Downgrade from iOS6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I just "upgraded" my iPad3 to ios6. Performance is fine, my battery drain when not in use is insane. I lost 50% charge while not in use over a half day or so. I thought it was weird but didn't think much of it. Plugged it in overnight for a full charge, got back to 100%. Didn't use it for two days and now its completely dead. Normally would have only lost a couple percent. Wasn't even connected to wifi, I'm very unhappy.

Not even on wifi? Weird. I know that my iPad seems to be sleep draining a little faster than normal, but I just assumed that was background stuff, you know, doing stuff.

Performance wise, almost no differences between iOS 5 and 6 for me on either of my iDevices, and the new Maps app is just fine for me so far. But I don't use my phone like that all that often.

Honestly, I think that the new connector is nice, I wish there was a way I could upgrade to it. Other than dirty, dirty corporate greed, the micro USB spec doesn't support the amperage that the iPad requires, that and is ultimately a dumb connector (dumb as in not smart, not dumb as in lame/weak/stupid)

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Not even on wifi? Weird. I know that my iPad seems to be sleep draining a little faster than normal, but I just assumed that was background stuff, you know, doing stuff.

Performance wise, almost no differences between iOS 5 and 6 for me on either of my iDevices, and the new Maps app is just fine for me so far. But I don't use my phone like that all that often.

Honestly, I think that the new connector is nice, I wish there was a way I could upgrade to it. Other than dirty, dirty corporate greed, the micro USB spec doesn't support the amperage that the iPad requires, that and is ultimately a dumb connector (dumb as in not smart, not dumb as in lame/weak/stupid)

Yeah, the maps app is awful. I cannot wait until the google maps app becomes available via jailbreaking.

The new connector is NOT nice: you need a handshake for an accessory to work, which means more money going to apple. And cables cannot be made by third parties.

As for power...what? Uh, no. It can go as high as 30W at least (6A @ 5V) - moreover, you cannot charge your ipad from a PC using the USB cable. That's a limitation of the power output of the PC. There's no limit other than the gauge of wire used in the USB cable for power production. All you need do is combine a micro USB cable (A to B) to a power brick like used to charge the iPad currently - 5V @ 2A. Apple is just playing nonsense games.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
I just "upgraded" my iPad3 to ios6. Performance is fine, my battery drain when not in use is insane. I lost 50% charge while not in use over a half day or so. I thought it was weird but didn't think much of it. Plugged it in overnight for a full charge, got back to 100%. Didn't use it for two days and now its completely dead. Normally would have only lost a couple percent. Wasn't even connected to wifi, I'm very unhappy.

I also have a third gen iPad that I upgraded to iOS 6 and haven't experienced bizarre battery drain. I wonder if there is some other issue.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Yeah, the maps app is awful. I cannot wait until the google maps app becomes available via jailbreaking.

The new connector is NOT nice: you need a handshake for an accessory to work, which means more money going to apple. And cables cannot be made by third parties.

As for power...what? Uh, no. It can go as high as 30W at least (6A @ 5V) - moreover, you cannot charge your ipad from a PC using the USB cable. That's a limitation of the power output of the PC. There's no limit other than the gauge of wire used in the USB cable for power production. All you need do is combine a micro USB cable (A to B) to a power brick like used to charge the iPad currently - 5V @ 2A. Apple is just playing nonsense games.

You know there were circumstances where the older connector required a handshake as well, right? And it does work through an adapter. I'm not seeing the 'big' issue that a consumer should care about.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004

Why not wait until Google actually releases their own Maps app, or do you really think that they will cut off 100s of millions of ad targets out of spite?

Are you talking about the chip in the cable? Has anyone actually verified that it is an authentication chip? USB has a handshake protocol as well, most interface protocols do (if I am remember my 10 year old IT & Network knowledge properly).

As for the power thing, eh, I read it somewhere, seemed reputable. But who cares anyway? Did someone hold a gun to your head to require you to get an iPhone 5?

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
You know there were circumstances where the older connector required a handshake as well, right? And it does work through an adapter. I'm not seeing the 'big' issue that a consumer should care about.

Unless you consider needing to buy a $30 adapter for all of your existing accessories a 'big' issue for consumers, I suppose you are right. Seems like a big deal to me.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005

Did you make sure bluetooth is turned off? If I forget and leave my iPhone or iPod Touch bluetooth on overnight I generally wake up to a dead battery.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

I am. They force you to buy their own insanely expensive crap. To me, buying a $40 adapter just to keep using old stuff is...as Guy Kawasaki said, arrogant.

Why not wait until Google actually releases their own Maps app, or do you really think that they will cut off 100s of millions of ad targets out of spite?

Are you talking about the chip in the cable? Has anyone actually verified that it is an authentication chip? USB has a handshake protocol as well, most interface protocols do (if I am remember my 10 year old IT & Network knowledge properly).

As for the power thing, eh, I read it somewhere, seemed reputable. But who cares anyway? Did someone hold a gun to your head to require you to get an iPhone 5?

If you had ACTUALLY read this thread - that is to say MY thread...you'd know I don't have an iPhone 5, nor will I be buying the piece of crap. As for google, I doubt they will make one. Why give iPhone users what they want? It's easier to Schmidt to say "Hey, if you want a company that won't force you on to their sub-par mapping service, get Android!" The ONLY way we will get Google maps back is by jailbreaking and installing it from Cydia when the port is done.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
I am. They force you to buy their own insanely expensive crap. To me, buying a $40 adapter just to keep using old stuff is...as Guy Kawasaki said, arrogant.

If you had ACTUALLY read this thread - that is to say MY thread...you'd know I don't have an iPhone 5, nor will I be buying the piece of crap. As for google, I doubt they will make one. Why give iPhone users what they want? It's easier to Schmidt to say "Hey, if you want a company that won't force you on to their sub-par mapping service, get Android!" The ONLY way we will get Google maps back is by jailbreaking and installing it from Cydia when the port is done.

No, Google isn't stupid, they make more money off of iOS users, turning them into converts would actually HURT their bottom line. On top of that, they just got cut off from 100s of millions of users that they can't show ads to in Maps. They are going to release their own Map app. Why they didn't have it ready to go at launch... I don't know. Sources say that Apple DIDN'T block it contrary to any crazy conspiracy theories that people have, the truth seems to be that Google just didn't have it ready for whatever reason, don't take what they say as the truth, they were not caught unaware.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
No, Google isn't stupid, they make more money off of iOS users, turning them into converts would actually HURT their bottom line. On top of that, they just got cut off from 100s of millions of users that they can't show ads to in Maps. They are going to release their own Map app. Why they didn't have it ready to go at launch... I don't know. Sources say that Apple DIDN'T block it contrary to any crazy conspiracy theories that people have, the truth seems to be that Google just didn't have it ready for whatever reason, don't take what they say as the truth, they were not caught unaware.
What ads in maps are you talking about?

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
What ads in maps are you talking about?

The promoted locations or whatever it was. Wasn't there a thing where you would search for (say) pizza places around you, and 1 or 2 of them were sponsored hits and then there was the rest of the list?

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Unless you consider needing to buy a $30 adapter for all of your existing accessories a 'big' issue for consumers, I suppose you are right. Seems like a big deal to me.

That's not the point we were discussing. We're talking about the 'maybe' auth chip, not the cost of an adapter. I don't see the point of the consumer caring about the 'maybe' auth chip. Sure they can care about the cost to buy an adapter for their old stuff.