DotA help

matas

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2005
I started playing regular warcraft 3 custom games. I played it for like 6 hours total so I know some strategies. Like do not attack the creeps until their health is low, get the last kill for gold. What I don't know is what war3 heroes are the best ones, and what items should I get first. Can anyone help me? I found some stuff for tft on google, but not regular war3.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Read up on the forums, dota-allstars.com. There's tons of information on there including strategy guides, both for heroes and basic strategy.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Depends on your playing style. Melee heroes typically require better timing with their short range stuns, range heroes often require a bit more micro due to their lower ability to accept punishment. And intelligence heroes require good knowledge of skills since they cant do much damage melee or range-wise.

matas

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2005
it's a lot of memorization. Different versions of DotA have different spells for each character.

tvdang7

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2005
yea i was like you once. you REALLY have to play every heroe to understand their moves and how they work. its pretty crazy how some moves work. at least your last hitting creeps took me like 3 months to even understand. I would auto attack all creeps and use my moves on them. There isnt a "best "hero since its mostly a team game. But good first blood killers to me are Lion and lina. If you want to be a support disabler than Rhasta is easy to use. Want to be a tank that does not Die as easy then the skeleton king has 2 lives.

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: tvdang7
yea i was like you once. you REALLY have to play every heroe to understand their moves and how they work. its pretty crazy how some moves work. at least your last hitting creeps took me like 3 months to even understand. I would auto attack all creeps and use my moves on them. There isnt a "best "hero since its mostly a team game. But good first blood killers to me are Lion and lina. If you want to be a support disabler than Rhasta is easy to use. Want to be a tank that does not Die as easy then the skeleton king has 2 lives.

there are so many factors, there are no such things are first blood heroes. it depends on who solos, how noob your opponent is, how good you are at teaming with your partner, etc.
it takes 3-5 games to really get to know your own hero. it takes many games to figure out what moves all the other heroes have so you don't blindly 1v1 them.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Intelligence heros are usually easier to play early in the game. Agility is best during the mid game (8-16ish) and Strength / Agility are best for the end game (depending on the hero's skills). Similarly, ranged is usually better for the early / early-mid game, and melee takes off later on. That's a huge generalization, but it's what I've concluded after a few years of playing. (I haven't played much in the past 1-2 years though).

Usually the best thing to do when starting out is play passively. Don't chase after another hero unless you're ready to one shot them and there's no chance of backup lurking in the trees, stay behind your own creeps (but be sure to be in range to get experience), and watch what similar heros are getting item wise. Starting out with a ranged agility hero is usually a good way to go (Drow, Troll, etc.).