DOW2 released today, anyone here play it yet?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Liet do you know if they have stopped expanding on DoW1?
thanks for the MP feedback, i kinda assumed Tyranids would be very powerful. It's usually that way...1 example would be C&C3 and the alien race...

can't wait to meet them in SP. I remember many hours playing the table top game as Blood Angels vs a friend's Tyranids :D

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Wow, so just opened up my envelope from Gogamer and found there's absolutely no security seal on the game itself! The game is in a slim DVD type case with a paper jacket but the case just opens right up once you slide it out of the sleeve. Are the retail cases like this in B&Ms? If so stolen keys would be a major problem I'd imagine. In any case, no problems here, entered key into Steam and its activated and working just fine.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Malladine
Liet do you know if they have stopped expanding on DoW1?
thanks for the MP feedback, i kinda assumed Tyranids would be very powerful. It's usually that way...1 example would be C&C3 and the alien race...

can't wait to meet them in SP. I remember many hours playing the table top game as Blood Angels vs a friend's Tyranids :D
Hiya Malladine,

I'm not sure what you mean regarding expanding on DoW1... If you're asking whether there will be any more expansions to DoW1 (like Winder Assault, Dark Crusade, and Soulstorm), then I assume they're done with DoW1.

DoW2 has a much better artistic/graphic feel to it. Orks don't look like cartoonish freaks now, they look like hulking maniacal psychopath killers, and Marines look like badasses - too bad they whine so much in SP.

I think you'll like SP, but don't expect too much fluff. Marines seem like pansies now compared to the 'rampaging badasses of the galaxy' feel from DoW1 and fluff. I prefer my Marines to be giant assholes willing to declare Exterminatus because the cashier at the store got their change wrong. In DoW2, some planetary administrator has the nerve to give them attitude, and they just whine to themselves about it instead of immediately executing her! Pfffft. :)

I did have a problem with Campaign mode... Normal mode is more fluffy because your few Marines can destroy almost anything, which makes the game easy. Captain mode is much harder, but doesn't feel fluffy enough for me! How's that for a problem?!

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I can't wait for the first expansion, hopefully it'll be along the lines of Winter Assault (another campaign, play as more races in SP and MP)

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Oh I 100% agree on the graphics, the game looks awesome. Very polished and not overdone at all.

Tyranids are a blast to fight. I felt they really hit the nail on the head with them, except for the zerg sounds here and there ;)
I was recently harangued by the Meridian admin myself, hah.

I agree on orks being squishy, they die like termagaunts...

Captain is the 3rd of 4 difficulty levels right? I'm on Sergeant, it's fairly tough in parts, especially the boss battles here and there. Only failed i think one mission so far, vs a warp spider exarch. Completed it the 2nd time through.

I'm enjoying all the different facets of the game, the tyranid infestation meters, eldar machinations, squad deployment and fitting and of course tactical combat!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Captain is the 3rd of 4 difficulty levels right? I'm on Sergeant, it's fairly tough in parts, especially the boss battles here and there. Only failed i think one mission so far, vs a warp spider exarch. Completed it the 2nd time through.

Yes it is. I am on my second play-through on Sergeant and have to say I am still struggling every so often. Defence missions near the end are proving to be difficult if I am not on the ball or just trying to take things casually.

I levelled my squad up completely differently this time, still using FC, Tarkus, Avitus and Thaddeus only and I must say it is fun.

I am thinking of dropping down to Recruit (Easiest) for my next run through and using Cyrus/Thule a bit more. Really just to explore different character and squad playstyles.

It is the small touches what make this game superb. My fave being Tarkus and the trait that makes his squad full of Veterans, Veteran marine colours and different weapons.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Exactly man, Relic really loves the Warhammer 40k universe, it shows in the details.

I use FC, Avitus all the time and swap out the other three (i didn't know Thule becomes available..?). Just reached the vet. trait with Tark actually, haven't used them in mission yet.

Cyrus is very useful sometimes, for example taking out the hive dens or whatever they are.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Exactly man, Relic really loves the Warhammer 40k universe, it shows in the details.

I use FC, Avitus all the time and swap out the other three (i didn't know Thule becomes available..?). Just reached the vet. trait with Tark actually, haven't used them in mission yet.

Cyrus is very useful sometimes, for example taking out the hive dens or whatever they are.

Tarkus was an ever-present for me. Immense flexibility is the name of his game.

Sorry, Thule was a freudian slip. I have just been re-reading some of the Warhammer 40k novels (have read over 30 of them now) and must have slipped in with Thules name.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Yeah I know, I usually try to play a little differently though. Since I know he'd be useful on any mission, I try to mix it up, if that makes sense. I guess that's why you're replaying it. I probably will too come to think of it! and i never do that...

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Anyone want to buy a copy? Played the game for half an hour and hate it, should have tried the demo first. Ill be going back to DOW1.

Rassilon

Sep 4, 2006
I got it last week, and played the beta for a bit before that.
It looks great, and i really like the campaign. co-op play is really fun as well.

BUT, the multiplayer is just slow and dull. so disappointing after DoW1 and Company of Heroes, which were both awesome.

I'm also rather pissed that it requires steam AND live for windows. i dont really want either POS on my machine...

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Currently on my Third run-thru in the Campaign, this time on Recruit difficulty.

Feels quite odd and it is a huge step down from Sergeant level. Orks are dropping like flies to random bolter fire. This time, I am aiming to make Tarkus into a Veteran Melee Squad and truly make my FC into a Melee Powerhouse and go more for ranged with the rest of my squad.

I have to say the way new items drop really affects how my squads level and how they develop. I lacked Terminator Weaponary drops and only the early Heavy Bolter dropped so Avitus stayed with his generic Plasma Cannon until the end. My "Ranged" FC became melee as two Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields dropped, one for him and Thaddeus. Tarkus used a green lvl 14ish Storm Bolter and an old Power Fist as well.

I am very glad that Relic/THQ went the Steam way as I feel Steam is the way forward, digital download, is the future for games distribution. I have never had an issue with Steam and I have a Fibre Optic 20mb Cable line so its perfect for me. I know some others feel different for many reasons but I am one of those who would buy everything off Steam if possible and made economical sense.

GFWL took a huge bashing over at the Relic Forums early on but they have made significant improvements via. patches to improve matching, both speed and match quality. As I do not play online, I cannot comment personally on it.

From official Developers at Relic, they are already working on a balance and fix patch which should be out in the coming weeks. They are closing looking at how the units are used within games etc. to assess how best to balance and what steps need to be taken. One massive task they have is to try and improve on the lacklustre AI from skirmishes.

Looks great and the outlook for the game is superb. Better than DoW/CoH on many levels... but strangely lacking some of the best parts of CoH.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
yeah the RPG style drops are a lot of fun :) Nothing Terminator wise for me either yet, but I have both Tarkus and Thaddeus able to equip the gear, iirc. I've built the FC into all melee, one more lvl til the last melee trait! He's pretty badass, can slaughter a whole wave of rippers or hormagaunts pretty easily, especially with the "rally" ability. btw stimpacks rock, been using them from the beginning.

I can't handle SP being a cake walk, sergeant difficulty is going well so far. I'll rerun on the next one up probably.

btw I couldn't agree more on steam being the way to go.

And yeah, MP always needs fine tuning and unfortunately it's not something that can be done before release. Haven't checked it out myself yet.