Doritos alternative

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Has anyone found some toasted corn chips that are almost identical to the no longer sold ones from Doritos? They were so tasty and I want something like them, might be tough to match them, but hey, without asking I cant possibly find something. I did see some Tostitos that looked close, cantina style or something along those lines.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Which flavor Doritos? There have been dozens of flavors over the years, the majority of which have been discontinued.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
BTW, I had coupon for a free bag of Kroger brand tortilla chips a couple months ago. I tried their Restaurant Style and they were excellent. These things sell for something like $1.25 a bag and occasionally are on sale for $1. My new standard.

214341.png

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
BTW, I had coupon for a free bag of Kroger brand tortilla chips a couple months ago. I tried their Restaurant Style and they were excellent. These things sell for something like $1.25 a bag and occasionally are on sale for $1. My new standard.

214341.png

thats funny you posted that. Was just thinking a second ago about those and jar of hot salsa.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Which flavor Doritos? There have been dozens of flavors over the years, the majority of which have been discontinued.

No flavor really. There was a mostly plain one they had up until some time in the 80s. I'm pretty sure that's what he means.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
thats funny you posted that. Was just thinking a second ago about those and jar of hot salsa.

Which reminds me... I also recently tried the Tostitos brand habenero salsa for the first time and was surprised at how good it was. Pace Chunky has always been my go-to, but this stuff is really tasty.

tostitos-salsa-chunky-habanero.png

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Uh, so plain doritos don't have a replacement in the literally hundreds and hundreds of tortilla chip brands that are available? Santitas, maybe? Those are probably my favorite generic, mass brand that is also relatively cheap $2-2.50 per bag, iirc.

...I had no idea that Doritos made regular tortilla chips. ...what's the point? Though, I guess it's like Pepsi selling their normal, base water as "Dasani" :D

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
If I remember correctly they were somewhere in between Fritos corn chips and the standard tortilla chip in flavor.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Uh, so plain doritos don't have a replacement in the literally hundreds and hundreds of tortilla chip brands that are available? Santitas, maybe? Those are probably my favorite generic, mass brand that is also relatively cheap $2-2.50 per bag, iirc.

...I had no idea that Doritos made regular tortilla chips. ...what's the point? Though, I guess it's like Pepsi selling their normal, base water as "Dasani" :D

They sell a Taco flavor which I like, the plain are just my fav, outside of the normal flavored ones.

doritos-taco-flavor.png

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Yeah, I remember those. They just struck me as being pricey corn chips... or flavorless Doritos. Neither of which I had much use for.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I thought you were talking about these little suckers.

cornchips2.jpg

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011

Dasani is actually a Coca-cola product. Aqua Fina is the equivalent Pepsi swill that you're thinking of.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dasani is actually a Coca-cola product. Aqua Fina is the equivalent Pepsi swill that you're thinking of.

ah fair enough. Just each company selling their own RO water, at inflated prices....the stuff they use to make their actual, respective products, but they manage to charge more for it. unbelievable!

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Has anyone actually ever found true restaurant style tortilla chips in a bag in a grocery store? I never have. The chips I get in most Mexican or Tex-Mex places are all similar. Less "airy", greasier, and usually less salty than anything I've ever found. The surprising (?) thing to me is that most restaurant chips are very similar, yet nobody seems to sell them in stores.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Has anyone actually ever found true restaurant style tortilla chips in a bag in a grocery store? I never have. The chips I get in most Mexican or Tex-Mex places are all similar. Less "airy", greasier, and usually less salty than anything I've ever found. The surprising (?) thing to me is that most restaurant chips are very similar, yet nobody seems to sell them in stores.

There is a chain around here that make them in the stores, but I have not tried them. I doubt it helps you though.

http://superiorgrocers.com/

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
I remember the Nachos Bell Grande Doritos; those were like the best.

Does anyone remember if Frito Lay did other Yum! Brands based Doritos back in the 90s (I think it was the 90s)?

Sep 29, 2004
Tostitos (the dipping style since they don't break easy) + cheese + oven.

WalMart sells some that I love. Couldn't tell you the brand though ..... hold on...
I think this is them:

Xochitl Corn Chips - 16 oz bag

If not this brand, they are sold in a similar looking bag at Wal-Mart. I don't think it is a Wal-mart house brand so grocers might have it too.

Done.

Reactions: jman19

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Tostitos (the dipping style since they don't break easy) + cheese + oven.

WalMart sells some that I love. Couldn't tell you the brand though ..... hold on...
I think this is them:

Xochitl Corn Chips - 16 oz bag

If not this brand, they are sold in a similar looking bag at Wal-Mart. I don't think it is a Wal-mart house brand so grocers might have it too.

Done.

These are the Tostito ones I looked at in the store, they kinda look like the Doritos ones, of course if I cant nail down anything from this thread I can just buy them and see what they are like. Both are Fritolay brands, maybe that will put them close to being the same.

tostitos-cantina-traditional.png