Dota 2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Just, no. Drow has a horrible attack animation and new players shouldn't start as squishy carries without escape abilities. Bots are a great way to learn the game, but if you just want to jump in my suggestions are Lich/Tidehunter. If you want to try a carry maybe try out Viper.

I think Lich is probably the easiest hero in the game.

I like Clinkz a lot, too, but he's pretty hard and I'm terrible at last hitting.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
As a new player pick a support. Never pick Sniper. Venomancer is can be a great support because he has the best harass in the game. Lich and Lion are great starter heroes. Crystal Maiden is great as well for noobs.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Or do what I did when I was new and go into people games and random until you know every hero and what they do. After 3000 games of LoL there are little differences from the hero's spells.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Or do what I did when I was new and go into people games and random until you know every hero and what they do. After 3000 games of LoL there are little differences from the hero's spells.

The problem with this, I'm not sure how it works in LoL, is that Dota 2 has unranked mode. After losing 100 games in a row just to get the feel of it, you're stuck with players who are awful and will never win another game. This is extremely prevalent in HoN. Starting at 1500 and losing 100 games will ensure you stay at the 1300 bracket forever. You get matched with players who have 1000 games and are 1300, and therefore awful. 1000 games with a 0.3 kdr? Pick a hard carry and go mid!

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
All 3 MOBA/ARTS games have that issue. And you'll hear the same response in every one of those games if you're saying that you're stuck at some random low elo/rating. Get over it, get better, and carry your way out. If you're really better than everyone in the game, most of the time you'll end up being able to carry a team as long as the teams are relatively equal (which is the whole point of a matchmaking system).

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
The problem with this, I'm not sure how it works in LoL, is that Dota 2 has unranked mode. After losing 100 games in a row just to get the feel of it, you're stuck with players who are awful and will never win another game. This is extremely prevalent in HoN. Starting at 1500 and losing 100 games will ensure you stay at the 1300 bracket forever. You get matched with players who have 1000 games and are 1300, and therefore awful. 1000 games with a 0.3 kdr? Pick a hard carry and go mid!

That really isn't true. You gotta network and dig your way out. Play with people. Add people to your friends list who are enjoyable to play with and dig your way out. It is quite doable. You have to actually play the game it was meant to be played and not just what your possibly incorrect intuition tells you. Spend some time observing how decent players play a hero and you will start to see nuances in what they do that make all the difference in the world in terms of success rate. Just the other day I watched a player play lego on HON and I immediately realized why I was failing so often with him.

1) Order of skill obtainment
2) Order of skill usage
3) Farming habits
4) Map awareness, especially after transitions when you tend to lose focus and the other players might be able to capitalize
5) Judgement Calls in terms of who beats who in what situation
6) Communicating with team about your intentions and being thoughtful of other people's decisions

Last edited:

BergeLSU

Apr 6, 2011
All 3 MOBA/ARTS games have that issue. And you'll hear the same response in every one of those games if you're saying that you're stuck at some random low elo/rating. Get over it, get better, and carry your way out. If you're really better than everyone in the game, most of the time you'll end up being able to carry a team as long as the teams are relatively equal (which is the whole point of a matchmaking system).

The truth is that after 1000 games, you are probably in the correct bracket.

It cracks me up when I am in a game and someone complains about how bad everyone in the match is. If he has 700 wins, that means he is likely the exact same skill level as everyone else in the match.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
If anyone is wanting to play some co-op bot games send me a PM and I'll send you my steam ID.
The gaming community I'm a part of has a vent set up and I can give some basics as we play.
Keep in mind I'm not the best by any sense, but good enough to help you get started.

Robert Munch

Oct 11, 2006
The truth is that after 1000 games, you are probably in the correct bracket.

It cracks me up when I am in a game and someone complains about how bad everyone in the match is. If he has 700 wins, that means he is likely the exact same skill level as everyone else in the match.
That's incorrect.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
This game is kind of crazy. Jumped into a game and had no idea what I was doing. I thought I had killed stuff, but ended up with big a fat zero in the kills department. I also could not tell if I had stuff equipped or not nor could I figure out how to use some of my potions and whatnot.

Guess I have some reading to do.

KT

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
This game is kind of crazy. Jumped into a game and had no idea what I was doing. I thought I had killed stuff, but ended up with big a fat zero in the kills department. I also could not tell if I had stuff equipped or not nor could I figure out how to use some of my potions and whatnot.

Guess I have some reading to do.

KT

Same here. I had real trouble regarding my inventory and the sheer number of items and upgrades available seemed overwhelming. Also, i donno why, but i got a little bored. But that may just be because i had no idea what i was doing. I need to play more.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
For you guys totally new to DOTA
Here is a guide that will teach you the basics of the game and what a lot of stuff means and give you tips
http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck#.UPLsXG_hpAd
That is just for an overall kind of info. If you want to learn how to play a specific hero and what items you should be buying for it you'll need to find some guides http://www.dotafire.com/ has lots of info and various player made guides for that.

Last edited:

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Here is a guide that will teach you the basics of the game and what a lot of stuff means and give you tips
That is just for an overall kind of info. If you want to learn how to play a specific hero and what items you should be buying for it you'll need to find some guides http://www.dotafire.com/ has lots of info and various player made guides for that.

This. And watch Purge's gameplay videos and particularly his item video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-qHJGIUvU

Purge may not be the best player, but he has a lot of very useful knowledge. And I guarantee he's better than all of us!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Same here. I had real trouble regarding my inventory and the sheer number of items and upgrades available seemed overwhelming. Also, i donno why, but i got a little bored. But that may just be because i had no idea what i was doing. I need to play more.

Yeah, I felt the exact same way.

Cool, thanks. These guys were running around and triggering all of the Quake sounds (mmmmonster kill!) and I did nothing but die. :(

KT

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I've been playing more and more DOTA2 and hardly ever play LoL anymore. The main thing I love about it is the game modes, random draft and single draft mode are > anything in LoL. Random draft is a simple draft mode with no bans each team takes turns picking, but the catch is only 22 heroes are in the draft rather than the full assortment. Single draft gives each player a random agi, int, and str hero and they can pick one of the three.

I like both modes for the same reason- it mixes up the game and you don't just the same hero over and over again. Captain's mode is a lot like LoL draft, and I don't think it's too terrible of a system but it takes so much longer to start a game. All pick is like blind pick of LoL, but even this has an aspect that makes it more enjoyable to me- you can go with a hard random hero (not the useless "random" of LoL with infinite repicks allowed) and you will start with extra gold.

Also, I have several invites, if anyone wants one.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
Cool, thanks. These guys were running around and triggering all of the Quake sounds (mmmmonster kill!) and I did nothing but die. :(

try to play safer, don't cross the river without knowing were your enemies are... warding/ team comunication is very important also...
always have a TP scroll, always!

AVP

Jan 19, 2005

You are better off just following the in-game "core" and "situational" lists. Getting any of these items will never be the reason you failed in a game, even if they aren't always the ideal purchase based on your level of farm, your lane and the enemy team composition. For quite a while there will be many many more reasons why you fail or lose other than your item choices, especially when it comes to farming (last hitting, stacking, ganking and taking towers).

There are very few heroes in DOTA that REQUIRE a certain build to be effective, and even then in the hands of a good player adjustments can be made to suit the team better overall.

Instead of reading build guides you will more quickly learn and get better if you take a little time and gain a grasp on all of the items, their cost and their buildup. Some games you will want a mkb, some you will want a bkb, learning to understand why and when to get either instinctively will take you so much further than looking at build guides, and make the game more enjoyable.

Again the in-game lists are fine with one extra consideration: the importance of team utility items like Drums and Mekansm. These can be bought by pretty much any hero and your team should see that someone gets them, support, semi-carry or even sometimes carry. You might very well deviate from your "list" to buy one of these items for your team.

Additionally, Pipe of Insight is great against a magic heavy team and urn of shadows is another team utility / healing item that helps when you want to sustain pushes.

Basically, if you have a grasp on the items, you shouldn't have trouble formulating a plan without a guide before too many games. If you take some basic things into consideration, and even occasionally experiment you will be a much better player and win more games than someone who just skills and buys what a league of legends player tells them to. Oops Freudian slip.

Last edited:

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
Can someone explain to me why Brazilian and Russian people always play on US East?

They have their own servers. All they do is ruin games on US East with no English skills and terrible ping.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
Can someone explain to me why Brazilian and Russian people always play on US East?

They have their own servers. All they do is ruin games on US East with no English skills and terrible ping.

as a Brazilian i can say...

i hate playing in our server...there is ALOT of assholes that play there, US players are usualy way more respectfull :)