Doom 4 Coming Sooner Than You Think ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
I'm not expecting much from DOOM 4, DOOM 3 was decent, nothing very bad, but certainly not as fun as other FPS'es around, it just wasn't my taste I guess, DOOM was never pseudo horror and suspense, it was about mindless action, id Software took another path with DOOM 3 and some really liked it, some hated it (I guess I'd put myself in the middle, it was just so-so, although I did liked the last parts in the Hell levels quite a lot), if DOOM 4 can go back to the roots and leave the horror theme behind I would be happy, but I'm sure that others would disagree, it's fine, I just want my real DOOM back, not just a "re-make" of DOOM II, but I want more focus on action and less so on attempts at trying to make me jump out of fear because the oh-so predictable hidden Imp in the next dark corner jumped at me, that was just failure... also the whole flashlight concept was made primarily to showcase the lightning and shadows effects which back then were amazing, but as a game-play mechanic it just contributed to piss me off.

Anyway, ultimately time will tell, hopefully it won't be disappointing.

I found the original Doom to be quite scary when I played it for the first time. Most of the areas were pretty dark, and monsters at least twice your size would come running at you out of no where. It wasn't quite as slow paced as Doom 3 was, but it was definitely a horror game, not just an action game.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The mod-mappers did one hell of a job for Doom 3. If it is easy for unpaid "novices" to do amazing maps, then I sure hope they can find better talent for D4. Not even the industrial-like labs seem very futuristic until you're at the gateways. We also need more creepy and uneasiness in the levels. The Hell and ending level were the only ones that appeared they put any artistic effort into.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I hit a point in the game where this mechanic just ruined it for me. I remember the specific scene, there were a couple of steps up, and a closet looking thing on the side of a hallway. I look at it, and think "there's an imp or something in that locker." I mean there was never any doubt, I absolutely knew he was there. And there was nothing I could do except walk up to the trigger point. That, and I got really tired of swapping out the flashlight. A trillion dollar facility on Mars and they've apparently forgotten about battery powered emergency lighting and duck tape.

I will share my story about the one time I got sweet sweet revenge on an imp.

Our story starts on the level where you keep running from airlock to airlock. I had just entered an airlock from outside when I heard the tell tale moaning of a zombie.

So I charged the room and shot the zombie in the head point-blank with the shotgun. Only 1/2 the shot missing due to the excessive spread killing the zombie. I then retreated into the airlock.

A strange thing happened then. The rag-doll physics frakked up and the zombie spent the next minute falling while doing what can only be described as the "Robot". I stayed in the airlock watching with amusement.

Once the Zombie fell that was the trigger for an Imp to beam in behind me. Except I was in the airlock, as far back as possible....

Mr. Imp beamed in right in front of me with the back of it's head to my BoomStick (TM).

Surprise Sucka!

Last edited:

Muscles

Jul 16, 2003
John Carmack had the FPS world by the balls and he royally screwed up...Doom 3 was horrendous IMO, there was no compelling reason to play it...the single player sucked and the multiplayer sucked...

could care less about Doom 4 and my guess is that most people will not care either...

QFT. I always thought the original Quake was what put id software on top. Unfortunately for them every game they've released since then has been down hill.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I think the simple minds are the ones who needed a flashlight.
there's a crucial element to accuracy known as target acquisition. Maybe you spray and pray but I like to actually verify what I'm shooting at before I take the shot to help conserve ammo and bring down targets efficiently. This lead to the annoying redundancy of having to click extra buttons where I'd be running around with a flashlight, spot a target, and just quickly tap another button to bring up a weapon and take out the target, then hit the button to bring the flashlight back up.

Sure, there are several instances where the flashlight is not needed, imps throwing glowing fire balls at you reveal their positions, as well as whenever an enemy spawns/warps in that action will create quite a bit of light as well as sound to help give up their position so if you act quick enough you can find and kill them before they can move into the shadows.

I seem to recall the original Doom having very dark places without a flashlight.
The original Doom was all software and was "2.5D" and the overall environment really was much brighter.

That was part of the intensity of it, namely that you would see a flame ball flying towards you without seeing the Imp. I have a feeling people played Doom 3 just creeping around slowly with a flashlight. IMO that is not the way to play it since it would be boring. I just ran around sprinting killing everything without a flashlight (just like the original Doom) and had a blast. Run and gun was what Doom was always about.
Well they decided to try and make Doom 3 something else, and unfortunately it didn't turn out to be as good as it could have been.

Ultimately, the problem with the flashlight / lighting in Doom 3 isn't an inability to cope with it and thus wanting to be pampered, it takes a whopping 2 extra key presses (one to bring up a weapon, and another to bring back the flashlight, rinse/repeat as needed) to overcome and ingrain as a habbit, its not that hard, it just annoying and ultimately amounts to busy work, we're supposed to be playing a game.

MistaFreeze

Feb 18, 2009
I love all the Doom games. I've recently beat Doom on PS1 and working on the Doom2. They are awesome. Doom 3 I play from time to time on the 360 which surprisingly runs smooth. The graphics are still awesome to this day IMO.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I love all the Doom games. I've recently beat Doom on PS1 and working on the Doom2. They are awesome. Doom 3 I play from time to time on the 360 which surprisingly runs smooth. The graphics are still awesome to this day IMO.
Why would you play Doom on consoles when any computer would run them fine?

MistaFreeze

Feb 18, 2009
Why would you play Doom on consoles when any computer would run them fine?

Well I have played Doom3 back in the 6800Ultra days. I like my home theater setup and using the poor PS2 from time to time. No real reason though.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Hopefully it will be a bit more like dead space than doom 3. I hated the "catch up with the surviving marines" thing they had going and you never catch up to them, you are alone the entire game and anybody you do meet either dies within 5 seconds or goes batshit insane, thats not much fun IMO. Too many levels not enough storyline/depth. Not that im complaining about the length of a game, longer is better imo but i hold quality over quantity.

Dead space pulled off the being alone most of the time thing well as i wasent particularly aware of it there were other people running around and you met up with them to continue the story on occasion which was cool, doom 3 didnt do this and got boring after a while.

Oh also i hope they ditch the health/armor system, it was a drag in doom 3 and its a drag in any game without a halo like shield. Regenerating health is much better and if done correctly dosent make the game easier just removes the annoying hunt for medpacks in case a boss shows up soon aspect. Skill should kill enemies, not ability to find things :)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Off topic posts relating to my previous warnings have been removed.

This topic is about Doom 4, not about sheep or NZ.

The next person that goes off topic in similar fashion will get a vacation.

Super Moderator BFG10K.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
I still find it unbelievable that Rage and Doom are being released at least 7 years after the last flagship. I know there have been worse delays, but 7 years is still pretty pathetic.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Oh also i hope they ditch the health/armor system, it was a drag in doom 3 and its a drag in any game without a halo like shield. Regenerating health is much better and if done correctly dosent make the game easier just removes the annoying hunt for medpacks in case a boss shows up soon aspect. Skill should kill enemies, not ability to find things :)
I mean no disrespect to you and yours, but I hate you. :) (jk of course)

Regenerative health is the worst thing to happen to gaming since... I really can't think of anything worse.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Regenerative health is the worst thing to happen to gaming since... I really can't think of anything worse.

Regenerative health is no more ridiculous than picking up hundreds of band-aids after being filled with lead for days.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Fuck John Carmack, fuck Id, fuck Doom 3, and fuck Doom 4.

Also, I love Quake.

I understand the sentiment, but as I've said in the past, I give Id Software a lot more leniency than other developers. They have the talent at any given time to develop the best fucking game on the market, whether they deliver on that or not is another thing, but I will never give up on them unless Carmack walks out. He may have lost focus with all his little side projects, but he is still a brilliant damn coder, he always will be. I'd like to see him move away from the 'locked 30 fps' garbage though.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Regenerative health is no more ridiculous than picking up hundreds of band-aids after being filled with lead for days.
I never mentioned anything about realism, and don't care in even the slightest bit about it here. I hate health regeneration because it makes games extremely easy, removes any tense moments from having low health, and fundamentally changes the entire way the gamer plays. With no penalty for being shot or damaged, there's no reason to play carefully, no reason to value your life. Might as well charge into every room guns blazing, and regardless of how horrible you play, as long as you don't die you know you'll be able to do the exact same thing over and over again in every fire fight with no penalty. Health regeneration completely ruins everything I enjoy about shooters (at least in nearly every implementation I've played).

Last edited:

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
there's a crucial element to accuracy known as target acquisition. Maybe you spray and pray but I like to actually verify what I'm shooting at before I take the shot to help conserve ammo and bring down targets efficiently.

While using a flashing tells any baddie exactly where you are...and gets you killed.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Regenerative health is retarded. It's a giant mistake eraser. I agree with motsm. I remember playing Doom 2 and getting stuck with low health, you start running your entire strategy through your head, thinking about how if you hadn't made that mistake you'd be good right now - so you reach that point where you can replay the level better or pull off an ungodly miracle. I like that kind of stuff.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Hopefully it will be a bit more like dead space than doom 3.

I agree with you on this one. Doom 3 seemed like it tried to meet an evolutionary step, but only met it half way with the game mechanics and story. If it wants to be a run and gunner, stick with the formula of maps and guns. However if it wants to be a horror/sci-fi shooter then need to concentrate on better character development, mystery elements, and atmospheric immersion.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

This. Regenerative health is a bane on the existance of gaming.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I never mentioned anything about realism, and don't care in even the slightest bit about it here. I hate health regeneration because it makes games extremely easy, removes any tense moments from having low health, and fundamentally changes the entire way the gamer plays. With no penalty for being shot or damaged, there's no reason to play carefully, no reason to value your life. Might as well charge into every room guns blazing, and regardless of how horrible you play, as long as you don't die you know you'll be able to do the exact same thing over and over again in every fire fight with no penalty. Health regeneration completely ruins everything I enjoy about shooters (at least in nearly every implementation I've played).

I never mentioned anything about realism either.
:sneaky:
I bet Freud would have all sorts of fun with you.