Doom Beta Benchmarks (GameGPU)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I'm old school. Loved Doom, Doom 3, but I hated Rage. Loyal to ID nonetheless.

Super excited for this game and glad performance is solid across a nice breadth of hardware.

I don't want to wait to go to hell.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'm going on tonight, looking forward to it. Definitely a Doom fanboy. I loved Doom 3 even though it was poo-poo'd by the reviewing community at the time

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I played a little and it feels kinda of cheap. It runs fine I guess but Precision X doesn't show up in game and my other program doesn't show FPS in game either. I have no way to monitor performance. Its like playing on a console. You get what you get lol.
Regarding gameplay, it just feels cheap. Sorry but it does. It feels like a sluggish, crappy game. The weapons have no impact. They just spew colors. We'll see.

cnking

Feb 7, 2015
I really hope the single player is good I don't care about multi player I hope they havnt gone fked it up. Beta sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I tried launching this game on my PC, and got the following error message:

FATAL ERROR: GL_ARB_clip_control not available. Please update your video driver.

Sadly, there is no updated video driver that's going to help me here. I have a Radeon HD 6870, and it doesn't support the OpenGL extension that this game is looking for.

It took 5 years, but I've finally run into the first game that this video card can't play. Sad.

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
oh damn! mine is HD5770.So i should upgrade to Polaris.

Edit : I checked with AIDA64 5.60 and it does support.AMD Crimson Version 16.2

Last edited:

cnking

Feb 7, 2015
Oh my days . Glad I'm not even interested in multiplayer. The single player is either going to suck or be brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Yet there's still so many deluded people who deny the data that is so common! Almost every new next-gen game, the same story.

Remember last year, HardwareCanucks did a story about whether Kepler has dropped off? Lots of folks on this very forum used their false data to push an agenda that Kepler is still "doing great, nothing to see here".

We can even go back further, 2012, when PS4/Xbone was known to be using GCN GPUs, some of us correctly called it, that next-gen games will run very well on GCN on the PC at the detriment to Kepler. That the 7970 is much more future proof than the 680.

One has to laugh when those threads are re-read today, the 680 with it's ~20W advantage over the 7970 was praised by many here like the second coming of Jesus. All 2GB of it. Heck, the hype even got to me, I went out and bought a gtx 670 only to see it age so poorly compared to my 7950.

As a GTX 780 owner... yeah, I agree with everything you said. I bought into the hype and have watched GCN age very well. My backup box has a 7970 that paid for itself many many times over, that machine plays the same as the 780 box. 7950/7970 has to be one of the best, if not the best bang for your buck GPU of all time. It will be relevant for years to come.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
I tried launching this game on my PC, and got the following error message:

FATAL ERROR: GL_ARB_clip_control not available. Please update your video driver.

Sadly, there is no updated video driver that's going to help me here. I have a Radeon HD 6870, and it doesn't support the OpenGL extension that this game is looking for.

It took 5 years, but I've finally run into the first game that this video card can't play. Sad.

Yeah, that's a GL 4.4 extension, and the game requires 4.5.
The 6870 supports 4.4, but not that extension I guess.

Mar 10, 2006
Regarding gameplay, it just feels cheap. Sorry but it does. It feels like a sluggish, crappy game. The weapons have no impact. They just spew colors. We'll see.

YES, THANK YOU. That is EXACTLY how I would describe the MP beta :(

After giving this thing multiple tries, I needed to wash the bad taste away with many, many rounds of Black Ops 3.

Still holding out hope that the single-player is mind-blowing.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
YES, THANK YOU. That is EXACTLY how I would describe the MP beta :(

After giving this thing multiple tries, I needed to wash the bad taste away with many, many rounds of Black Ops 3.

Still holding out hope that the single-player is mind-blowing.

After playing the Doom Beta again , I agree with you. Back on COD BO3.:D

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
The Doom Open Beta multiplayer is developed by a third party studio Certain Affinity - only the single player Campaign is designed by ID in house.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
The melee kill thing was just a bad call. It seems fairly halo influenced, which is not a good thing. At the same time, they try and channel Quake without actually replicating the parts that made Quake fun. It's not terrible but I just cant see the MP selling me on it. I'll wait for reviews on the single player campaign