Down with the RIAA? write your local editor

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pirates will be pirates. This is just one, of many type rebellions against people who are trying to enforce the laws against stealing artists rights to what they have produced. Go cry me a fscking river. :|

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Pirates will be pirates. This is just one, of many type rebellions against people who are trying to enforce the laws against stealing artists rights to what they have produced. Go cry me a fscking river. :|
What a stupid reply. Why do you automatically assume that anyone who opposes the tactics of the RIAA and MPAA must be a pirate? These organizations are working hard to take away my current legal fair use rights. They abuse existing laws and try to get new onerous ones passed to stifle innovation. I oppose what they do, and so should any sane person, regardless of whether they pirate stuff or not.

Jan 31, 2002

Don't be a dick. I'm not okay with giving up the right to fair use and a personal archive copy of the expensive media that I just purchased. If you're content to take it on the chin/lips/eyes/face/pearl necklace from the MPAA/RIAA, go ahead. Just don't whine when your ability as a legitimate user gets compromised from yet another failed anti-piracy measure.

- M4H

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
What a stupid reply. Why do you automatically assume that anyone who opposes the tactics of the RIAA and MPAA must be a pirate? These organizations are working hard to take away my current legal fair use rights. They abuse existing laws and try to get new onerous ones passed to stifle innovation. I oppose what they do, and so should any sane person, regardless of whether they pirate stuff or not.

I assure you, if there was not rampant piracy of talent and intellectual rights, there would be no RIAA, or MPAA. Like it or not, that's my take, and I don't believe I'm far from the truth.

And M4H, I don't feel it is in your best interests to be calling me a dick.

Jan 31, 2002
I assure you, if there was not rampant piracy of talent and intellectual rights, there would be no RIAA, or MPAA. Like it or not, that's my take, and I don't believe I'm far from the truth.

You can steal intellectual property (lyrics, songs) but as you can easily see on American Idol, you can't steal talent. ;)

However, "my take" is that the anti-piracy measures put in place by the RIAA/MPAA aren't doing jack to stop real pirates. They might stop a handful of casual copying, but they've certainly done a lot more harm to legitimate users.

And for clarity, I said "Don't be a dick" - implying that you weren't a dick, you were just heading towards taking on the mannerisms of one. There are plenty of non-piracy reasons to be pissed off with the RIAA/MPAA, not the least of which being that you have to break a law (DMCA) to make a perfectly legal personal archive copy of a DVD.

- M4H

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Downloading music for free is wrong, but so is the RIAA and MPAA's Gestapo tactics against people and their abuse of law by filing frivolous lawsuits against people in an attempt to extort money from those who do not have the means to defend themselves.

Until that practice stops, I will NEVER purchase ANYTHING from the RIAA or MPAA and I will encourage others to do the same.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

somebody missed snack time....

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

You can steal intellectual property (lyrics, songs) but as you can easily see on American Idol, you can't steal talent. ;)

However, "my take" is that the anti-piracy measures put in place by the RIAA/MPAA aren't doing jack to stop real pirates. They might stop a handful of casual copying, but they've certainly done a lot more harm to legitimate users.

And for clarity, I said "Don't be a dick" - implying that you weren't a dick, you were just heading towards taking on the mannerisms of one. There are plenty of non-piracy reasons to be pissed off with the RIAA/MPAA, not the least of which being that you have to break a law (DMCA) to make a perfectly legal personal archive copy of a DVD.

- M4H

Very eloquent. I'm impressed with your grasp of the English language. Have a nice day, you politician, you. :D

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006

I'm confused. How is that bad for him to call you a dick?

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001

On a side note home taping destroyed the music industry. Oh wait no it didn't. I agree that piracy is a bad thing, but if I buy a CD or a DVD I have certain implied rights (the right to make a copy or transfer that IP to another device I own). If the RIAA/MPAA had their way I would have to buy a new CD for every player I own.

If I want to take a song that I bought from ITunes or whatever else and put it on my mp3 player or burn it to a CD I should have that right. After all I already bought the song. The RIAA/MPAA treat their customers like criminals and I will never support that. It would be like if best buy sold you a radio but told you that you could only use it in the kitchen and if you used it anywhere else they would sue you.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
writing a letter won't change anything, you need to lobby your congressman/senator the way the RIAA/MPAA does

good luck, hope you have millions of $$$

Skotty

Dec 29, 2006
It would help if using legal copies of media wasn't so difficult. Some time ago I bought the T2 extreme DVD that supposedly had a hi-def version you could watch on your PC. I never could get it to work, so I just downloaded the pirated version instead.

This problem may continue indefinitely. In the end, people will see that the legal media is expensive, problematic, and sometimes doesn't work. Meanwhile, the pirated stuff is free and just works. Which will consumers more often go for?

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: child of wonder

I'm confused. How is that bad for him to call you a dick?[/q]

Because I might just smack him with a nice, large, wet lake Trout! :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Gotta agree with ya here. It's not the multitude of LEGAL uses that they are doing battle with, it's the ILLEGAL uses (file sharing, Napster, Limewire, etc.) types of activities that have caused this. Those of you who believe it's OK to download music you haven't paid for...who download movies you haven't paid for, (or upload the same) YOU are the ones they are after. If I buy a CD, I have the right to make a copy...BUT, I don't have the right to make 1000 copies and sell them, I DON'T have the right to post them so that others can download them over teh intarweb, etc...
Piracy is piracy. Just because you don't happen to agree with that doesn't change the fact that it's still stealing...

Kur

Feb 19, 2005

I download Music, you gonna report me? Ohes Noes I'm so scared.

Why do I download music? I don't feel a need to buy a CD for $15-$20 and find out it sucks and be stuck with it. So instead of playing the grab bag game with music companies I download albums and see if it's even worth buying.

Do you even know how much an artist gets for each physical album sold? If you want to support your artist go to their concerts.

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Kur

Why do I download music? I don't feel a need to buy a CD for $15-$20 and find out it sucks and be stuck with it. So instead of playing the grab bag game with music companies I download albums and see if it's even worth buying.

Do you even know how much an artist gets for each physical album sold? If you want to support your artist go to their concerts.

No, but I'm sure it's way less than they deserve, because of people who think like you.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005

No, but I'm sure it's way less than they deserve, because of people who think like you.

As far as I know artists have always gotten crap for each album sold.

edit: I fail to see how what I am doing it ruining an artist? Yes I very much know it's not legal, but yet again I come back to ask why I must spend my money on something that is not even worth the $15 I spent on it? I do buy the music If I like it, if not I trash it.

I can't seem to connect your dots here.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005

Just a friendly word of advice... the mods banned me for a week SOLELY for saying the same thing you did (bolded). Would hate to see the same happen to you.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
Originally posted by: giantpinkbunnyhead

Just a friendly word of advice... the mods banned me for a week SOLELY for saying the same thing you did (bolded). Would hate to see the same happen to you.

That would be a shame, a week without ATOT, I would have to cry myself to sleep at night =(

ShockwaveVT

Dec 13, 2004

Its not about piracy, it is about fair use. The DMCA is flawed and that flaw is abused by content producers to prevent consumers from exercising their fair use rights to make personal-use copies and backups of copyrighted works. The companies represented by the RIAA and the MPAA want consumers to pay for the same content over and over again, just because its on a different format. VHS, DVD, HD-DVD, PSP, Video On Demand. Cassette, CD, MP3, MP3 Ringtone.

Paying for the same content twice is not something I'm willing to do unless there's a signifigant increase in value (as in Quality) from going from one format to another. Cassette to CD was acceptable due to the increase in sound quality. However I can't legally (because of the DMCA) make a VHS copy of a DVD that I own, or decode the video on that DVD and store it on my home media server that allows me greater convenience when it comes to viewing the content that I've paid for.

The DMCA and associated "anti-piracy" content protection systems penalize legitimate customers. People who do not want to pay for media will always find a way around content protection, so easily that it is, in fact meaningless in prevention of illicit copying and sharing of works. The only reason content protection exists is to abuse paying customers.

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ShockwaveVT

Its not about piracy, it is about fair use. The DMCA is flawed and that flaw is abused by content producers to prevent consumers from exercising their fair use rights to make personal-use copies and backups of copyrighted works. The companies represented by the RIAA and the MPAA want consumers to pay for the same content over and over again, just because its on a different format. VHS, DVD, HD-DVD, PSP, Video On Demand. Cassette, CD, MP3, MP3 Ringtone.

Paying for the same content twice is not something I'm willing to do unless there's a signifigant increase in value (as in Quality) from going from one format to another. Cassette to CD was acceptable due to the increase in sound quality. However I can't legally (because of the DMCA) make a VHS copy of a DVD that I own, or decode the video on that DVD and store it on my home media server that allows me greater convenience when it comes to viewing the content that I've paid for.

The DMCA and associated "anti-piracy" content protection systems penalize legitimate customers. People who do not want to pay for media will always find a way around content protection, so easily that it is, in fact meaningless in prevention of illicit copying and sharing of works. The only reason content protection exists is to abuse paying customers.

That is the real problem. Do you really think the RIAA and MPAA really care whether people back up their own "legitimately purchased tapes, discs, and other media"?