Now I'm not claiming to buy 100% of my music this way, but come on it's not that hard to get stuff legally.
Yeah, I really want to pay for something with DRM, poor sound quality from compression, potential incompatibility depending on what portable player I choose, etc.

I will not buy music online until it's the same quality and ease of use as my own CD rips.

Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
I'm having too much fun ripping everything to FLAC to bother figuring out how to download music.
I ripped my whole collection to FLAC and I love it. I get full lossless CD quality from whatever device I choose (I use PCs and Xboxes with XBMC to play music) and can create any lossy format I want anytime I want for whatever portable I want.

Edit: From what I'm reading in this thread, I may check out Amazon to purchase singles here and there. Might be the ticket. I'd prefer a lossless option, but I'll give it a look.

Calculator83

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Originally posted by: villageidiot111
Its easier to walk into a convenience store, grab a candy bar, and walk out with paying too.

How often do you do that?

Never, I don't like sweets.

If you look at a larger picture, It is not stealing in that the act is well in the capability of the actor to pull off without any consequences to himself.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Everyone in here flaming the OP for pirating is a fucking hypocrite. I'm sure you've never pirated anything ever.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Hey, I'm not the thief.

Never heard of that at all either, what state?

also those that say crime X is nothing like crime y are usually a bit biased as they are the ones commiting at least one of those crimes and would rather not see a penalty for it.

Stealing is stealing whether one believes the item is worth a penny or a few thousand bucks.

Guess I should have added a :p

Didn't think anyone would take it seriously ...