Doritos alternative

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Tostitos (the dipping style since they don't break easy) + cheese + oven.

WalMart sells some that I love. Couldn't tell you the brand though ..... hold on...
I think this is them:

Xochitl Corn Chips - 16 oz bag

If not this brand, they are sold in a similar looking bag at Wal-Mart. I don't think it is a Wal-mart house brand so grocers might have it too.

Done.

those are good, very lite. But they break easily...which is fine.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Tostitos (the dipping style since they don't break easy) + cheese + oven.

WalMart sells some that I love. Couldn't tell you the brand though ..... hold on...
I think this is them:

Xochitl Corn Chips - 16 oz bag

If not this brand, they are sold in a similar looking bag at Wal-Mart. I don't think it is a Wal-mart house brand so grocers might have it too.

Done.

I dig these chips as well

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Uh, so plain doritos don't have a replacement in the literally hundreds and hundreds of tortilla chip brands that are available? Santitas, maybe? Those are probably my favorite generic, mass brand that is also relatively cheap $2-2.50 per bag, iirc.

...I had no idea that Doritos made regular tortilla chips. ...what's the point? Though, I guess it's like Pepsi selling their normal, base water as "Dasani" :D

And these are actually produced/owned by Frito-Lay. Who also make Doritos.
http://www.fritolay.com/snacks/product-page/santitas/santitas-yellow-corn-tortilla-chips

Bags are now 11 oz, I remember when it used to be a pound/bag.

I buy those chips as well as Santistas.
images

Calidad has one the lowest sodium content. 90 mg/serving

edit:
Costco carries Mission Brand chips for 3.49 for a three lb bag.
imageService

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I like the calidad if I'm eating plain chips and they are like 99 cents a bag too.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
Calidad restaurant style in the red bag is thinner and crisper than the yellow and white bags. Pretty good.

b7d875ed-db96-468f-8bb8-639773743c26_1.14e4df5a7111dce2e849025951475050.jpeg

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
Any "Cantina style thin" tortilla chip should emulate the resturant style you seek...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I think cheese Doritos are the bomb. I am not a fan of cool ranch Doritos. However, I recently tried Tostitos with a hint of jalepeno & that is a good replacement for cool ranch Doritos...similar flavor, but without the extra dusting, if you don't care for that.

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
I think cheese Doritos are the bomb. I am not a fan of cool ranch Doritos. However, I recently tried Tostitos with a hint of jalepeno & that is a good replacement for cool ranch Doritos...similar flavor, but without the extra dusting, if you don't care for that.
The Hint of Jalapeno and Hint of Lime Tostitos are my favorite.

Sad that they mainly come in the large bags; if I could easily find them in the $1.49/$1.69 bag, I'd never touch Doritos again.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
BTW, I had coupon for a free bag of Kroger brand tortilla chips a couple months ago. I tried their Restaurant Style and they were excellent. These things sell for something like $1.25 a bag and occasionally are on sale for $1. My new standard.

214341.png
I've been very impressed with Kroger chips lately. Aldi has cheaper chips, in general, but I have been very happy with Kroger....except for their Mesquite BBQ chips...stay away from them...too much salt/sugar.

Reactions: Carson Dyle

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Cheese Doritos are the best. Once I open a bag and start eating, I can't stop.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
ah fair enough. Just each company selling their own RO water, at inflated prices....the stuff they use to make their actual, respective products, but they manage to charge more for it. unbelievable!
Interesting, considering coke and Pepsi just sell concentrates to local licensed distributors who then use their own water to make the soft drinks. Did you make this up yourself or did you hear it somewhere else?

I say this as somebody who thinks bottled water is an unnecessary crock of shit, but what you said still doesn't check out.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Interesting, considering coke and Pepsi just sell concentrates to local licensed distributors who then use their own water to make the soft drinks. Did you make this up yourself or did you hear it somewhere else?

I say this as somebody who thinks bottled water is an unnecessary crock of shit, but what you said still doesn't check out.

If a bottler in East Bufu Ohio is using the local tap water to make their licensed soft drinks _and_ they're producing bottled water, then wouldn't it be correct to say they're using the same water?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Uh, so plain doritos don't have a replacement in the literally hundreds and hundreds of tortilla chip brands that are available? Santitas, maybe? Those are probably my favorite generic, mass brand that is also relatively cheap $2-2.50 per bag, iirc.

...I had no idea that Doritos made regular tortilla chips. ...what's the point? Though, I guess it's like Pepsi selling their normal, base water as "Dasani" :D

Back in the day Doritos "corn" chips were the only option besides Nacho Cheese flavored.
that being said, as you stated, there are about a billion alternatives out there for a "plain" corn chip

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

aren't those distributors just Coke or Pepsi distributors, though? So, just sending syrup off to more local factories, for cheaper shipping of the finished product? I'm sure those distributors aren't using tap water.

Granted, I never checked on this myself, but it was at least a dozen or so years ago that this came up. It sounded right enough to me. I mean, why not just sell your RO water? Remeber the Dasani adds with the dude in the bear suit arguing how gross "natural spring water was"? Obviously, they want to convince you that highly filtered tap water is the greatest. Yes, it is perfectly fine water, I know this, but I'm only saying that Dasani and whatever Coke distributes is simply the water used to make their final product.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Back in the day Doritos "corn" chips were the only option besides Nacho Cheese flavored.
that being said, as you stated, there are about a billion alternatives out there for a "plain" corn chip

Boy, I sure don't remember that back-in-the-day. Unless maybe you're talking about some area of the country that didn't even discover tortilla chips until 1995.