Down with the RIAA? write your local editor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Originally posted by: ShockwaveVT
Pirates will be pirates. This is just one, of many type rebellions against people who are trying to enforce the laws against stealing artists rights to what they have produced. Go cry me a fscking river. :|

Its not about piracy, it is about fair use. The DMCA is flawed and that flaw is abused by content producers to prevent consumers from exercising their fair use rights to make personal-use copies and backups of copyrighted works. The companies represented by the RIAA and the MPAA want consumers to pay for the same content over and over again, just because its on a different format. VHS, DVD, HD-DVD, PSP, Video On Demand. Cassette, CD, MP3, MP3 Ringtone.

Paying for the same content twice is not something I'm willing to do unless there's a signifigant increase in value (as in Quality) from going from one format to another. Cassette to CD was acceptable due to the increase in sound quality. However I can't legally (because of the DMCA) make a VHS copy of a DVD that I own, or decode the video on that DVD and store it on my home media server that allows me greater convenience when it comes to viewing the content that I've paid for.

The DMCA and associated "anti-piracy" content protection systems penalize legitimate customers. People who do not want to pay for media will always find a way around content protection, so easily that it is, in fact meaningless in prevention of illicit copying and sharing of works. The only reason content protection exists is to abuse paying customers.

That is the real problem. Do you really think the RIAA and MPAA really care whether people back up their own "legitimately purchased tapes, discs, and other media"?

Yes they do care. They want you to purchase the media again if something goes wrong with it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

Yes they do care. They want you to purchase the media again if something goes wrong with it.

If you have a movie get scratched, call up the publisher. I know Disney will send you a replacement disc for a small shipping and handling fee, and I would be really surprised if the other companies won't do the same.

Of course considering how cheap movies are these days, a small shipping and handling fee is half the cost of a new disc from a store.

Contrary to popular belief, they're not in the business of screwing people.

ShockwaveVT

Dec 13, 2004
The DMCA and associated "anti-piracy" content protection systems penalize legitimate customers. People who do not want to pay for media will always find a way around content protection, so easily that it is, in fact meaningless in prevention of illicit copying and sharing of works. The only reason content protection exists is to abuse paying customers.

That is the real problem. Do you really think the RIAA and MPAA really care whether people back up their own "legitimately purchased tapes, discs, and other media"?

Yes, they want you to pay them for every copy of a media item that you possess. They also don't give a rat's ass about the artists that actually create the media. They are out to abuse the consumer's rights and the artist's rights to make as much money as they possibly can. They will also do anything they can to limit competition to their production and distribution methods.

Try reading these articles at Techdirt on economics of abundance, it helps demonstrate how the RIAA and MPAA are conducting their business to the detriment of consumers and the economy. Its a long series but well worth the read. The latest in the series is here http://techdirt.com/articles/20070215/002923.shtml at the bottom of the article is a listing of links to preceding installments on the topic.

At the very least the RIAA/MPAA are approaching their crusade against illicit copying in a way that severely impacts paying consumers, and they deserve to be boycotted for it.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Pirates will be pirates. This is just one, of many type rebellions against people who are trying to enforce the laws against stealing artists rights to what they have produced. Go cry me a fscking river. :|

Its not about piracy, it is about fair use. The DMCA is flawed and that flaw is abused by content producers to prevent consumers from exercising their fair use rights to make personal-use copies and backups of copyrighted works. The companies represented by the RIAA and the MPAA want consumers to pay for the same content over and over again, just because its on a different format. VHS, DVD, HD-DVD, PSP, Video On Demand. Cassette, CD, MP3, MP3 Ringtone.

Paying for the same content twice is not something I'm willing to do unless there's a signifigant increase in value (as in Quality) from going from one format to another. Cassette to CD was acceptable due to the increase in sound quality. However I can't legally (because of the DMCA) make a VHS copy of a DVD that I own, or decode the video on that DVD and store it on my home media server that allows me greater convenience when it comes to viewing the content that I've paid for.

Yes, they do in fact care, because they see it as another large potential revenue stream if they can make you pay each time you want to use something on a different format, or each time your little 3 year old decides to play hockey with a dvd disk. Want to listen to a track from the CD you bought on your portable player? They want to force you to purchase that track for use on the portable player instead of just ripping the track from the CD.

The bottom line is that groups like the RIAA are perfectly willing to sacrifice the rights of all consumers if they think it will help them increase revenues, whether it be through reducing piracy or removing fair use rights.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

Want to listen to a track from the CD you bought on your portable player? They want to force you to purchase that track for use on the portable player instead of just ripping the track from the CD.

Do you have any basis for saying this? Even with Sony's rootkit fiasco they weren't trying to prevent people from ripping CDs, they were just trying to add DRM so you couldn't share your music with everyone.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs

Want to listen to a track from the CD you bought on your portable player? They want to force you to purchase that track for use on the portable player instead of just ripping the track from the CD.

Do you have any basis for saying this? Even with Sony's rootkit fiasco they weren't trying to prevent people from ripping CDs, they were just trying to add DRM so you couldn't share your music with everyone.
Yes, you'll have to go dig up a link sometime, but during one of the trials the attorney representing the RIAA was asked about that matter and indicated that the RIAA does not feel you have a "right" to transfer the media from one format to another, their position is that your license only covers the use of the media in the format you purchased it, nothing else.

Just because they have not been able to enforce that position (yet), that's still their position. That's one of the fair use rights they'd love to be able to do away with so you'd be forced to buy the same music twice, once on CD, then a digital track if you want to play it on your portable player. Think of the revenue stream!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
the riaa acts like thugs, sueing people for 150k a song is absurd and abusive. it doesn't matter if you think they stole something, the response is so disproportionate that the original "crime" pales in comparison. riaa needs to learn a lesson. and those who defend it need to spend time in jail for doing something like jaywalking or speeding 2 miles over the limit.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: child of wonder
What a stupid reply. Why do you automatically assume that anyone who opposes the tactics of the RIAA and MPAA must be a pirate? These organizations are working hard to take away my current legal fair use rights. They abuse existing laws and try to get new onerous ones passed to stifle innovation. I oppose what they do, and so should any sane person, regardless of whether they pirate stuff or not.

I assure you, if there was not rampant piracy of talent and intellectual rights, there would be no RIAA, or MPAA. Like it or not, that's my take, and I don't believe I'm far from the truth.

And M4H, I don't feel it is in your best interests to be calling me a dick.

I'm confused. How is that bad for him to call you a dick?

probably cause he's a mod